cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax return - deadline - reminder

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Tax return - deadline - reminder

Last day today, Anyone going to be late?
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tax return - deadline - reminder

I had to get mine in by the first deadline. Although I have a relatively simple business I also receive money from a trust so cannot file online. This leaves me with the paper SA forms which have to be in much earlier than the online stuff.
On a plus note, as I usually get a tax rebate each year, I get it before Christmas Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not had to do one for years (thankfully).
If I had to, I'd purposely do mine on paper, before the paper deadline to save the government admin costs Smiley
Wish I was as lucky as you DomS. I seem to always get told I owe x tax, then y tax a week later, followed by z the following week.
So my tax code adjusts every 5 minutes to sort what they think I should owe them.
I should really do one and work it out for myself, as obviously they don't have a clue themselves. Roll eyes
Fixes: 101

I was very happy when I was told I didn't need to do one anymore Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah I had to do one for three years running about 7-8 years ago, then I was told I didn't have to do one anymore, and they'd take it off my tax code instead.
Which seems to change so often, they obviously haven't got a clue what the situation is.
I should really sit down and work it out for myself - if I think I've paid too much tax (and it's more than say £2.50) then opt to fill out one next year.
Otherwise, don't bother.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: Alex
Not had to do one for years (thankfully).

I think I have only had to complete one Tax Return and that was back in the '80s.
When I was working in the noughties (?) for three years they got my tax wrong - overpaid. I used to do my own calculations, sent  them to HMRC and get a refund usually within a penny or two Smiley Considering my tax was relatively simple I could never understand how they managed to get it so wrong Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Considering my tax was relatively simple I could never understand how they managed to get it so wrong Undecided

Back in the 90s I once received two assessments from different tax offices for the same year, one demanded 2 grand while the other said they owed me two grand.  I sent each a copy of the other's assessment and that was the last heard about it  Roll eyes
Happy to say that I sorted out this year's tax a couple of weeks ago.  My missus sorted hers at the same time.  Came up with HMRC owing her £400.  Get a letter last week to say the HMRC had re-calculated and they owed her £500.  And it was paid into her account yesterday.  Last time I had a rebate (many years ago), it took years - quite literally.
Fixes: 121

I think the problems I had were because I had a private pension as well as work income both dealt with at different tax offices. It took my calls to sort out the tax coding between the two of them as one had the correct code for my allowance and the other had a temporary (BR, I think) code.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

When you have multiple incomes (e.g. pensions) at separate tax offices it will get sorted out eventually.
Sometimes they will even send you a form for you to list them all to help them do this.
However, it can take a year or two for it all to work through the various systems.
If having it as accurate as possible every year is important to you then you need to manage it yourself and phone the various offices to get the codes adjusted.
They will still follow their own processes and reconcile and adjust it all eventually. Having some incomes at BR (basic rate) will very often be the correct outcome anyway.
BR is not necessarily a temporary code.  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Wish I was as lucky as you DomS. I seem to always get told I owe x tax, then y tax a week later, followed by z the following week.

I wish I earned enough at the moment to pay tax  Grin
The wife is in a similar situation though, she gets a new company car every 6 months and her tax bounces all over the place because of the P11D values  - they can never get it right.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Deadline has been extended by a fortnight to 15 February IN CERTAIN CASES.
"The new date applies to taxpayers who between midnight on 21 January and midnight on 31 January this year, signed up for the self-assessment online service or requested a replacement user ID or password."
N.B. Any tax due to be paid must still be paid by 31st January.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/30/self-assessment-reprieve-late-filers
Community Veteran

10 hours left - what's the rush?!

I submitted mine an hour ago and owed the usual £25
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

I recall the days of having to prepare 3 returns as business was a partnership with SWMBO.
Before online returns I used to drive to tax office in Milton Keynes and put them through special letterbox.
TORPC
Grafter

I completed mine online last week
Community Veteran

Quote from: DomS

The wife is in a similar situation though, she gets a new company car every 6 months and her tax bounces all over the place because of the P11D values  - they can never get it right.

Every six months Shocked She must work for a very profitable company Smiley