Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone scams diminishing?

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Telephone scams diminishing?

Although I haven't had one for months, probably because I stopped answering unknown numbers a long time ago, I still have an occaisional look on 'WhoCalledme.co.uk' and have noticed a marked reduction in the number of reported calls.

Does this mean services like 1572 are working as intended, or have people finally woken up to the fact that 99.9% of unsolicited calls are bogus?

Wonder what all those Indian/Pakistani 'Johns' and 'Julies' are going to do now?Smiley

John
19 REPLIES
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Telephone scams diminishing?

My phone system blocks all unknown numbers, so the phone doesn't even ring, but it logs the numbers and shows on screen how many there have been, so I can review them later. They do seem to be in decline recently, but that has happened before whilst the callers find a new dodge to get through. 

My last call was from a genuine number in Brum, which they had spoofed. I rang the number back and the owner of the genuine number said he had been flooded with people ringing him back trying to find out why he had rung them. He sounded really fed up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I had a call to my mobile a few days ago.

I usually ignore numbers who I don't recognise, but at the moment I can't.

So answered call, women didn't say from whom she was calling from. Confirmed my mobile number, which was correct.

Then asked for my full name.

I replied "I don't know where you are calling from, so I am not prepared to give any of my personal details to you over the phone".

Woman "Oh ok".

End of call.

jab1
Seasoned Pro

@harrym1byt I just DON'T get the calls. I could set the phone to block the [-Censored-], but as I said, I just don't get any.

@Alex Funnily enough, I've had the same mobile number for as long as I've had mobiles ~25 years? - and I can count on the fingers of one hand with some to the spam calls I've had on it,Cheesy

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

John
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't answer many calls I don't recognise but often get 2-3 a day.

Of the calls I do answer these days, 99% are about boiler replacement. All the numbers I have answered are from either International or out of area with occasionally the odd withheld - I have to answer those as the OH is having hospital treatment and they are always with held.

I don't understand if the Government boiler replacement scheme is genuine (I have no idea if they are) why they are from an international number.

jab1
Seasoned Pro

As I understand it @Mayfly, that 'scheme' is totally bogus, and wouldn't be run from overseas even if it was genuine - well, you wouldn't 'see' an overseas number, it would be routed through a UK one.

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dont know if its a coincidence but i am TPS for landline and Mobile and have never had any of these calls Thumbs Up

where my neighbour on Virgin with no TPS gets one or two a week ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Probably coincidence, @rongtw . I've been on TPS since I moved in here 20+ years ago, and it's only since I implemented the 'don't answer if I don't know the caller' strategy that the calls have tapered off.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Well you're very lucky @rongtw, I get a lot of unwanted calls despite my number being on the TPS, that's why I got a call screener. I still get the calls but the system tells me that 100% of the unwanted callers give up, so I'm happy with that.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

TPS only applies to UK registered companies, it does nothing to protect you from overseas companies or scammers, and not to mention UK companies who have a total disregard for the law. 

You  see stories about UK companies flouting direct marketing regs all the time, i seem to recall the Tories getting slapped wrists over a third party company they used during either the referendum or last election that just ignored regs and bombarded everyone/anyone with calls...

Though presumably the various telcos call protect systems must now be having an impact on these type of calls...

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I'm on TPS and still get the odd UK cold call tho' these days as they can make a calls appear to be local it's difficult to tell where they originate. 

Fixes: 51

I've just deleted the last 3 junk calls I received which were between the 15th and 19th of December 2017.

Non this year so far. Thank you TrueCall Cool

I've been on TPS for years with landline, mobile and email....for what use it is.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Totally agree TPS is a toothless tiger. Looks good until it tries something.
As to calls dropping nope, still see a load blocked by my call blocker. Along with the BT/OR scam "I am calling from BT/Openreach about your internet" types
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes we get the old scam "This is BT, there is a problem with your broadband" type calls. I like to wind them up. Only had the chance to do it once.

In my experience some companies wish to withhold CLID, and it can be faked anyway even if they don't. So no doubt I will get more, and will have to tell them politely (in forum friendly language mods Smiley) to "go away".

Community Veteran

The stats on BT's 1572 service for my line tells me they intercept about 7 calls a month. Considering it is a "free" service it is quite useful.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.