Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax on Parking

Community Veteran

Tax on Parking

18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Tax on Parking

I can see cities marketing themselves as 'Workplace Parking Levy' free zones to attract businesses.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

would be better to have tax relief for using public transport, but as that wouldn't generate income won't get anywhere.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Reminds me when we moved to a new office on Bournemouth Airport Industrial estate and one of the conditions was that we should discourage car use and limit the parking spaces to less than needed for the number of staff. This was to encourage the use of public transport - except there wasn't any within 1 1/2  miles
Community Veteran

Quote from: adiewoo
would be better to have tax relief for using public transport ...

public transport already has I understand heavy subsidies. strange how the train ticket prices are still crazy though.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

In the past planning permission was dependent on sufficient parking spaces being provided.  Now it appears the move is to reduce them.  Have you ever seen the parking allocated at your local council buildings for the sole use of staff Roll eyes
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Certainly have, artmo, with a large proportion reserved for councillors too. 
Not young enough to know everything

our council workers don't get free parking.. which is a shame as SWMBO has to get fleeced like everyone else Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Company my OH works for 'bonus' staff at the rate of £5 per day for using public transport, walking, car share or cycleing to work.
Came about because the company expanded and was running out of parking places, (other option was to overflow onto the street).
Subsequently there was always plenty of room in the carpark for 'customers'.
We need incentives not penalities………….

I ride (rode) to the station up until this week; we had, until two weeks ago, secure parking in bike cages until the station in its wisdom decided someone might plant a bomb so these were removed and replaced with hoops.
But the area is covered by CCTV and patrolled. On Tuesday someone nicked my bike.
The patrols didn't see my busted lock and helmet and the floor and I was informed on Thursday by the police the CCTV wasn't recording.
Another great incentive...
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
We need incentives not penalities………….

Have to go and dig the tax form out which I use to claim tax relief on mileage. If posters are not aware the tax man allow 40p per mile to be paid by the employer tax free. If your employer pay less than this the difference between what's actually paid and the 40p qualify for tax refief.
Getting back to the original point the form also has a section if you use a cycle to get to work to claim tax relief, just have to go and find a copy of the form.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we had a similar case to Adie near here last week, one of the sub stations near Colchester, it has a bike cage for secure "Parking" but the staff didnt have the time to lock it, result less bikes at night.
The one who talked to the press had an answer for Adie, he got a small folder and took it right into work with him, bike at both end.
Community Veteran

Well you have that Nat Ex crowd running the Great Eastern these days  Angry  - for now.......
not the best of the train companies  - they are ruining the East Coat Main Line too - but not for much longer - thank goodness
Euge
Grafter

Sorry! We couldn't find the page you requested.
The page you requested is no longer available on Yahoo! News.

I didn't get to see the story but I think you're referring to paying tax for parking at work in Nottingham? Something along those lines.
I had my car parked at work one day, which is parked there at my own risk as for everyone else. There are CCTV cameras looking at every other section of that car park except where my car was parked which also happens to be the through route to a rough housing estate. Needless to say one day the window got smashed but the idiot didn't realise that there was nothing in the car to steal
The result:

Had to buy two white doors to replace the missing window and the huge dent on the other side.
itsme
Grafter

You can claim 20p per mile tax relief on cycles unfortunately it have to be for business miles. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf