cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted by pretty numbers

David_W
Rising Star

Tempted by pretty numbers

So I'm on an exchange which will never be market 3, it has 3 providers, 2 of which are the same.  There is no date for 21CN so for the foreseeable future I'm stuck on an 8Mb line, although in fairness I actually get 8Mb, well, 8096 with 30 attenuation and 8db margin.
Putting those figures into Kitz, LLU would give me an extra 500k/sec or only 100k/sec if I dropped to 29 attenuation, wonder if I can.  But I'm looking at least doubling my speed and getting 14,160 profile, compared to the 7,000 I'm currently getting.
Double speed, big numbers, 14Mb and only one major problem, the two words that fill everyone with dread.... Talk Talk
It's so tempting when you see those big numbers to go "oh gosh, I so want that" especially when you see people actually downloading at those types of speeds on broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and, even with the name Talk Talk, it's tempting, I just know the cold callers are going to call soon....  Luckily I love Force9 and will only leave when/if 21CN arrives at my exchange, but still, these ISP's are sent to test us......
8 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Tempted by pretty numbers

Hi David, Indeed they are sent to tempt us, Checkout my thread i started not long ago here....http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86069.0.html
Needless to say im thinking im being greedy wanting more DL Speed when PN deliver me 6.5 Meg, More than happy with that and trust PN more than id ever trust talk talk.. Smiley
Fixes: 104

Headline speeds are one thing... your actual throughput might be something else to
Will Moderate For Thanks
David_W
Rising Star

I think it's more tempting for us people in rural areas.  BT are not upgrading us to 21CN any time soon, we're not even on their list yet, so the only way I'm going to enjoy 21st century speeds is by switching to TT, although it's debatable if I'd get 21st century speeds with them Tongue  My sister is already with TT but they haven't switched her to 20Mb line speed and she doesn't complain that the line is slow, just that her computer is slow.
Community Veteran

i had a lovely chap from talk talk come to flog me a package, but i couldn't pin him down that i would thus be ditching plus.net.  he had a wonderful line in bs, but he'd introduced the warning words 'talk' and 'talk', so i resisted his blandishments and, after a cuppa and a splendid chat, he went on his way.
i later got a telephone call from a much less charming specimen who ended the call when i told him that what i had learned about talk talk was nothing good.
not even a narrow escape.  a rival isp will have to go a long way to outdo the deal i have with plus.net.  it may not be the fastest speed; it may not have the ne plus ultra in customer service, but it beats hands down anything on offer anywhere else.
SRD
Grafter

I was with Tiscali, cheap as chips and the performance and service to go with it, but it was just good enough, I didn't actually think it could get much worse, but then it was taken over by TalkTalk and the performance fell through the floor.  I was constantly fighting with the 'insufficient bandwidth' messages (I think that's to do with contention rates isn't it?), Speeds varied from a few hundred Kb (yes Kb) to the max suggested for my line of around 6.5Mb (despite us being within 100 yards of the exchange).  Since shifting to plusnet, speeds have dropped a little, I'm getting around 4.5Mb regularly, which is good enough for me, but I very rarely have insufficient bandwidth problems.  I think pn's contention rates are at 50:1, as far as I know Tiscali always refused to publish theirs which suggests much higher ones.  I'm sure TT (who won't supply this exchange with their products despite half the place having been with Tiscali at some point) are deliberately reducing their service to the Tiscali customers who are on such a cheap deal.
David_W
Rising Star

Aye, that's the thing with PlusNet, they are absolutely brilliant, the service they offer is fantastic, the speeds you get (when not over 13Gb) is fantastic, it's an all-round excellent package which could only probably be matched by a small technical ISP.  In a way it makes me glad my exchange isn't 21CN updated, I don't think any ISP will have the friendly staff who pop into a forum for a chat and a biscuit, and no other ISP will ever have a Jamesh!
James
Grafter

Technically Pipex and Tiscali already have but that's not the point....
David, going on your 13GB comment, I'm guessing that you're on our old Premier product.  Are none of the new ones not a bit more suitable (and cheaper) for you?
David_W
Rising Star

I'm on Premier 3, the 13Gb suits me perfectly although going over can be a nightmare.  I prefer it because of the peak hours being different and the bandwidth management seems better suited to my uses.  At the moment (for instance) I'm uploading 180Mb of photos and there are no throttles in place until 4pm.
I'm starting an Open University course soon (October, computers and maths, joy!) which will give me access to Dream Spark, I enjoy the knowledge that I can download from Microsoft at full speed at 2pm and not have to worry about getting into monitoring (or throttling) until 4pm, so when my OU login details arrive (my brother got his via email, why couldn't I?) I can download Visual Studio 2010, Server 2008 R2, Expression Studio etc.. at a reasonable time.
In my opinion, Premier 3 is the perfect package, if I switched to the new 60Gb I'd save £3 a month but lose 8 hours a day so my way of thinking, I'm paying more and getting more, even if I never get anywhere near using 60Gb between 8am-midnight.  It's ok, my logic does tend to give people headaches Cheesy