cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tennis Grand Slams - Australian, French, Wimbledon and US

Community Veteran

Tennis Grand Slams - Australian, French, Wimbledon and US

The Australian Open starts on Monday. My bet is on Djokovic, but Murray shouldn't be written off. He's been putting in a lot of work to improve his fitness recently.
In the women's draw Williams will take some beating and should win.
Seeds
53 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Tennis Grand Slams - Australian, French, Wimbledon and US

Good to see Kyle Edmund come through 3 rounds of qualifying to make his first Grand Slam main draw; Liam Brody almost did the same but lost in the final round of qualifying. Good to see the two youngsters having some success as both have improved their rankings dramatically over the last 12 months
Murray made a good start to his Australian Open campaign by gaining a straightforward win against a qualifier in his first round. He’s the only British player playing today with James Ward getting a direct entry, owing to a couple of withdrawals, owing to his current high ranking, and Heather Watson the only British lady player in the main draw. She looks to be in great form having won the second tournament of her career last week
Community Veteran

Yes I agree with your comments about our 2 young boys. They have done well and I hope they improve throughout the year.
Heather Watson has really returned to the circuit in cracking form. Good luck to her. One to watch Smiley
Community Veteran

A fair few womens' seeds lost today - men were more consistent.
Andy Murray has a tough draw looking at it.
Community Veteran

Murray plays a local guy, Matosevic, in the next round. Matosevic was World No 39 but that was back in 2013. It won't be an easy match for Murray especially as the crowd should be behind Matosevic.
randpwar
Grafter

If all goes to seeding, Murray will play Federer in the q/f, Nadal in the semi and Djokovic in the final. Given recent history winning a game between the ‘top 4’ takes so much out of the winner that further progress is very difficult indeed, and, of course, with Murray now ranked outside the top 4 he starts to meet the others in the quarters; a round earlier. I think he’s also got a couple of good ‘spoilers’ up to the q/f (Dimitrov?). Nadal is back after a fairly long layoff and whilst I’d never rule him out I’m less confident he’ll make it through
Community Veteran

Rafa Nadal is using a new racket at the Australian. I heard about this some time ago but hadn't seen it used so far. There is a microchip in the handle that records the type of shot and its velocity. It became legal from the start of the year.
New Racket
It will be interesting to see what benefits he gets from the technology.
randpwar
Grafter

Nadal is currently in a right old dogfight with Smyczek, a qualifier. 1 set all and 5-6 down with numerous breaks of serve in this set
Community Veteran

Maybe the new racket has a technical fault Wink
Community Veteran

Federer knocked out but Murray makes it to the second week.  I wonder what this does for Fed's future?
Community Veteran

A strange loss, but he'll continue.
Community Veteran

He's going to find it harder keeping up with the present set of players and may decide it's time to retire whilst he's at the top.
randpwar
Grafter

Murray and Djokovic seem to be smoothly going through the field. Nadal struggled in the 2nd round but had a straight sets win today
Murray has a very difficult next round where he takes on Dimitrov who beat him at Wimbledon last summer, if he wins he will have the winner of the young Aussie that beat Nadal at Wimbledon, Kyrgios and Federer's defeator, Seppi . Djokovic looks to have the easier run with probably only the defending champion Stan Wawrinka in his half likely to give him worries. Nadal takes on the very tall big serving Saffer Kevin Anderson
I'll stick my neck out as far as it can go and say Djokovic beating Murray in the Final....you heard it here first!
Community Veteran

Ah!! You must have missed my first post Smiley Djokovic has made this tournament his own over the years and I expect him to add to his record this year.
randpwar
Grafter

Yep, you're right artmo......ah well, you heard it here second  Wink