cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted by TalkTalk... oh dear!

Fixes: 124

Tempted by TalkTalk... oh dear!

TT have recenetly installed their equipment at our exchange which is ADSLMax only.
I have carried out an estimated speed check and they indicate that I could get between 5.2 & 11.4Mbps with it most likely being 8.3. That is more than twice I'm getting. Also, seeing as it's all brand new equipment I am wondering whether it is likely to me more stable than with BT's. My line is quite long with an Att of 47 and I have had problems if I have tried to push things to get more than 4Mpps which it is now and ha been stable for some months.
I'm aware of the poor CS and it being basd outside of the UK but the cost for the first 9 months is a quarter of what I'm now paying and will be half once the 9 months is up. Also their upload speed is 1M whereas I'm paying a premium to get around 0.6!
Financially it's a no-brainer but I've been with PN for 9 years and would hate to leave this community.
Change of email is not an issue if I can have my 4 domains hosted by TT. But another downside is the 12 month contract. If I don't get the speeds promised I can't find a get-out clause.
Not an easy decision as money is tight but I need reliability and support.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Tempted by TalkTalk... oh dear!

Hi Mav,
There is only one way you are going to find out if TT is for you and that is to just go for it, You have 30 days I think to change your mind if all does not go well, I moved because Plusnet was expensive compared to TT, Not a heck of a lot of choice at my exchange but have to count my blessings Its a Market 2 exchange
The TalkTalk forum support Is really good but you do need patience if you use them as they don't answer straight away, 24-48hrs Is the norm for them but It is worth It.
Great speeds and very stable connection both home phone and broadband and my line Is Att 27.5. The saving is truly wonderful and you get a 40GB package or unlimited, I am on the 40GB package, More than what I need but also more than plusnet's 10GB.
Edit...Also have a look through this thread...http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41357

Thanks Steve
Now why didn't the manager I spoke to inform me of the 30 days you mentioned. When I said I was concerned about being stuck in a 12 month contract for a service that didn't match up to what I required he basically said it would and that's it!
I would be saving in the region of £21.92 per month for the first 9 months, £14.67 thereafter. That's a whopping £241.29 in the next year!
I am still trying to ascertain whether I can have my domains hosted with them like I do with PN viz just the Nameservers changed. Nothing specific on TT's website but there is mention of it in their forum although I've yet to find out how it's done. I expect, at the worst I can chnage the Nameservers back to 123reg's and use forwarding - I don't think there's any extra charge for doing that.
Is it easy to set up and manage several email addresses with them that I can forward the domain emails addresses to? e.g. mav@domainname.org.uk to mav@sometalktalk address?
I'm in a Market 1 exchange and TT is the only LLU option. I have only had to contact TT CS once before when I neighbour at my last address has problems. TBH the knowledge that CS agent had you could have put on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare Cheesy
The next thing will be to ask PN if I can return, should the experience with TT be unhappy, within a specific period and go back to the package I am currently on which is legacy but it suits my needs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Steve
Pro

That is a big 'ask' of PN, I don't think they would let you do that, You can have upto 5 TalkTalk email addresses for free.
choo
Grafter

Primus (who use both bt's network & talk-talk wholesale  network) are also offering Phone with evening/weekends plus 40gig broadband usage  allowance for £13.99pm with shorter 12month tie in. (Lots of info on the moneysaving sites Smiley

I did ring PN retentions and got a nice offer if I were to move my phone to PN as well Smiley
Sadly it was still a bit higher that TT's offer even after the first 9 month's promotion. Also there is the factor of the extra DL speed I would most likely gain from the move as well as faster upload included in the package. I was concerned about the lack of clarification of the FUP stated on their website but a further call and I was assured that the FUP does NOT relate to the Plus package.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I am still trying to ascertain whether I can have my domains hosted with them like I do with PN viz just the Nameservers changed. Nothing specific on TT's website but there is mention of it in their forum although I've yet to find out how it's done. I expect, at the worst I can chnage the Nameservers back to 123reg's and use forwarding - I don't think there's any extra charge for doing that.

I'd be very surprised if TT can host your domains. Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if they had anyone who understood what you meant by hosting domains Smiley
You would almost certainly have to use 123reg's email forwarding.

The decision's been made and I've jumped ship to TT. Overall savings on the first year between what I currently pay to PN (& BT) and TT will be £336.12! Even with the offer from retentions I'll still be saving £171.60.
Couple that with the potential higher UL/DL speeds it seemed the best way to go.
I should be live with TT within 19 days. Obviously no MAC required but what do I do now in respect to PN? I assume I just tell them so they get 10 days' notice. I've never really taken much note of what to do when leaving as I never thought I would.
Perhaps this thread should be moved to Accounts & Billing?

Edit: I am concerned that if I give notice too early I may be without BB for a few days - just want to make sure it all goes as smoothly as posible.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are you on the PlusNet Platinum service !
I'm on PN Value, but admittedly only 466 metres from the BT Exchange.

No - why do ask?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Mav, You are a fool for going to TalkTalk StalkStalk.

Time will tell...
If PN were to have a better/cheaper unlimited package plus I was connected to a 21CN or Fibre exchange I would not hesitate to come back. But times are tough and I need to save whatever money I can where possible Sad
As for TT's customer service as they have a bigger customer base there are bound to be many more unhappy customer plus, possibly, many more happy ones. The way I see it customer service, especially with broadband, is a two-way street and patience plays a large part of getting issues sorted along with asking the right questions and giving all the necessary informaton. How many times have we seen posters in our own forums complaining but not being prepared to put any effort into assisting the teams here in getting things resolved?
Yes support at Plusnet Is excellent but even that falls short for some at times. I've been lucky and have also learnt a great deal from the members of the forum. My knowledge is much greater than when I first Joined PN and I hope it will aid me should I meet any future problems.

CX
Grafter

TalkTalk have a dictionary of difficult words on their site:
Dictionary of Difficult Words
This particular entry could perhaps have some additional synonyms added - TalkTalk, Tiscali.
I can't believe how difficult it is to get these clowns to delete old FTP space for an account that has not been used for about 7 years. Supposedly they used to be able to do it, but now can't due to "Data Protection" because they have no way of verifying the details. Here's an idea, geniuses, if you haven't billed an account since 2004, and it hasn't been connected to your network since 2004, why don't you just go ahead and delete it when the person who owns that account requests. The account holder can't even log in via FTP to do anything with it anyway, so I don't see what the problem is.
What are they afraid of? The only scenario I can imagine is this: Somebody, who I ticked off on a dead forum 7 years ago still holds a grudge. They made a note of my email address, having hacked into that old forum to discover it, and decided to hunt me down 7 years later to hack into my Tiscali webmail account (no broadband, no FTP access, no bank details) and use that account to sign up to a TalkTalk forum just to get my seriously-outdated personal website deleted. Yeah, that would show me, wouldn't it.  Roll eyes
I suppose TalkTalk spend too much time harassing old ladies into signing up for their shoddy service. You'd think that when they've been told on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that you are not interested, they wouldn't call again on the Thursday.
LLU might seem tempting at times (albeit not so much any more due to BT's improvements and TT's DLM), but inability to deal with simple requests makes them a no-no for me.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Midnight
@Mav, You are a fool for going to TalkTalk StalkStalk.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Goodluck Mav Smiley

I parted with my money a long time ago Roll eyes
I will add that if the move turns out to be a mistake it is MY mistake and I will have learnt from it  Cool