cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Television problem, any ideas?

smiffyb36
Grafter

Television problem, any ideas?

My TV has been playing up of late. When I turn it on for the first time the screen flashes on for a second then switches off, if i keep switching it on and off the screen stays lit for longer and longer until it finally stays on and I can watch it.
When the room is hot it seems to work faster, when the room is cold i can sit there for 10+ minutes switching on and off to get it to work. Any ideas?Huh
Im hoping there is something i can do, a new TV right now is out of the picture and once the TV is on works perfectly.
10 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Television problem, any ideas?

Is your TV a TFT, CRT or Plasma?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Sounds like a dry joint or a heat related capacitor problem. Only real way of fixing it would be give it to a TV repairman to look at.
I don't like working with TV's too much HV floating round in there  Cry
smiffyb36
Grafter

Thanks for the replies
Midnight - It's a plasma
Biker - Thinking repair man is the way to go, I wouldn't know where to even start myself  Undecided
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If it is under 5 years old you will be covered by the Sale of Goods Act
smiffyb36
Grafter

Fell off a lorry a few years ago so no go on the sale of goods, repair man it is  Wink
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Midnight

Only if it's an inherrent fault. Fair wear and tear is not covered.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Mav's right.  For the first 6 months there is a "reversed burden of proof", which means that it's for the shop to show that the product wasn't faulty at the time it was sold.  After that, it's for the customer to show that it was probably faulty when they bought it.  Obviously the longer you've had the product, the harder it is to be able to prove that, but technically your rights last for 6 years from the date of purchase.
The important thing is that they were faulty when purchased (even if the fault wouldn't show up for some time).  So a faulty joint may be caught, but a component going wrong may not be.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

If you don't mind having a CRT television, it might be much cheaper to buy a good condition second hand TV from eBay, and either scrap the plasma - or sell it for spares on eBay !
There are many perfectly functioning CRT TVs which can be picked-up locally for next to nothing.
In the last few years I have bought four, the cheapest being £0.01 for a 21" NICAM, and a 26" trinitron for £0.99, in both cases the sellers were somewhat disappointed, but I have had some great bargains.  Cheesy
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Midnight

Only if it's an inherrent fault. Fair wear and tear is not covered.

Isn't it fair to expect any TV to last 5 years?  Undecided
Community Veteran

Absolutely.  I would expect any household item to last 5 years (barring accident), but electrical components do wear out over a period of time, and need to be replaced (some earlier than others), and their length isn't set. Life expectancy will follow a normal distribution, which means that a particular part may wear out much earlier than a similar component.  I would certainly try the argument that you'd expect it to last longer (on average), and therefore the retailer(that's who your consumer rights relate to) should contribute something towards the repair.
What you're not entitled to is "betterment" such as a brand new telly, just because your 5 year old one has broken down  Undecided  You've had 5 years use out of it (that counts for something) so any contribution is likely to be small after that amount of time.
John