Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tattoo Removal on NHS

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Tattoo Removal on NHS

@gleneagles  Perhaps surety and quality of supply might be a factor. Things like nose jobs, enlargement or reduction of attributes, gender reassignments should be considered as doubtfully appropriate for NHS treatment.

NI and Income tax should be amalgamated. There is no justification for seniors (used to be over 60s) not to contribute according to income,and it would get rid of the anomaly that NI for the higher paid has a ceiling.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Tattoo removal on the NHS? No. Absolutely not.

If people are stupid enough to get them in the first place thinking it'll make them look cool / fit in with others then they can deal with the removal of it when they finally wake up to reality.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Luzern wrote:

@gleneagles  Perhaps surety and quality of supply might be a factor. Things like nose jobs, enlargement or reduction of attributes, gender reassignments should be considered as doubtfully appropriate for NHS treatment.

NI and Income tax should be amalgamated. There is no justification for seniors (used to be over 60s) not to contribute according to income,and it would get rid of the anomaly that NI for the higher paid has a ceiling.

I would think there are strict regulation covering the surety and quality of supply when it comes to medication. I cannot prove it but think it highly likely that the same company makes these drugs and supplies to both the NHS and independent sources.

Again I have no specific information but think these drugs cost little to make, if Asda can sell aspirin at 34p for a box and make a profit what price do they buy them for ? Perhaps the Department of Health should build a factory and make these drugs for the NHS ?

I cannot agree with your second point even though it's correct as I am biased due to my age !

Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Lighten up @7up (hey, that rhymes!) I don't think they should be removed on the NHS either but I rather like them in fact, I'm thinking of getting one done for my 70th birthday! 

Be honest, you want one really don't you Wink

Luzern
All Star

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

I would think there are strict regulation covering the surety and quality of supply when it comes to medication. I cannot prove it but think it highly likely that the same company makes these drugs and supplies to both the NHS and independent sources.

Again I have no specific information but think these drugs cost little to make, if Asda can sell aspirin at 34p for a box and make a profit what price do they buy them for ? Perhaps the Department of Health should build a factory and make these drugs for the NHS ?

I cannot agree with your second point even though it's correct as I am biased due to my age !

Smiley

Maybe I should be biased too, just into 9th decade. I've done well out of NHS- ops, procedures etc, and it seems fair we creekies who have decent incomes should pay accordingly.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 8

Tesco used to sell aspirin and paracetamol at 16p for 16 tablets a year or two ago.

I agree with Luzern that Income Tax and NI should be amalgamated, it has been hinted at over the years.  The problem is that many people believe NI goes to the NHS so don't mind if it's increased.  For example when Gordon Brown hiked it from 10 to 12% they'd held focus groups and found that the public were totally against an increase in Income Tax but would tolerate a hike in NI.  Having NI separate from Income Tax also means the government can pretend we're a low tax country while we effectively have 32%, 42% and 47% income tax rates.  Why does the percentage paid in NI contributions go down when the pay reaches a certain level?

I'm not one for advocating reducing benefits, but it does seem arbitrary that one stops paying for prescriptions at the age of 60 even if one works full time in a well-paid job.  I think prescriptions should only be free on age grounds from the normal retirement age.  Other benefits, like the winter fuel allowance and free travel, have now been moved to the normal retirement age.

I did mention on another thread recently that the NHS would go bankrupt when tattoos became unfashionable.  I predict that they will be removed under the NHS for the reason that being unfashionable leads to psychological trauma.

Luzern
All Star

My thoughts did not include pensioners having to pay at the pharmacy counter; hence my suggestion for amalgamation of NI in to tax. I don't want impositions at point of need.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Point of need?

My wifes granny used to get prescribed paracetamol by the bucket load and would pass them around the family, and I've lost count at the number of times I've handed unwanted and unneeded tablets back. Sometimes I feel like Mickey Mouse and all those buckets of water the broom kept getting. Crazy2

Community Veteran

@Minivanman

Was that not down to a GP failing to do his job ? I would have thought a patient would need to be seen and have their medication reviewed at regular intervals to ensure the medication was needed/working and the prescription adjusted accordingly.

