Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax dodging Brits....really!

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Tax dodging Brits....really!

Our Media seem to relish in writing about all the tax dodging that supposedly goes on, but are their tales a true reflection of the truth as it is for Mr and Mrs Bloggs? I wonder! I think "not", if a statement in the finance section of Saga Magazine is to be believed.

The government from 2015/6 tax year introduced a transferable tax allowance between married couples or civil partners; this year up to £1100 of unused allowance can be transferred = £220 increased family income, yet Saga says only 8% of couples have claimed!

Maybe it's ignorance or lethargy, but I think the Media ( and Government) have not  helped ordinary folk get what is due them.

Do you disagree?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Tax dodging Brits....really!

It's not the average joe bloggs doing the tax-dodging, it's the silver-spooners with big accountants & bank accounts outside of the UK's jurisdiction doing the dodging, after all, we "the great unwashed" pay tax everyday, through VAT, fuel duty, council tax, the "road fund licence" (aka road tax), bank fees, etc., if we don't we get the courts after us and bailiffs sent after us, but the big guys, nope, exempt due to "creative accounting"...

So the media are kind of right, but, they're just not pinpointing their accusations due to the big boys having legal teams that can sue them into oblivion...

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Though popularly true, don't forget all of the cash in hand merchants, no income tax, no vat...

Community Veteran

townman wrote:

no income tax, no vat...

No money back, no guarantee...

Fixes: 125

twocvbloke wrote:

the "road fund licence" (aka road tax),

Think the Road fund licence was abolished in the 50'sWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The road fund license is your car tax, originally there was the "Road Tax", but that was the one abolished in 1937, and replaced with the "Road Fund License" which is a license to use your vehicle on the road, then a bored jobsworth decided to give it a more political name of "Vehicle Excise Duty", but either way, it's road tax... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Luzern,

But where do Saga get their figure of 8% from ?

Some couples will be below the level of income or perhaps just above so no point claiming for a few pounds, equally those on really high pensions and salaries are also unlikely to bother claiming.

There have also been cases of people who have claimed finding it impossible to get through on the internet.

I Think there has been adequate publicity about it but the best way to increase the uptake is to double the amount of allowance that can be transferred.

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

it's road tax... Grin

It walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.

Yes it's definitely road tax.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles

Where Saga got the info from was not stated, and I agree there will be some at the margins who will not think it worthwhile to claim. Some too are ill informed. Nevertheless 8% is a very low figure.

As for those who couldn't get through on the internet, my wife with me at her side had very little trouble, unless a tax officer's reminder that the claim had not been received several weeks after my coding had been amended is trouble.

I'm thinking lack of patience or stickabilty, or presence of can't- be- botheredness might be another factor.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.