cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Televisions

Community Veteran

Televisions

Evening all!
Our 27" CRT Sony TV has decided to go kaput (turns itself off and standby light starts blinking - it repeatedly blinks twice if that means anything to anyone).
So it looks like we are going to be replacing it with a new telly. I've been looking around and New TV Linky looks like a good deal.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on a new telly / what might be up with the sony and if it's worth getting it repaired?
38 REPLIES
Teatime
Grafter

Re: Televisions

Have you had a look on the AV forum? I spent ages on there before deciding which telly to buy. Ended up spending more than I intended on a Tosh Regza but it's absolutely superb. Also worth checking on HotUKDeals
biondani
Dabbler

The 2 blinks is a power supply short. See What it means when the standby timer flashes for details.
Ian
Teatime
Grafter

Do they tell you these details in the user manual...? And if not, why not?!
biondani
Dabbler

Quote from: Teatime

I wish. My TV is one of these http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDTV/N4060w.html and I would highly recommend.
Ian
Community Veteran

Quote from: Teatime

Because that would be the sensible thing to do :p
Thanks for that link Ian, looks like it's:
Two blinks - B+ over current protection (OCP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of any of the circuits.
Not that that means anything to me, but at least I can pretend to know what I'm talking about now :p
HSNetwork
Grafter

Dan & Ian,
Ive had to edit your posts as the links clearly stretched the page. Its all good now though Smiley
HSNetwork
Grafter

Actually just looking at your link Dan,
I got me a 32" widescreen LCD television for £399 from argos. Admitedly its a Bush, but the quality looks great, its got 3 years warranty and the best bit is I can attach the lappy to it and watch films that way.
Id look about a little you could get yourself a better bargain elsewhere if you look closely enough.
Liam
Grafter

Quote from: Assos
So it looks like we are going to be replacing it with a new telly. I've been looking around and New TV Linky looks like a good deal.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on a new telly / what might be up with the sony and if it's worth getting it repaired?

Dan,
I have that exact same TV (actually I think it might be the 28" variant anyway) but it's absolutely fantastic.  I love them.  Not only do they look great, but the quality is amongst the best I have seen for an LCD screen.
You may have noticed that we have them (the 32" ones) all over the place here.  For monitoring / TV etc... They really are very good, and the quality when plugging in my Mac by DVI is superb.
Oh, and the HD gaming on XBOX 360 isn't bad either ;-)
Very much Recommended :-)
James
Grafter

It is the 28" variant.
I have to strain my eyes Smiley
Liam
Grafter

Lol... it would do nicely in my bedroom... but would need a long cable for the Sky...
Community Veteran

Tom,
I'm still looking around and am aware you can get better deals size / price wise - but liked the samsung because it was a good price, has an excellent reputation (as Liam's post shows) and after seeing them at PN towers.
I'm hoping to get into town and have a look around today so I might see something else there...
HSNetwork
Grafter

Well I was having a good look around.
I have to say one of the think abouts on my list was indeed a Samsung aswell as the Hitachi 37" widescreen for £799, a LG 32" @ £568. In the end I opted for the one I have now because it served my purpose and was a fantastic price (I think abything less than 32" is a waste and you may aswell stick with crt lol).
Liam
Grafter

We have a ceiling mounted Samsung above the Comms pod with monitoring on it...
http://www.lmartin.plus.com/plusnet/telly.jpg
Sexy telly!
Community Veteran

Well, I've been into town to have a look round on the high street to see what there is, but while I was out Mother and Stephen have decided to bugger off to John Lewis in Wycombe without me, so I guess it'll be whatever they choose in JL, but the Samsung is on the list apparently...