Some types of medication are expensive, be interesting to know the total cost of the medication you returned (hypothetical question)

Any medication returned unused is destroyed and not passed on to someone else.

We also have a degree of responsibility regarding medication, if we no longer need it or need it less often we should let the GP know.

Millions would be saved if patients took this simple measure.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

If only it were that simple. Some GP's are very reluctant to take you off certain medications even when you tell them (as I have done and when you think they are listening) that they make me feel unwell or, in the case of statins, I am unhappy about taking them. There is an element at work here where if you are prescribed long term medication then 'job done' as far as they are concerned and to discontinue would leave them open to criticism shall we say. Dammed if the do or don't maybe but mine is not receptive to either change or alter my medication. I had the same issue with the hospital doctor following a mild stroke over medication I should never have been on in the first place. A bit of covering one's rear when prescribing? I'd say so. 

It's not just me either. One doctor I saw (do we ever see the same one these days?) got quite annoyed at what another GP had prescribed for me, even going so far as to say "what the hell are you on these for!"

Maybe I'm not putting that over very well but really, that is the situation I find myself in.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

With regards to fertility treatment @artmo, I received the following earlier Smiley

Childbirth at 65

With all the new technology regarding fertility on the NHS, a rather doddery 65-year-old friend of mine was able to give birth. When she was discharged from the hospital and went home, I went to visit.
'May I see the new baby?' I asked
'Not yet,' She said 'I'll make coffee and we can visit for a while first.'
Thirty minutes had passed, and I asked, 'May I see the new baby now?'
'No, not yet,' She said.
After another few minutes had elapsed, I asked again, 'May I see the baby now?'
'No, not yet,' replied my friend.
Growing very impatient, I asked, 'Well, when can I see the baby?'
'When he cries!' she told me. When he cries?' I demanded. 'Why do I have to wait until he cries?'
'BECAUSE I FORGOT WHERE I PUT HIM, OK.?'

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

If only it were that simple. Some GP's are very reluctant to take you off certain medications even when you tell them (as I have done and when you think they are listening) that they make me feel unwell or, in the case of statins, I am unhappy about taking them. There is an element at work here where if you are prescribed long term medication then 'job done' as far as they are concerned and to discontinue would leave them open to criticism shall we say. Dammed if the do or don't maybe but mine is not receptive to either change or alter my medication. I had the same issue with the hospital doctor following a mild stroke over medication I should never have been on in the first place. A bit of covering one's rear when prescribing? I'd say so. 

It's not just me either. One doctor I saw (do we ever see the same one these days?) got quite annoyed at what another GP had prescribed for me, even going so far as to say "what the hell are you on these for!"

Maybe I'm not putting that over very well but really, that is the situation I find myself in.

Let us be clear about this....No GP has the power to make you take any medication you do not wish to take.

The GP can advise you what might happen if you fail to take it. Intresting you mention a second GP questioned you regarding what another GP had described which clearly shows they all have their opinions on what is best for you.

If your GP is almost bullying you into taking something then perhaps it's time for a change of GP.

Smiley

Community Veteran

A interesting program to watch tonight on BBC 2.....9.00pm....Hospital, 'The treatment of overseas patients within the NHS'

No wonder the NHS is overspent !

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

"Let us be clear about this....No GP has the power to make you take any medication you do not wish to take"

Indeed not, which is why I am not taking them and why I hand them back to the pharmacist but, the GP will not alter my prescription! As for changing my GP, like that is going to be easy and like any other GP is going to welcome this 'Mr Awkward' with open arms. 

The medical profession and certain doctors can be little more than testicle squeezing "key holders" to further care, referrals and treatment..... so I guess it's back to taking those tablets back - which I think is where we came in Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

"An interesting program to watch tonight on BBC 2......"

More like this you mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38809530