Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Television to become even dafter

Product placement for TV approved
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8252901.stm

11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Television to become even dafter

You have to trust the consumer. If it's overdone or tasteless, viewers will switch off.
Peter Bazalgette, Big Brother creator

Coming from the creator of one of television's tackiest 'programs' that's rich Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Two things for consideration
1. Product placement is already done in films, is it noticeable?
2. Companies have a finite money to spend on advertising, so will they move from direct advertising to product placement?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Have you watched the later James Bond films?
It's like playing spot the advert.

Community Veteran

I was relieved to see that the BBC are still going to be prevented from indulging in product placement, so that's something - I rarely actually watch anything on any other channels these days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah, I'd be surprised if ITV could get any worse than it is now.
But I'm sure they'll manage.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I suppose it will allow them to show even more sub-standard USA imports.

Community Veteran

Product placement has ben done in the US for years and quite often you don't even notice it - guess it's meant to be like that, subliminal  Wink
Movies have used product placement for even longer - the Bond movies are a good example.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Some films manage product placement well (when it is done subtlety done, almost subliminal) , but I have seen many big Hollywood movies which make the product placement very obvious to the point it is laughable and ruins the enjoyment of the film.
By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show. Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin' up.' There's no xxxxxxx' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil fxxxxxx' presence.
Bill Hicks
sweet00
Dabbler

its a good thing in my opinion because i thought it was stupid that they had to cover up brand names and such like.  i also think they did the cover up of brand names so that brands will pay more to be on tv shows when the ban is lifted. just hope they spend it well.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought you were talking about Top Gears latest hash of a stunt  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8283798.stm

sweet00
Dabbler

top gear can be quite stupid but very entertaining, theres always a what the *&%$ moment every show