cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technology Trap.

Fixes: 47

Technology Trap.

I'm envious of my next door neighbours. Not because of the 2 cars, the foreign holidays or the house full of the latest hi-tech gadgetry.
No, it's because they don't have those things.
Thinking more about the hi-tech gadgetry.
I have just spent £70 upgrading a couple of Power-line adaptors just to gain an extra 10Mbs on my network.
I couldn't imagine life without my tech which my neighbours are blissfully happy without  and it's costing me money.
Are you in the technology trap?
PS I only have one car and I don't take holidays.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Technology Trap.

No im not in the technology trap
I just am not an early adopter that's where you pay the premium Wink
I just bought my wife an IPhone 4  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

I've never bought into technology because of peer or neighbour envy and, like PeterLoftus, have never been an early adopter. Apart from the premiums you pay in price it's good to wait for customer feedback and many of the initial issues to be resolved.
Not sure I can really say I can't live without the tech I have but I would miss some of it. But being over 50 I have lived a good part of my life without and coped pretty well Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I used to be an early adopter but no longer!
Now my PC is a 6 year old Dell that was recycled from my son's work. If I have to have some new kit then I look for 'yesterday's' stuff 'cos it's cheaper and de-bugged.
My screens are recycled also, the main one form my son and the secondary from when I was an early adopter.
SWMBO has an ageing iPhone 3GS and I have a 3 year old iPhone 4!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I prefer new technology to settle down before I take the plunge Wink
Community Veteran

I'm sitting here on my base spec Toshiba laptop that I bought (refurbished) off Argos Ebay for £170. My old Dell (>5 years) had got to the point where I couldn't see anything on the screen because of the corruption.
I'd splashed out £350 on a top spec refurb Dell which lasted <30 minutes before the motherboard failed. They replaced this and then I had issues with the wireless. I got them to pick it up and bought the Toshiba as a stop gap - I quite like it actually lol.
I'm considering a 3D TV so I can play two player games with the stepson on the dual play feature - mind you I've been considering buying one for a couple of years now.
I'm also planning on a rather nice hifi setup - 5.1 surround etc etc but have decided to build a system from scratch  - i.e. component level so I know how to use it  Grin I'm an electronics engineer by trade and have been in the IT industry for >20 years so not a technophobe but really don't need to have the latest in current technology.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I used to buy on the edge. I remember buying a 486/50MHz processor (just the chip) for £450. At that point I said stop it  Shocked
But with unemployment and lack of funds (and marriage!) I haven't done so for over 20 years.
My main pc is a freecycled job, been in use for >4 years now with no sign of any problems, other than a new hdd, and a new video card -not necessary but nice for <£30.
My 2 screens are from freecycle got a couple of weeks ago, better than my 8 year old one I was using.  Shocked
I don't buy toys any more  Cry food comes first, but managed to get a tablet (android 7" Chinese one) for my birthday.
I have a nice TV (recent purchase as old one was bleeding video from the scart to hdmi), a surround sound system (over 8 years old as well) so can listen to movies with bits flying about me  Wink

I sort of look forward to a piece of tech failing 3+ years so I can replace it with a new featured item.
I had an old 32" CRT TV for over 6 years and said I wouldn't replace it until it failed....but it wouldn't Angry
Fortunately my daughter's TV died and she took mine so I replaced it with a 40" flat panel TV. Smiley
I have a Samsung Blu-ray player which includes a 5.1 sound system. The Blu-ray drive needs it's firmware updating but is no longer supported  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You can sometimes get more pleasure and learn something if you build your own stuff, providing of course you have the time.
As a young lad I got more pleasure from a bike I built from bits than from a brand new bike I bought years later.
As for computers it's tempting to go for the latest stuff but as one computer magazine commented," Pay £2,000 for the latest computer and 2 years later you would be hard pushed to get £500 for it, don't spend money on facilities you do not need."
Having said that I am tempted to upgrade my 5 year old monitor as the colour of photographs shown on the screen is not the same as what appears in Print.... a topic which was recently discussed in detail on the Hardware forum a short time ago.

I've built lots of electronic stuff in the past including a Hi-Fi amplifier, a simple oscilloscope and a few computers, the end result was always satisfying.
Now we have Amazon 'one click' Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I used to tinker, then work in electronics, but these days it costs more to buy a case than it does to buy a built item, just not worth the hassle.
E.g. a 12V pwm dimmer, £2.90 form ebay, in a box with removable connector, the case alone would cost me that. (I use it as a variable speed controller for my 12V pump)

That's the problem. I used to be down at Bardwells, our local electronic components retailer, every week with a project to buy for.
It used to be transistor, capacitors and resistors etc.
Then the IC came along making things more compact.
Now it's so much cheaper to buy ready made.
Devonian
Grafter

I like picking up the new bits of tech.
I miss Torquay's Comet dearly, they were great to barter with, you could easily get 30 or 40% with the right salesman.
I brought a new enabled tv the other week, it has changed tv viewing in my house forever.
It has all the catchup services, plus Freesat HD+ built in, plus the new Freesat freetime, hooked up to a 7.1 sound system, it is mind blowing.
It is 3D enabled, but to be honest, 3D just gives me a headache.
Razer
Grafter

It depends what you mean by 'technology trap'. If it means I have technology without which I can't function, then yes, I am. My computer is the centre of my life. My external hard drive plugged into my TV is the centre of my relaxation. My microwave is the centre of my nourishment. I await the gadget that will become the centre of my sleep/wake cycle, especially when what I have natively doesn't work.