Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teeth whitening? Err, no thanks.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Teeth whitening? Err, no thanks.

More folks are having their teeth whitened legally and otherwise according to BBC news, and complaints for bodge jobs up by 26%.

Not for me sorry and certainly not at those prices. It just look weird and I'd be hard put anyway to smile after paying out in some cases as much as £1000 - although no doubt those providing the service will be grinning from ear to ear all the way to the bank..😀

Err, no thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Teeth whitening? Err, no thanks.

Not for me either.

Amazing the sums of money plus the risk to health that people take just to look good.

No idea how teeth whitening is done but assume some sort of substance is used to burn off any discolouration and then the teeth sealed in something to keep that white look.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Could be hydrogen peroxide ( like a peroxide blonde ) and then a clear

coat like you spray on your alloy wheels ....

Hydrogen peroxide is very oxidising - like bleach

TTman
All Star

Teeth whitening....simples..I just take mine out..dry them.. paint them with Dulux brilliant white gloss ..leave to dry...then put them back in...RESULT!!!!EvilFunnyThumbs_Up

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

I think people are actually getting more vain, especially under 30's.  Don't know it it is facebook** to blame or what,  but my 25 year old niece will not leave the house without full makeup,  whe uses fake tan like it is going out of fashion and you could easily confuse her with someone from Asia,  she has had a nose job, teeth straightened and whitened, hair extensions, lips puffed up. Her husband has a beard that gets trimmed and conditioned with 'beard oil' (  whatever that is ) and many tattoos that probably cost more than his car...

** I think that people are scared of getting photographed looking not quite their best by the ever-present smart phone and what they consider unflattering photographs being posted on facebook,  it has made them paranoid about their appearance - no wonder mental illness ( stress more like ) is on the increase.....

Community Veteran

Thank god I am old.

Mook
Rising Star

I don't know how credible this is but I was once told that back in the eary 1900s it was an expectation to get false teeth as a present for your 21st birthday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I must admit as someone with crooked teeth I'd be interested in having them straightened just because it does affect my confidence (a word in its own right that i hate using in association with myself) but whitening at my age would look daft and i'll openly admit i'm completely against that.

For younger generations who are under more and more pressure from the rat race i can understand that looks mean a lot and with the tech available these days that lets them appear like they're keeping up i can see why many would opt for it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote

... she has had ... lips puffed up.,,,

Ah yes the 'Duck' look.  Some even look as if they've had a rubber dinghy transplanted onto their face.

IMO they look absolutely ridiculouis, if only they realised ... Roll_eyes

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mook wrote:

I don't know how credible this is but I was once told that back in the eary 1900s it was an expectation to get false teeth as a present for your 21st birthday.

Post war, my childhood, there weren't many people over 40 with their own teeth....

Community Veteran

I blame the acting profession. White teeth isn't exactly normal but TV and movies actors have normalised the expectation of glow in the dark teeth. Off white just isn't good enough anymore.

Don't many of the luvvies have slips / veneers fitted to their teeth? Where a thin layer is ground away on the front of the teeth and then a slip / veneer of a white something or other is glued in place.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

My dentist, whose practice is in a fairly affluent part of town, told me he has patients in their 90s who still have all their own teeth.

Regarding whitening, I once asked my previous dentist if I could have a white filling (as opposed to amalgam), and his reply was, "Why do you want a white filling, teeth are not white?"  We settled for the term tooth-coloured filling.

If you want to see whitened teeth, lip filler, and full makeup all day, just watch an episode of The Only Way Is Essex.

Community Veteran

@Mook wrote:

Not sure if it's true but they say some girls from that period had all their teeth removed to make them a better marriage prospect, due to the cost of maintaining a good set of teeth.

There was also a market for teeth in good condition in those days.

Clearly we are only talking about the poor.

I have not looked up any references for the above I just seem to recall reading it somewhere years ago.

Mook
Rising Star

That's very similar to what I'd been told @gleneagles, not so much the marriage reference but fact that they are easier to maintain and pain free.

But remember, back in the 1900s to 1950s it would have cost money for a dentist not onlt to make a set but to also extract the existing teeth, so I doubt this option was strictly for the poor. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Reminds me of this. 😁

Teeth

English Teeth, English Teeth!
Shining in the sun
A part of British heritage
Aye, each and every one.
English Teeth, Happy Teeth!
Always having fun
Clamping down on bits of fish
And sausages half done.
English Teeth! HEROES' Teeth!
Hear them click! and clack!
Let's sing a song of praise to them -
Three Cheers for the Brown Grey and Black.

Spike Milligan