Tax credits retreat hits the unemployed

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tax credits retreat hits the unemployed

Hi All
Just seen this:
George Osborne 'targets housing benefit' to pay for tax credits retreat
George Osborne backs off from a raid on universal credit and eyes cuts to housing benefit instead
George Osborne is said to be plotting cuts to target housing benefit to pay for his climb down on tax credits.
The Chancellor is desperately looking for welfare cuts elsewhere after being forced to rethink the £4.4billion cuts to working tax credits .
Allies of Iain Duncan Smith claim they have seen off an attempt by the Treasury to raid the universal credit to cover the cost.
The Work and Pensions Secretary had indicated he would resign if Mr Osborne targeted his flagship universal credit scheme.
The Chancellor is said to have backed off from the plan which would have seen the amount of each pound claimants could earn on top of their benefits cut from 35p to 25p - a taper rate of 75p.
Read More here

Angry  Angry  Angry
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Tax credits retreat hits the unemployed

It will effect those with the least whatever he decides to do.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oh here we go again... Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

will be interesting to see if this only affects those people on job seekers for longer than 12 months or if it affects everyone getting housing benefit or just everyone who isn't on universal credit (since they didn't roll out universal credit for many people yet) that claims housing benefit.... I cant see effectively making hundreds of thousands of people homeless will make him any friends either, in fact far less than just hitting tax credits (although he could just as easily have tapered it in a different way so those at the top got less and those at the bottom remained the same)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Typical ,, take money away form those who can least afford it  Roll eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
itsme
Grafter

Explain how this is taking money away?
nanotm
Pro

if its true then its going to make a lot of people homeless through failure to pay rent,
@itsme
its taking money away because you will have to find the cash for your landlord from somewhere, that's going to be from crime or its going to get you dispossessed and a court order will take away a few quid a week from your benefits until the few grand owed are paid back ...
itsme
Grafter

How can you take money away when it's not their money in the first place?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

ITSME !!!!
It is my money !!! 60 years old worked all my life , including 10 years is RAF . taxes all paid , national insurance all paid for last 45 years , i believe i deserve some cash back ! 
After 5 heart attacks i no longer work  , Housing benefits pay my rent !  if they take some away i  have to pay it from my PIP payments . which is just minimal to live on
If i dont pay my rent and become homeless what happens , 
Oh yes i forgot the refugees will get it while i live on the streets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If those with young children are forced out of their current accommodation as a result of changes to housing benefit the local council will have to put them up in temporary accommodation such as a local hotel which will cost even more than what has been saved in housing benefit, local councils are also having their money cut but they have a statutory duty to provide accommodation to mothers with young children which means that other services they provide will be cut.
Whilst the press, quite correctly point out the obscene salaries paid to some senior council staff it's unlikely this would save much overall if these were reduced or frozen.
Community Veteran

Quote from: rongtw
taxes all paid , national insurance all paid for last 45 years , i believe i deserve some cash back ! 

I'm sure most people could say the same.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's called a state pension.
Or have you used the NHS in the last few decades?
Or have you had children who went to school?
etc, etc

nanotm
Pro

its called national insurance, you pay it so in times of need your covered for life, I paid more than 40k in ni premiums in the first decade I worked, because its a good policy it gives me family cover for life even if I stop making payments, in return I get free welfare free healthcare and free education for my whole family and once I reach that age I also get a pension to tide me over in my dotage.
housing benefit is a welfare payment, in my current positon I receive it along with other help and I probably utilise the health care side more than those in work, the only way you could withdraw welfare from people is if neither their parents nor themselves ever made a premium payment, otherwise as the company providing the payouts UKPLC will be in breach of contract, if Gideon is that desperate to save money then he should withdraw support from those that didn't keep up their end of the bargain (haven't paid premiums for at least a family generation)
yes we get a lot of money and help for our fairly modest premiums and a very inclusive policy for the benefit of us and our families, when you look at the very minimalist offerings of other nations we as  the British Public are practically rolling in it (which is why our country is such an attractive proposition for all the migrant workers and shirkers) and whilst varying the deed is sometimes necessary constantly cutting it isn't in the interests of the people in need, I couldn't manage to provide for my family without housing help because i'm not in a position to do so any more, but I'd rather burn the building down than let some free ride asylum seeker get it, if the mongs at the top can afford to fully find life for them for 2 years they can damn well afford to write a credit note for the public already here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: itsme
How can you take money away when it's not their money in the first place?

It is their money once its paid to them.. and it is currently their ENTITLEMENT - which makes it their money.
Quote from: rongtw
Oh yes i forgot the refugees will get it while i live on the streets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thats the most important thing. We sacrifice our own people to look after another countries people and problems - just like the indian space programme that we're subsidising.
The politicians of this country are incredibly twisted and have been for centuries. They have a warped understanding of the world. They'll harp on about going to war with other countries to eliminate evil and preserve life and yet they'll sacrifice our own people and their lives in order to do it - and they claim the enemy is evil?
Its no wonder america declared independence.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's easy to find a scapegoat.
I blame the governments credo of making the poor pay.
They have a policy of dismantling the Welfare State.