cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tap water (feeling sticky) & a mildly sour taste

TORPC
Grafter

Tap water (feeling sticky) & a mildly sour taste

For about a week or so, our (that includes neighbours) water through the taps, have gone from being
Normal ===> Greasy =====> Sticky
The water is clear / aerated & very mildly tastes sour
The air bubbles are sticking to the sides of the glass (I know aerated water should be ok) & typically floats from the bottom of the glass to the top of the glass
After having enough & can not stand no more, I called WelshWater, ( Unlike other utility companies) I got straight through to a human being  Shocked  Cool
They arranged for an inspector to come out today for 10 AM (30 mins later than appointment time) the inspector turned up
He said to run the cold tap to flush the water through as, there had been some works done in the local area to fix broken pipework, & the chlorine levels would be higher than normal due to the usage of chlorine to seal the joints , & he would do the same with the nearest standpipe.
Hear we are 7 hours later, & the water still the same  Angry
He rang my mobile to say that, they have done all they can & asked me for an update, I told him it was still feeling sticky, & he claims there is nothing else to try, other than running th water overnight, as his test concludes that the levels are safe.
Showers or baths, have come unbearable, even clothes, are feeling greasy after being washed (even neighbours are having the same problem)
For an example
I have a terry towelling rag, which is only used to wipe my glasses, (after it's last wash, it leaves greasy smears on my glasses)
Considering they have made a fortune in profits despite, being a non profit company

[quote= http://www.caerphillyobserver.co.uk/news/944960/welsh-water-announces-record-profits/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=welsh-water-announces-record-profits]Welsh Water have announced pre-tax profits of £50m, its strongest performance since becoming a not-for-profit company in 2001.

I think that the inspector should of come back out & taken samples to test for more than chlorine.
Whilst typing this SWMBO asked me not to post it just yet, as she is calling Welswater back.
She has just come off the phone & have said that the lady she spoke to, is also not happy that the inspector has only tested for chlorine levels & safe to drink levels, as he should of tested the PH / IP7, mineral content & much more, & that another job is placed for tomorrow.
It goes to show that no matter what the company / job is
There will always be employees that do not (for their own reasoning) do their jobs correctly
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tap water (feeling sticky) & a mildly sour taste

What I would wonder about is if you're on a meter and they want you to run and run your tap who pays for it?
TORPC
Grafter

Thankfully we are not on a meter, (Not asked individual neighbours) thus not sure how it would affect any on the meter(s)
Our Water bill is included with our rent
Community Veteran

Around here what they usually do is open a standpipe just up from any repairs and run it until it's clean.
So looks like they never bothered doing that.
Doing that later is too late as all the rubbish has already travelled up the pipes.
TORPC
Grafter

Arrh!!!
The after the horse has bolted syndrome.......
It is approx 3 weeks since we had some roads turned into rivers & several houses flooded out, 22 may to be exact,
I was wondering if that could of had a bearing on the filtration side of things, & the filters need cleaning / changing
Edit:

After having consultation with our good friend google, I was thrown a mix of results one of which suggests a medical condition called (Morgellons disease)
Here is the results page from our good friend google  Wink
I forgot to add that typically we have to de-scale the kettle on a regular basis
I have deciphered my consultations results, to a certain degree
http://www.water-research.net/hardness.htm (mainly applies to the US), yet has very useful info Wink
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ip/ip7/ip7.htm (A costly prospect)
http://hafermanwater.com/water-problems/ ; (Useful info)
WTF
Grafter

Surely your water won't have become harder than it was before?  Well, not unless they'd started piping it in from a different source Undecided
Around where Ilve, we don't so much have hard water as soft rock.  It's pretty grim - I had to de-scale my espresso machine like every 3 weeks  Shocked
About 2.5 years ago we had a water softener installed and it's great.  Doesn't cost too much to run - maybe £4.50 a month - and only requires attention (adding more salt blocks) about once every 5 weeks.  I haven't needed to de-scale the coffee machine, kettle or anything since.  The glass in the shower cubicles stays clear.  Best of all, my hair now feels like hair instead of straw.  Apparently, it also helps washing machines, dishwashers and boilers last a bit longer - though I don't see this ever actually saving us money, despite what the various vendors imply in their bumph.
Back to your water - they're not fracking anywhere near you, are they?  Places in the US had issues with water contamination due to fracking.
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
Surely your water won't have become harder than it was before?  Well, not unless they'd started piping it in from a different source :-

Not uncommon for Welsh Water, I know SWMBO's supply has changed source whilst they were doing major pipe works.
Back to your water - they're not fracking anywhere near you, are they?  Places in the US had issues with water contamination due to fracking.

