cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taranis

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Taranis

Lets hope no one ever hacks into the software on this otherwise we might all be in trouble,
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2014-02-05/bae-hails-lancashire-built-stealth-drone-test-flights/
10 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: Taranis

Read the title, imagined this:

Was disappointed! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had the same image in my head Kelly, wondered why a Eve thread was in chit chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
TORPC
Grafter

Who needs leakapedia, when we have ITV et al  Roll eyes
A top-secret stealth drone - built by BAE Systems in Lancashire - has carried out its first successful test flights, it has been announced.

Now the enemy's worldwide will know by now what we have got in our arsenal Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The project, which has so far cost £185 million - funded jointly by the Ministry of Defence and UK industry, will be able to launch precision strikes in hostile territory while remaining undetected.
But bosses today said that although the aircraft could fly itself autonomously, it would not be used in that way - and would not be able to set its own missions.

£185 million on a war machine that can fly itself (no doubt costing £Millions in autopilot programming alone) and they're not even going to let it fly automously?
What was the point?
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see we're still developing stuff here in the UK but seriously, at a time of economic hardship being imposed on most of us, why spend money on features they admit they will not be using?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

It is because they have disposable funds
If they were only given a solid fixed amount and never allowed to go over by even 1p then they might stop wasting so much
However that said that will never happen as it will be all or nothing ending up in loss of jobs etc
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
The project, which has so far cost £185 million - funded jointly by the Ministry of Defence and UK industry, will be able to launch precision strikes in hostile territory while remaining undetected.
But bosses today said that although the aircraft could fly itself autonomously, it would not be used in that way - and would not be able to set its own missions.

£185 million on a war machine that can fly itself (no doubt costing £Millions in autopilot programming alone) and they're not even going to let it fly automously?
What was the point?
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see we're still developing stuff here in the UK but seriously, at a time of economic hardship being imposed on most of us, why spend money on features they admit they will not be using?

because the autopilot feature would be used to get the drone from wherever its stationed to the target area before control being assigned to a person who will then carry out the mission, then set it onto autopilot mode again for the trip home, something that people have been arguing about for decades in fighter jets (which in theory can do the same thing) menaing the pilots get more rack time so they are fresher and more alert when "doing the biz"
that's why they have a fully autonomous flight system designed and tested as part of the drone, but the public backlash if they admitted it was the intention would be horrendous
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

That makessense nano, great explanation!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just over a year ago several people in Lancashire/Cumbria  spotted something hovering in the air for a few minutes  and then move across the sky at a speed much faster than an aeroplane and not shaped like one.
Some, including those who did not even see it jumped to the conclusion that it must be a UFO, in the absence of anything else what else could it be ? Nothing had been sighted on Radar.
Well now we know what it was but it's interesting to note that if people cannot find an explanation for something  their imagination goes into overdrive and reinforces something they already believe in.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles: It's not vtol though so how could this be what those people saw hovering around in the air?
Reminds me of something else we were supposed to be working on however which was supposed to be triangular in shape and based in the kent area somewhere 14 years ago. Never even knew kent had a military air base but then if it's secret..  Crazy
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

to make it vtol would only require 2  fans be inserted into the wings to provide the lift once it had slowed down enough, it would also be more fuel efficient to utilise rotary hover techniques, of course they would also require some sort of sliding cover that would in all likelihood remove a portion of the stealth capability...
your referring to the prism shaped mac6.1 capable bluestreak recon program (that was allegedly capable of traversing the globe in 3 hours) something that was indeed a working prototype was constructed at a back street garage facility in Kent, it was even allowed to embark upon a few test flights and abandoned as too costly and not versatile enough compared with satellite based options........and we go into reported crash
I wouldn't be overly concerned by any of the current batch of drone programs anyhow, they were borne of some impressionable chap watching a robin Williams film (toys) and that came from various reports in the USA that private investigators were hooking up cameras to RC helo's to snoop on targets.......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you