Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariff changing- how far will you go?

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Tariff changing- how far will you go?

My fix for gas and leccy is ending, so I've been doing my sums. Unless I go for one of the very small and, as seems from the news doubtful ones the difference in costs of my current supplier's best offer and a cheaper one I'd consider safe with is under £7 per month.

The sites all make comparisons attractive by using standard tariffs, but how keen to save would that £7 or 23 pence a day? And wha twould you do with the fortune?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
10 REPLIES 10
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Tariff changing- how far will you go?

We took out a 3 year fixed priced deal last April with first utility (Now called, 'Shell')

Clearly this was more expensive than other deals on offer at the time but there has been a recent price increase in energy this month and I suspect not the last one we will see in the next few years.

Will the deal we took out be any cheaper over the long run......unlikely.....but constantly changing to save a few pounds is not worth the hassle

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Like @gleneagles  I won`t bother changing suppliers unless the yearly difference is equivalent to £1.00 per week  (or £52.00 annually)...Some of the lower cost tarriffs do not include the winter warm allowance, or they want you to sign up for Direct Debit... whereas, I read my meter on a set date.. email the results, and 24 hours later pay from my online bank for the amount I have used. Not paying by DD probably costs me 12 quid a year, but so what... I am in charge of MY money, in MY account... not the other way around  !..

Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 3

I find Tonik a good company to deal with and reasonably priced. Going into my 3rd year with them next month. No fees to leave and interest on credit balances too!

ffox
Pro

I had an email from Shell Energy today: "Stay in control of your energy prices by picking a new tariff."  Rather surprised, because I have 75 days to go on the existing tariff; the normal period for no-fee cancellation is 49 days.  

I go to the website, select the cheapest new dual fuel tariff and am then asked "Are you sure? If you cancel your present tariff early you will incur costs of £60."   Grrr! 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Saving is a saving I guess, but one of £7 for both gas and electric seems neither here or there unless income is low and outgoings higher. 

I'd leave well alone m'self if you are happy with your suppliers. 

Every little does not always help... at least that's what my Mrs tells me. Wink

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@ffox That mistake must have come from member from before the company's renaming, FU.Funny

@Minivanman You will probably guess my decision. Even though my supplier does get stick, I have been with them for perhaps nearly five years, and I have sorted the few problems without much effort. Maybe I shouldn't think, that while the stories heard about errors may contain truth, can the complainants have contributed to the problems?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

Update

I happened to find other correspondence to make me wonder about my calculations, and contacted my supplier on chat so,fuel cpy ltr for forum.gif

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

The result is that the representative agreed the actual cost was the higher one, and the discrepancy was caused by use of existing balances in the letter I received (that was one raising my OP). Rep agreed to pass on my concerns, that fol could be led to wrong decisions.

I shall therefore be changing supplier.

BTW

My posts are split, because after inserting the image, I was unable to enter more text.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

It's the term "supplier" that gets me.

Surely they are all just brokers ergo, middle men earning easy money at our expense?

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

I had a "deal" with Scottish Power.

So I went to https://moneysavingexpert.com and found a tariff which was much superior to any that Scottish Power offer to their customers...

I then elected to "switch" from Scottish Power to (you guessed it) Scottish Power...Grin

After about 3 months the switching site sent me £25 - so a bit silly, but I gained twice.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."