Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tea bags, or loose tea.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Tea bags, or loose tea.

We gave up on tea bags some time ago when we realised they were not biodegradable, so we switched to loose tea. 

Not as fussy as you might think as we had (until I dropped it on the floor yesterday) one of those teapots with a small stainless steel basket inside so dead easy to tap out the used tea into the waste food bin. Not cheap mind, I think we paid around thirty quid which was a heck of a lot just for a tea pot and not an amount I'm ready to spend again any time soon.

So, back to teabags?

Although I have yet to check them out it seems there are now far more biodegradable ones on the market, but are we going to go back to tea with seemingly less flavour because of it, or is it all a question of taste. Roll_eyes

PS. Mrs tells me that 'infuser' teapot was more like twenty five quid, but still a lot of dosh. IKEA here we come?

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Tea bags, or loose tea.

Teabags for me, but I've not had much in the way of tea lately, been having more coffee than tea, but overall I prefer teabags, less chance of me making a mess by missing the bin with loose stuff... Grin

And speaking of bags, I was rather amused to see an ad on TV for coffee bags as if they were a new thing, they've been around for decades, yet people didn't seem to know about them, silly people, they need to get out more... Funny

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Never heard of coffee bags, and don't get me started on those coffee pods things!

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke wrote:

And speaking of bags, I was rather amused to see an ad on TV for coffee bags as if they were a new thing, they've been around for decades, yet people didn't seem to know about them, silly people, they need to get out more... Funny

We have used coffee bags for years,  mainly when going on holidays though as that coffee in hotels seems to be made from something that has never been near a coffee bean,  how do they get it to taste so awful ?  Those plastic thingies that you balance on top of cup and strain the hot water through are still available,  but too much waste plastic in them.

These days I drink decaff tea ( Yorkshire or Tetleys ) made with teabags as everyone else drinks coffee.  Most people use boiling water to make coffee which is a big no-no,  should be around 90deg C,  for tea boiling water and let it mash for at least 2 or 3 minutes - the finer tea leaves in bags do infuse quicker than leaf tea though

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman  Never heard of coffee bags! Lord have mercy. Where have you been? Funny

I don't use them or pods either. Smiley I don't do weak or decaf coffee either liking a strong coffee. On Sundays, I tend to roll out the cafeteria and have a nice strong Italian coffee brew. Admittedly compared to the Vietnamese coffee it isn't quite as strong as that is but enough to get the day rolling along.

But the wife is mainly a tea drinker e.g. green tea, ginger, nettle etc. She tends to use tea bags but sometimes she'll buy loose tea. Bought one of these last year. Just the job. Reasonable price too.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 871

Coffee bag? What’s this glorious invention? Cheesy I see the benefit of this while camping as you won’t need to faff around with scooping granules out. 

I like the idea of loose tea but I generally stick with tea bags as it’s easier and more convenient. Clipper do biodegradable ones for the environmentally conscious. Occasionally if I’ve got time and/or feeling fancy I’ll get the loose tea out. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

for a good strong brew.....Tetley T bags.. one in the pot big enough for two strong mugs of tea. Low cost tea bags, and one cup bags are pretty naff for taste and strength...

however... we frequent several local tea rooms, and by far the best pot of tea is made with loose tea leaves, served in a proper china pot ( the tea pot does have the liner for containing the tea ).. at our favourite watering hole, on Hayling Island... they also make the best cheese scones for miles around...

Known as SUKI tea... you can buy the tea pots on ebay, and they are about £30 I think. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Same here, nice strong cuppa first thing, can't abide weak tea.

Filter coffee usually mid morning. Thumbs_Up 

Highlighted
Pro

Tetley tea bags here too.

Couple of cups "first thing"

(Which tends to be most people's "second thing" most of the time because we keep weird hours) 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I don't like too strong tea or coffee, nor ditch water of either. The coffee bags are interesting, but I've an idea the result would be on the strongside for my preference for black coffee. That came about from sudden calls for my attention after which milked coffee was cold and yuk. So bags for tea and granules for coffee.

BTW we have a useful washing line!Crazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Minesapint 

Ah, but are they enviromentally friendly? Smiley

I never realised ours were not when I found them still intact in the compost bin two years down the line. Had to pick 'em all out before I could used it on the garden.

Really annoying not to say time consuming. Knuppel

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, you can always tear open tea (or coffee) bags to put the contents onto the compost heap, bit of a faff, but there you go... Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

If I'd known I would have done. Wink

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman 

Not that environmentally friendly no, but apparently only 1% plastic.

https://www.tetley.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions

If that was the worst environmental footprint I left, I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm more worried about plastic bottles and the seemingly endless packaging that stuff comes in TBH.

I know it all matters mind you.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Olé it's on it's way.

£4.99. Free postage, from you know where... and we'll have it by t'morrow. Tongue

71it0pAJQ4L._SX425_.jpg