cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tennis Grand Slams (US Open 2014)

Community Veteran

Tennis Grand Slams (US Open 2014)

The first of the summer Grand Slams in tennis starts tomorrow in Paris with the start of the French Open. This will be followed of course with Wimbledon and finally The US Open in August.
Nadal is the No.1 seed and it seems hard not to see him winning a tournament he has made his own over the years, although I'd love to see Djokovic win as it's the one Slam he's never won.
The first 16 mens Seeds are:

1 Rafael Nadal Spain
2 Novak Djokovic Serbia
3 Stan Wawrinka Switzerland
4 Roger Federer Switzerland
5 David Ferrer Spain
6 Tomas Berdych Czech Republic
7 Andy Murray United Kingdom
8 Milos Raonic Canada
9 Kei Nishikori Japan
10 John Isner United States
11 Grigor Dimitrov Bulgaria
12 Richard Gasquet France
13 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga France
14 Fabio Fognini Italy
15 Mikhail Youzhny Russia
16 Tommy Haas
105 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tennis Grand Slams (Wimbledon 2014)

The top 16 in the women's seeds are:
1 Serena Williams United States
2 Na Li China
3 Agnieszka Radwanska Poland
4 Simona Halep Romania
5 Petra Kvitova Czech Republic
6 Jelena Jankovic Serbia
7 Maria Sharapova Russia
8 Angelique Kerber Germany
9 Dominika Cibulkova Slovakia
10 Sara Errani Italy
11 Ana Ivanovic Serbia
12 Flavia Pennetta Italy
13 Caroline Wozniacki Denmark
14 Carla Suarez Navarro Spain
15 Sloane Stephens United States
16 Sabine Lisicki Germany
It's also good news that we have had Heather Watson and James Ward come through the qualifiers. Good luck to them both Smiley
Community Veteran

James Ward couldn't overcome Tommy Robredo and lost in 4 sets but congratulations to Heather Watson who got through to the second round in a 2 set victory Smiley
Murray plays this afternoon.
Community Veteran

Wawrinka losing was a big shock for me. Na Li also was a surprise, but women's tennis can be tough to call sometimes.
Almagro/Haas I am not sure what happened there.
Are you off to Wimbledon?
Community Veteran

Yes off to Wimbledon. My centre court tickets arrived last week but still waiting for my No. 1 Court ones. Also this year I have had to get a further 3 pairs of centre Court tickets as I have friends visiting from the US.
As you say  a surprise to see Wawrinka and Na Li going out so early. They are having some terrible weather at Roland Garros and this could have played its part.
Murray is through to the next round.
PitchBlack
Grafter

Has Hantuchova played yet, I had a look on the French Open page but couldn't see her name.
never mind, I found her, won in the first round and plays Claire Feuerstein in the second.
Community Veteran

Surprise exit of Serena Williams the defending champion.
Community Veteran

Women's tournament has had surprises left, right and centre. Very open now.
I think we're looking at another Djokovic v Nadal final in the men's tournament.
Community Veteran

I put my cards on the table early on and said I'd like to see Djokovic win, if only because it's the one Grand Slam he hasn't won. Having said that I feel Nadal will add another French to his list of achievements. It really is his surface  Smiley
So let's look ahead and see who should win the Grand Slams. My bet is:
French nadal
Wimbledon Djokovic
US Djokovic..
Any other suggestions?
randpwar
Grafter

Two excellent Q/F’s in prospect today with Nadal taking on compatriot Ferrer and Murray taking on the mercurial Frenchman Monfils.
I think the game between the Spaniards is too close to call. Nadal isn’t the unbeatable clay courter of a couple of years back and Ferrer beat him last time out. I’d pick Nadal if I really had to jump of the fence but wouldn’t be shocked at all if Ferrer did him again. I reckon the Murray game is probably easier to call. Monfils is a magnificent athlete and chases down some incredible gets but Murray doesn’t outrank him without reason. As long as Murray can overcome what will be a very noisy home crowd I think he’s got too many shots and  well, just too bigger game for Monfils.
Not a slam but the first English grass tournament of the season takes place at Nottingham this week with British no’s 2 +3 (Dan Evans and James Ward) taking part. Ward is in form winning against higher ranked players to qualify for the French Open. This is a Challenger tournament so is at a level lower than the full ATP tour but still important to the younger British players both in terms of matching themselves against top 100 players and also potential earnings above what they could normally expect in lower level tournaments. Seem to recall seeing somewhere that the grass season is toi be extended by a week from next season with this tournament being elevated to a ATP 250 tournament and therefore on the full tour and Queen’s also being elevated to a 500 from a 250
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you about Nadal being the victor but don't think it will be as close as you do. It will depend to some extent on Nadal's health as he seems to be having problems with his back again.  Murray should beat Monfils but as you say he has to overcome the crowd as well. Hopefully he will keep his cool.
I'm pleased to see my man Djokovic is through. Will this be his year?
I heard the rumour about Queen's being regraded but not heard anything about Nottingham. I may be meeting up with one of their officials for coffee next week so will see what I can find out.
@randpwar, are you going to Nottingham?
randpwar
Grafter

Would love to go to Nottingham artmo but I have to earn a crust; I’ll follow results as and when I can.
I may have heard about Nottingham from the 606v2 forum that took over when the BBC closed its forum of the same name
Aah! Found it. Yep, Nottingham to be a 250 ATP event from next year. Ironically I suppose this could mean less involvement (and experience thereof) from lesser ranked British players
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/02/7/ATP-World-Tour-2015-Calendar.aspx
Community Veteran

So we now know the finals in the Mens and Womens singles.
Men - Djokovic will play Nadal
Women - Sharapova will play Hapel

I'm really looking forward to Djokovic v Nadal. My fingers are crossed for Djokovic Smiley
And then it's all about the UK grass court season culminating with Wimbledon which starts on 23rd June.  Here's a taster:
Wimbledon 2014
Community Veteran

I'm not normally a fan of womens tennis but this afternoon's match was one of the most exciting I've seen. Both girls played some very good tennis with Sharapova coming out the victor Smiley
Community Veteran

The Mens final wasn't a classic yesterday but still there was some excellent tennis with some excellent play from both players. Nadal took his 5th consecutive Championship in France. Well done Smiley Smiley