cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tanker Drivers Strike

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Tanker Drivers Strike

Currently, there is a strike taking place, by Fuel Tanker Drivers, against the SHELL petrol company, in respect of higher wages, due to the profit made by SHELL......
I have just been to http://www.petrolprices.com logged in, and checked out the cheapest price for petrol/diesel in my postcode area....
Strange to say there are 13 Shell forecourts, 2 Asda and one Tesco, all selling at the same price within 20 miles of my home....
There is a "private" ESSO garage just 1.2 miles away, and he is 3p per litre more expensive than SHELL, and Morrisons at 1.8 miles away are 2p a litre more expensive than SHELL.
The nearest SHELL garage is just 1.9 miles (usually the wrong way for my journeys)
I am neither "for" or "against" the strikers..... but it does make you think about the very Hazardous job they do.  (not much chance of survival if you were unfortunate to crash and have a fire!)  Huh
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Tanker Drivers Strike

But Shell don't pay the drivers and aren't directly involved in the negotiations..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

£31,000 a year sounds like a lot of money to me, for driving a lorry.  I know there are special circumstances, but even so that's a pretty good wack.
The fireman who comes to fight the fire after the lorry driver has had his accident may be getting just over half that.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Listening to the news this morning - stuck in a traffic jam http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7452188.stm - the drivers are claiming that were they still employed by Shell they would be earning about £48,000 per year

And I were employed by Google for what I do I could possibly be double what I'm earning.
But I'm not and as hulls said isn't not a bad whack for driving a truck - if they don't like it they could quit like I'd have to if I wanted to get more money...
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and they seem to talking a lot of hype, no positive figures, but I (As an ex shop steward, now retired) dont believe them when they say they are getting the same as they were in the early 90's, 18 years and no wage rise  Undecided
Lucky we are not in Spain, a total blockage since last Monday by the truckers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/956069.stm
Community Veteran

just read this http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1318936,00.html?f=rss
The 500 drivers involved claim their average pay of £32,000 has not increased since 1992.
Employers Hoyer UK and Suckling Transport offered to up it by 7.3% backdated to January 1, 2008.
They said this would have taken average earnings to over £39,000.
They also offered a further 6% increase from January 1, 2009, which would have taken the drivers' pay to around £41,500.
Both offers were rejected by union representatives at last ditch talks between the two sides.

Think I'll pack my job in and go and drive for them if they want to pay me 41k for the pleasure.
Will Moderate For Thanks
johpal
Grafter

I work with children and radioactive material; another potentially dangerous situation. I don't earn as much as 32,000 a year and my pay rise of 2.3% was satged, making it approx. 1.9% total. These guys do a job of work, but talking the figures above makes me sick and I have no empathy.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I wonder how that £32,000 compares with an ordinary HGV driver?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As a driver of very large vehicles, I can assure you that there is little physical effort required to drive modern trucks/buses etc. everything is power assisted, and apart from the sheer size and heavy reliance on mirrors are just as easy to drive as a car. For tanker drivers the "Trick" is keeping out of trouble and well away from other vehicles, which most do very well, but even tanker drivers can't stay away from idiots bent on trying to kill themselves and anybody else within range with appalling driving, no amount of skill and expertise will make tanker drivers any less of a target.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I work with children and radioactive material;

Blimey ! that is dangerous......    Shocked  and I thought Lifeboat men had a dangerous job  Undecided
Community Veteran

Some of the figures quoted include overtime and some don't so this clouds the issue to some degree. 
On C4 News tonight it seems to be agreed that if the tanker drivers were to accept the 7.3% backdated to January and a further 6% from January 2009 they will then be on a basic of £41.5k.
As for them not having a pay rise for 18 years, can you imagine a group of workers backed by a trade union allowing this t be the case?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
As for them not having a pay rise for 18 years, can you imagine a group of workers backed by a trade union allowing this t be the case?

Not very plausible is it?
It all stinks of opportunism while petrol prices are in the news big time.
Community Veteran

The wording as taken from the Unite web site is
Unite says that Shell tanker drivers today earn a basic wage of just under £32,000 per year for a 48-hour working week.  In 1992, a typical tanker driver directly employed by Shell earned approximately £32,000 per year for a 37-hour week.
I don't think they are using a real comparison but in any case look at the bits in bold - not quite the same are they.