cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxi!!

Community Veteran

Taxi!!

The High Court has decided that Uber, the ride-hailing app does not break the law.
The London black cab trade is not happy with this decision and plans to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Uber
The judge decided that the smartphone app was not a meter which are outlawed on private hire vehicles.
I've never used Uber. Does anyone have experience of them?
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Taxi!!

used it in Florida, much cheaper than mears and had great service.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Florida is having the same arguments as London.. It was discussed in Tallahassee last week again.
Uber is having a hard fight around the world to be accepted.
Fixes: 105

I don't know why, seems the incumbents are scared to me.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

because they used their app to spy on people locations even when they weren't actively using the service, just having it installed was all it took, never mind the dodgy practices they were using to get drivers and a bunch of other unsavoury practices, had they not tried to create a global corporate espionage agency thinly disguised as something useful and just stuck to being a taxi service they might not be in so much hot water and suffering such high legal bills /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

and there was me thinking it was just something simple like taxi drivers loosing money nanotm... how silly of me  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

for me there are two issues here:
one, uber has no regulatory body to ensure that drivers and their cars are safe.  although "apparently" much cheaper, only people who use other forms of private hire would know if that were true.
two, taxi drivers would like it if they were the sole providers of private car hire.  there were ructions some years ago because of car hire firms setting up and the hackney cab drivers getting up in arms about them.  taxis are way to expensive for the vast majority of people to use, even if shared with several other people, so other types of hire vehicle is necessary.
as far as i am aware, there is insufficient provision of both hackney cabs and mini-cabs in the mix and uber adds a dimension that increases the number of rides available.
i have no idea how the government will deal with uber, but i would not drive for them given the huge percentage they take for merely being the go-between.
whatever transpires, uber are laughing all the way to the bank at present.