cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Televisions

Community Veteran

Re: Televisions

And the Samsung wins. Although not the 26" version but the 32" Cheesy
Only thing now is a ancient sky remote that can't control it and BBC 1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 as well as assorted others can't be found on freeview. Analogue works fine as does sky...
Community Veteran

Don't you need to teach the Sky remote a code to make it control a telly (one code per manufacturer) - at least that was what I had to do when I changed telly's recently...
Community Veteran

Yup, the code for our telly doesn't work, Lakes (where we bought it from) rang sky and they reckon the remote is too old, we're going to get sky + at some point anyway, so we'll get a new remote then...
Liam
Grafter

I've not managed to get my Sky remote to control the Samsung either.  Oh well, not too much of a problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Try using a code for another make/model you con often get some functionality this way.
Community Veteran

I don't know if this will help at all....
http://www.sky.com/Assets/PDF/StaticFiles/10834503.pdf
This is what the online help says about remotes working with the TV
First reset your Sky remote, then follow the programming procedure below.
Reset the Sky remote control
1. Point the Sky remote away from your TV and press tv
2. Press and hold select and the red button simultaneously until the red light at the top of your Sky remote flashes twice.
3. Press the number 9 three times. The red light at the top of your Sky remote should flash twice.
Sky Remote Control Unit Programming Procedure
Please note: You will need the TV Setup Codes on page 7 of our Using Your Sky Remote Control pdf.
1. Select any channel on your TV.
2. Point your Sky remote away from the TV and press tv
3. Press and hold down select and the red button simultaneously until the red light at the top of your Sky remote flashes twice.
4. Input the Sky remote control code and press select . The red LED at the top of the Sky remote control should flash twice.
5. Point your Sky remote at the TV and try the volume button. If this works try other TV functions. If these work then the correct code has been selected.
Please note that some TV functions, such as Picture in Picture, are not supported by the Sky remote control.
6. If tv functions do not work correctly when you check them, please follow steps 1-3 again, trying a different TV Setup Code from page 7 of our Using Your Sky Remote Control pdf, until you find the code which supports all or as many of the AV amplifier functions as possible.
If you’re still not having any success, and haven’t used your Sky remote with this TV before, it is likely that the model of TV is not supported.
If you have used your Sky remote on this TV before and it no longer works, please check the batteries.

I hope this is of some use.
Roger.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I hope what follows will be of some help for you. If you can't find the code needed for your particular TV from the book or the net then go straight to the last section, to find how how to get the code needed directly from your TV and remote themselves.

TO PROGRAM THE remote USING THE 3 DIGIT CODE:

1. Turn on the TV receiver
2. Press TV on the Sky Remote Control
3. Hold down SELECT and the RED buttons together for approximately two seconds, until the RED LED on the Sky remote blinks twice.
4. Enter three digit code from list for the receiver
5. Press select to enter code structure.
TO PROGRAM THE remote USING THE 4 DIGIT CODE:
1. Turn your TV on.
2. Press tv on your Sky remote control.
3. Hold down select and the red button together for about two seconds, until the red light on the Sky remote control blinks twice.
4. Press tv on your Sky remote control again.
5. Key in the four digit code for your brand of TV. The light on the Sky remote control blinks twice. If the light blinks once only, recheck the code for your brand of TV and start again at Step 1.
6. Press the standby button on your Sky remote control. If your TV switches off, press select. The light on the Sky remote control blinks twice (code stored). If your TV does not switch off, press tv, then press the standby button. Repeat this (press tv, then standby) until your TV turns off, then press select (stores code).
If at this point the LED on the Sky remote control blinks three times then all possible codes for that make of receiver have been checked. Repeat from step one, ensuring that you enter the correct manufacturer code.
At the end of the sequence, if you see the TV Guide screen, the remote control setup process is complete. If you did not see the TV Guide screen, you must now complete the following steps.
8. Press tv on your Sky remote control.
9. Hold down select and the green button together for about two seconds, until the red light on the Sky remote control blinks twice.
10. Key in the number of the channel on your TV that you use for watching satellite TV.
11. Press select on your Sky remote control. The red light blinks twice. The remote control setup process is complete.
If after trying this, you still have problems, call your broadcaster's help desk. For your broadcaster's help desk number, select the Telephone Numbers option from the Services screen.

Identifying remote TV Remote Control Codes (Blink Back)
If there is not a 3 digit code listed for your customers TV receiver then use the four digit method to find a code that works. The following steps will allow this code to be identified.
1. Press the TV button on the Sky remote
2. Hold down Select and the Red buttons together for approximately two seconds, until the Red LED on the Sky remote blinks twice.
3. Key in 990 on the remote.
4. Key in 1 on the numeric keypad and count the number of times the Red LED blinks. The number of blinks will indicate the first digit of the code
5. Input 2 on the numeric keypad and count the blinks to identify the second digit of the code.
6. Input 3 on the numeric keypad and count the blinks to identify the third digit of the code.
7. Write it down and keep it safely.
8. Use the 3 digit method above to set up the remote.

Community Veteran

Sky actually has the instructions for programming the remote on their interactive customer service thingy. The problem is the Samsung LE32R74BDX (our new telly) isn't listed and the code for it (0646 - as provided by Lakes where we bought the telly) doesn't work. I don't know how new Liam's remote is, but ours is fairly old so apparently isn't compatible with the samsung...
Big_Jay
Dabbler

Anyone have a good list of arguments to talk an argumentative wife into buying a 42" plasma? Just can't seem to bring her round to my way of thinking and the divorce would be more expensive than the TV.
Community Veteran

Well the saga continues, our sky box seems to have decided to pack up as well...
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 71

So Sky+ sooner, rather than later?
David
Community Veteran

hopefully...
Big_Jay
Dabbler

Sky+ always seemed pointless to me... Always have gigs on  the PC i haven't watched so would fill the sky box in a fortnight!
As for actually or 'alledgedly' (one of my fave legal loophole words) that won't work as still under warranty but thx for the suggestions.
Liam
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
So Sky+ sooner, rather than later?

Naa.... Sky HD :-)
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_H
Be prepared to walk away, and find another branch though if it doesn't work. (I'd hazard a guess that the policy will apply to all DSG Group stores -Curry's, Comet etc but couldn't be sure.)

N.B. Comet isn't a member of DSG. (And, for what it's worth, I much prefer Comet to DSG-owned chains, although it is a case of the lesser of two evils.)