cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tea

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tea

Some months ago we both noticed that our tea had what I can only describe as a 'metallic' taste.
We assumed it might be that particular batch of tea bags but despite a change the metallic taste was still there, so we made various changes such as different brand of milk, even bottled water so we decided to get a new electric kettle.
That changed nothing so we then went for a kettle that could be used on a gas hob and that was the solution to the problem.
Several times we have been in a cafe and noticed the same metallic taste with the tea.
I can think of no logical explination as to why tea from an electric kettle should taste different from a kettle used on a gas hob.
Perhaps we are both going a bit dotty in our old age ?
NB:  No responses required on the last sentence, thanks.
Smiley Smiley
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Tea

Does your electric kettle have an exposed element
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

Well spotted, wish I had found that link before checking out the other possible causes, the annoying bit is that we bought a new kettle and as it had the same problem was only used a couple of times, unfortunately I did not keep the receipt so am unable to return it.
Clearly others have had the same problem from their posts on the same site.
Odd that tests have been unable to identify what the cause is.
At least the good news is that we might not be that dotty after all..
Wink
Community Veteran

Would I be right in thinking that those with the problem are not in a hard water area.
Any funny tastes I've ever noticed soon disappear under a seal of fine limescale.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

We just have a cheap metal kettle from tesco, the only plastic inside it in contact with water is what separates the heating plate in the base from the outer shell, and it's never had any issues with smells or unpleasantness, needs a bit of a cleanout now as it's going a funny colour in the base, but nowt a bit of vinegar can't fix... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We had a minor issue just before Christmas, all the family coming to stay and the gas hob failed (two gas taps seized up - end of design life)
Anyway I bought a replacement from eBay and fitted it myself. Flushed with success I bought a "designer" whistling kettle to set it off. 
Vey pleased the tea definitely tastes better and the whistle is very homely and saving pots of money.  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

My Granddaughter has a toy whistling kettle, the whistle is electronic.
It's so realistic, it brings back happy memories of my childhood Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Would I be right in thinking that those with the problem are not in a hard water area.
Any funny tastes I've ever noticed soon disappear under a seal of fine limescale.

We are in a soft water area so you may well be correct.