cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxi firms, particularly Uber, to still insist on riders wearing masks from next week!

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Taxi firms, particularly Uber, to still insist on riders wearing masks from next week!

Above.

I had an email to that effect from Uber this morning stating that despite the fact from next Monday masks in general are no longer compulsory, riders and drivers are still required to wear them during journeys due to the majority of their riders and drivers saying they feel safer with masks on.

Thoughts? I think it should be optional, they're changing the law from Monday anyway but never mind.

Do you see? Cheesy
26 REPLIES 26
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

Re: Taxi firms, particularly Uber, to still insist on riders wearing masks from next week!

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

Thoughts? I think it should be optional, they're changing the law from Monday anyway but never mind.

It is optional.  But if you choose the option of not wearing a mask, you can't use Uber.  Simples.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Re: Taxi firms, particularly Uber, to still insist on riders wearing masks from next week!

When it rains, it`s "optional" to wear waterproof clothing, use an umberella, or not go out...  

Common sense tells you what to do....     same applies with contracting the virus, or spreading it to others.

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

@shutter Umbrella, not Umberella. And I've had both my Vaccine jabs, I'm at low risk of contracting the virus.

Do you see? Cheesy
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

...I'm at low risk of contracting the virus.

Like other transport utilities, Uber will be cognisant of the fact, which you are apparently still refusing to acknowledge, that the main protection offered by a mask is to other people, not the wearer.

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 201

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

It is optional. Uber say that they won't take you unless you wear a mask. It is optional whether you use their service. People are allowed to make rules regarding what they are prepared to tolerate without needing a law to tell them that they must do it.

Laws tells you what you can't do, not what you can do!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

@shutter Umbrella, not Umberella. And I've had both my Vaccine jabs, I'm at low risk of contracting the virus.

If you insist, on being "pedantic".... you may well consider yourself at "low risk" of contracting the virus...

but that does not give you the right to be inconsiderate of others, and  go about spreading it amongst them, should you become contaminated with it.

You are not immune from it, you can still be infected, by others (like you)  who also do not wear masks,  and suffer symptoms, and you can still carry it and spread it.

Whilst you are sitting next to someone, not wearing a mask, who is coughing and spluttering near you, or even just in conversation with you...... consider whether THEY should be wearing a mask to protect you ? ? ? ? 

if you think they should,.... then why should you not do the same,... for those around you, ....who are breathing the air that you exhale.

As the Tesco logo says...... Every little helps..... ( and that can work both ways with the virus)

your little bit of not wearing a mask, can help to spread the disease to others.....

on the other hand....

those who wear a mask in company of others,( enclosed spaces, such as taxi, bus, train, shops, )  are doing their little bit to help slow the spread of the disease..

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

It’s possible to judge what a person is like by the decisions they make.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Personally I think I'll take the prudent line and continue with the mask in shops etc, at least for a couple of weeks. By then it should be clear whether the fan has stayed clean or not.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

It'll be interesting to hear whether the carers of (certain) disabled people will continue to wear masks when out and about in public, especially when in shops etc., and whether said disabled persons will be required to wear a mask to protect the carers.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

"I've had both my Vaccine jabs, I'm at low risk of contracting the virus"

😂

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Domiciliary care workers probably I would hope, but 'out and about' maybe not.

Mind you, any care worker worth their salt should wear one all the time in either situation and without being asked or instructed to by their employer.

No mask? Bare-faced cheek I call it! 😄

Thomas A. Edison
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Actually the guy who does most of my care, a lad called Kieran, is exempt from the mask law because he's got Asthma, and wearing a mask would lead to breathing problems.

*edited for a spelling mistake*

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

*shakes head*

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

"I've had both my Vaccine jabs, I'm at low risk of contracting the virus"

😂

There are different strains of the virus and different vaccines, no idea of the actual figures but a combination of a less effective vaccine plus a specific strain of virus such as the one currently in France May lead to some assuming they are fairly well protected which may not be the case.

Hospital admissions are on the rise and this includes some who have had both vaccines….so…..risk is indeed lower for some than others.

We are born into history and history is born into us.