You can test for that by putting a flame to it!
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quotes fixed ]
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Fixes: 125

About 2.5 years ago we had a water softener installed and it's great.  Doesn't cost too much to run - maybe £4.50 a month - and only requires attention (adding more salt blocks) about once every 5 weeks.  I haven't needed to de-scale the coffee machine, kettle or anything since.  The glass in the shower cubicles stays clear.  Best of all, my hair now feels like hair instead of straw.  Apparently, it also helps washing machines, dishwashers and boilers last a bit longer - though I don't see this ever actually saving us money, despite what the various vendors imply in their bumph.

When we had that done in a property we owned 12 years ago we had an extra tap added to  the kitchen sink for drinking water that bypassed the salt filter which was a great boon as I found the taste of the filtered water to be pretty dire.
My mum has a similar system but spared the expense of a separate drinking tap.
I'm wondering now how much her salt costs so will check that out next time I'm there.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Have the rules changed - I though that an untreated tap was mandatory
Fixes: 125

I have no idea as I wasn't involved in arranging either but mum's was done around 6 months before ours in 2002.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Checked http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=ht...
SOFTENED WATER AND HEALTH
Water softening removes the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium, by exchanging these minerals for sodium in common salt.
Q  Should a water softener be installed to leave a drinking tap which supplies unsoftened water?
A Yes.  Although there is no absolute legal requirement in the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations, 1999, the British Water Code of Practice recommends that a mains water tap should be fitted, where reasonably practicable, when an ion-exchange water softener is installed. It is particularly important that all water mixed with powdered milk for babies’ feed is drawn from an unsoftened mains tap. This is because powdered milk already contains sufficient sodium, and very young babies have a limited tolerance to sodium. Anyone on a sodium-restricted diet should follow their doctor’s instructions.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic
Surely your water won't have become harder than it was before?  Well, not unless they'd started piping it in from a different source :-

Not uncommon for Welsh Water, I know SWMBO's supply has changed source whilst they were doing major pipe works.
Back to your water - they're not fracking anywhere near you, are they?  Places in the US had issues with water contamination due to fracking.

You can test for that by putting a flame to it!
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quotes fixed ]

No reference to say our water has been diverted
Thankfully no evidence of fracking (by the flame test)
Quote from: Townman
No good for putting out fires then!

Well I hope I never have to test that theory in a real life situation, by running a Tea Towel under the tap then ringing out, place over flaming pan
Quote from: Mav
About 2.5 years ago we had a water softener installed and it's great.  Doesn't cost too much to run - maybe £4.50 a month - and only requires attention (adding more salt blocks) about once every 5 weeks.  I haven't needed to de-scale the coffee machine, kettle or anything since.  <snip>

When we had that done in a property we owned 12 years ago we had an extra tap added to  the kitchen sink for drinking water that bypassed the salt filter which was a great boon as I found the taste of the filtered water to be pretty dire.<snip>

May have to look into that as an option
Quote from: Oldjim
Checked http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=ht...

F.Y.I link is a direct download
So much for the inspector to call me back yesterday & then again today to come & take sample(s) of the water for testing Undecided if they (welshwater are taking this serious)
I have now contacted Environmental Health Department, & they are going to look into it
With a non profit company of £50 Million reported profits, I am sure that no to very little money has actually been spent, on the filtration system or infrastructure
Getting the feeling that they are just as bad if not worse than BTOpenreach et al
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Going back a few hundred years ago water was so contimanated it was safer to drink beer  and similar alcoholic drinks, so perhaps that's the solution but I'm not sure what your clothes would come out like if washed in beer .  Wink Cheesy
myredhotcar
Grafter

I've washed clothes in beer but to be fair the beer had carrots in it.