cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Return 2008

nadger
Rising Star

Tax Return 2008

Tax year ended last Saturday (5th April) and 2 buff envelopes arrived this morning.
Think I'll do our returns online this time albeit new self assessment forms look a lot simpler.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Tax Return 2008

Our notices arrived this morning too, we've been doing it online in our house for that past 3 years.
I haven't had any issues, though i like to get it done quickly and not wait..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

You might be interested to know that the HMRC website has bug in it and has had for some time.
This happened to me.
The problem occurs when they give you a refund and it is too much. Then of course you have to repay it. From that point on you can no longer manage your account online. When you log in to your account you get an error message to contact HMRC. When you ring them up they will tell you "oh yes we know about that" but do not offer a solution.
It has been like this almost two years to my knowledge

Although you can not access your account you can still fill in an online return.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

This is a home page for a BBC programme 'Working Lunch'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/working_lunch/default.stm
On the programme there is often advice about tax returns, and more information on the website.
nadger
Rising Star

We still had a business running ( partnership) which made it's final return last year so have stuck to paper returns until now.
Just completed online registrations so now await pin numbers to arrive within 7 days.
Overall it's amazing how fast they can move when it comes to taking our money Angry
Community Veteran

I am in the US this month and their tax returns have to be in by 15th April.  You have never seen such a rush for computers, copying facilities and a lot of worried faces.  The penalties for late returns here are much worse than in the UK.

when is the first date it can be in? I hope they get more than 2 weeks..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Overall it's amazing how fast they can move when it comes to taking our money

but not so amazing how slow they can move when it comes to paying back overpayments  Undecided Cry
nadger
Rising Star

Four white envelopes arrived this morning ( 2 each) containing unique user id and activation pin numbers.
Being a law abiding tax loving citizen I decided to file our returns for year ended 5th April 2008.
Government portal site would not allow me to activate my account despite several attempts. Tried SWMBO's details and they worked so completed her return.
Spotted that my unique user id didn't match the one I'd initially been given online so tried that id - still failed. Decided to try and get a new password sent but seems that I didn't exist.
Nothing for it but to ring 0845 number to be told I'd been using wrong password - after lots of debating I was told that I'd been locked out, for two hours, after 3rd failed attempt and that government portal site doesn't always accept passwords correctly.
Chap suggested I used HMRC website next time so, after 2 hour wait, I tried that and it worked with password I'd been using from outset Huh
Still confused as to why SWMBO's unique id was the same but mine had changed - hey ho that's our confidence inspiring government IT system for you  Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: adiewoo
when is the first date it can be in? I hope they get more than 2 weeks..

Yes, the tax year here in the US actually ends 31st December and they have until 15th April to file their returns and pay the tax due.
alanb
Grafter

I may be a luddite but I feel that my tax returns don't lend themselves to online filing, the information is just too complicated. Every year I struggle to work out what parts of the form I need to fill in. Or maybe more accurately why I need to fill in certain parts of the form. Doing that online would be like trying to read and fill in the form through a letter box.
I just received the short tax return  form and had to phone the tax office today to ask for the full-fat version with extra pages. I expected to be given a hard time for not doing it online and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I tried the online game soon after it started.
They wanted masses of detail, but when I tried to enter foreign dividend income it just told me to fill in a paper form.
I therefore always give it to them on paper.

nadger
Rising Star

Once I managed to access their system it wasn't too bad as all we have is pension income and interest from UK banks.
Does anyone know if they still send out paper confirmation of the final figures?

All i have had is a you owe us or we owe you mini statement type thing, never had a breakdown sent out to us.
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I get a single page showing a summary of tax due followed a few months later by a demand or repayment.