cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teenagers and Phones

Fixes: 47

Teenagers and Phones

I happened to read the last line of this post and it reminded me of when my kids were teenagers at home.
My daughter would call a friend and have a 40 minute conversation.
She would then put on her coat and go round to that same friend's house for a gossip.
What the devil is all that about Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Teenagers and Phones

When I was with my ex-wife her eldest daughter would phone her friends as soon as she got home from school even though she had just spent the previous 7 hours with them. Then she would go out to meet them or they'd come round. Later on the phone would be red hot as they discussed what to wear for the next day.
The youngest wasn't as bad but the bill was always high.
Eventually I had call barring added with a PIN only me and their mother knew much to their constenation Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Had the same problem and thought I had solved it by using a phone lock.
The phone was the old type where you actually dialled the numbers and the lock went into the first hole on the dial.
Many years later the kids told me that when I was out it was very easy to remove and replace the lock !!
Still they could have been doing worse things.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've gave my son a PAYG mobile phone to keep his costs under control, and we installed a hardwired extension phone in his bedroom. He'd discovered girls and very quickly discovered his credit didn't run out if he used the house phone to call a mobile phone. The first quarterly bill following that stage reached £740. I found that charging into his bedroom with the bill, ripping the extension phone out of the wall and throwing it out of his bedroom window had the desired effect. It also surprised my neighbour who was standing outside his back door smoking a sneaked cigarette as the phone crashed down beside his feet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 123

My daughter was always running out of credit on her mobile and 99% went on texts which meant she rarely had credit to make calls in an emergency.
Last september I took the leap of faith of using her pocket money to pay for a contract and decent phone for her. With unlimited texts/data (unlimited data only refers to browsing and emails) and 600 minutes of talk time she hasn't caused me any concerns. We did discover that if she sent long texts that are the equivalent of more than 5 then they are converted to MMS and charged. It took a while to discover this as she assured me she never sent MMS messages.
I check her usage online every week or so just to be sure there will be no unexpected issues. I've never understood parents who have given their children contract phones then declare a few months later that they had no idea of the huge bills being run up Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Neighbour of our has a couple of (teenage) youngsters, both have state of the art mobile phones. 
Which strikes me as a bit daft as home, school and local villages are not even covered by 2G.
pin2011
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
I Had the same problem and thought I had solved it by using a phone lock.
The phone was the old type where you actually dialled the numbers and the lock went into the first hole on the dial.
Many years later the kids told me that when I was out it was very easy to remove and replace the lock !!
Still they could have been doing worse things.
That brings back memories!! We had the very same problem and the way the kids got around it was to dial out just using the handset rest to 'click' the number. at  least thats what they said when the bill came in and we threatened to take the phone out so that no one had the use of a home phone. Needless to say it didn't happen but the very large bills suddenly reduced to more acceptbale limits.
randpwar
Grafter

Strange isn’t it that when kids reach the age of 12 (as my son has done) that they lose the ability to talk to their mates face–to-face and have to text each other almost constantly or natter over the Xbox.
Much like Mav’s daughter he was always running out of credit so we’ve taken a contract with Tesco’s  for him; £7.50 a month for a nice phone (Blackberry looking Samsung), 250 minutes call time,  5000 (ie ‘unlimited’) texts  and 500mb data. The result is that he can text as much as he likes, he hasn’t got anywhere near his call time (as yet but this is only the 2nd month), he can contact us wherever he is and, without actually sitting down and going through the records, I’d reckon we’re probably paying out less.

I thought this was such a good deal that I’ve also taken it. I’ve never had a contract before as SWMBO is the family Social Secretary and I have to say I’ve found it very useful. The wife is also now on Tesco’s and gets 750 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb and a Blackberry for £15 per month. We went to Vodaphone, her previous supplier, but they wanted £38 for the same deal  Shocked