cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talktalk in trouble again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Talktalk in trouble again

A three million quid fine for wrongful billing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14569918
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Talktalk in trouble again

Not sure a fine is the best option.
Surely that will just be passed on to all customers in the form of higher charges.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Most probably, but if they increase there prices they will be less competativly priced and would loose customers or potential signups, which would hurt the business a little.  Other options would be to take it out of advertising/marketing budgets which again could lead to less signups again hurting them.  Or they could take it out of profits.  Any of these ways will not be liked by management or investors, so is a deterant to not do it again, or for other companies to do it.
Phil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This kind of publicity with cost them current and potential customers.
With the amount of bad publicity they have had over the years i'm surprised they have any customers !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Perhaps this kind of publicity should be put on comparison websites in the interest of fair comparison (including what might be bad about some of the deals on offer)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

part of their growth has been acquisitions, I was with F2S which was bought by Opal which was bought by TalkTalk at which stage i bailed out    Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not all things about that group are bad, I wanted an unlocked phone - just simple to use a Lebara cheap card.
in my small town we have the following shops selling phones Tesco, orange, 3, t, pnones4u and CPW
Tesco cheapest £49, the only other was CPW, went in said what I wanted, then csme the surprise, you can have this one for £25.99 cash or if you pay by card £15.99, then another surprise, if you take this Virgin card it will give you £10 phone call an 300 SMS and it will soste you £12.99, then when the £10 has run out you can use the Lebara sim,  so the brand new unlocked phone actually cost me £2.99 - and it works
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've always thought Carphone Warehouse were pretty fair, never realised they were part of 'that group', (I assume the usual aquisitions / mergers) but don't forget PlusNet are part of the BT group but thankfully, and presumably like CPW, operate independently and generally give at least a better than average customer experience (certainly within their pricing bracket).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I was with F2S which was bought by Opal which was bought by TalkTalk at which stage i bailed out    Smiley

Actually F2S, which was initially St Albans based, was purchased by Pipex Comms ( was GX Comms) and was moved in with Nildram at Stoke Mandeville.
Pipex Comms sold all broadband to Tiscali in Sept 2007 and TalkTalk subsequently bought Tiscali UK
Sorry to sound like historian but, as a founder on PipexSupport.com, I used to meet regularly with Pipex directors and tended to know a lot of the politics.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I didn't think talktalk and car phone warehouse were connected anymore.  I thought I'd seen something quite a while ago about them splitting.
Phil
Community Veteran

Very hard to keep up with who owns what these days as mergers and takeovers happen on a regular basis and the Brand name is retained.
Lets hope we don't come on line one day to discover that PN have been sold to TT.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Lets hope we don't come on line one day to discover that PN have been sold to TT.
No chance of that happening...Not since they are owned by BT.
Community Veteran

But BT is a private company, no reason why some other company copuld not buy it and then start to split it up.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they split in march 2010
1999 January Acquisition of Tandy (UK only) for £9m[12]
2001 June Acquisition of Cellcom for £9.1m[13]
2002 Acquired Opal Telecom
2003 TalkTalk brand launched
2004 November TalkTalk Broadband launched
2005 March Acquisition of OneStopPhoneShop for £15m[15]
December Acquisition of Tele2 for £11.5m[15]
Acquisition of One.Tel for £169.6m[15]
2006 April "Free" TalkTalk broadband offer launched[16]
October Acquisition of the access business of AOL UK for £370m[17]
2007    July Carphone Warehouse offers free laptop with AOL Broadband (counter-offer of PC World's free laptop with Orange Broadband deal).
2008 May Carphone announces £1.1bn takeover by Best Buy
2010 March Carphone and TalkTalk split to create two separate publicly listed companies
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A brief update on the outcome of all the efforts put in by Alex, Oldjim and all the other forum lurkers  Wink
my speed at 4.54 Mbps is most satisfactory when you realise I started off lucky to get 1 Mdps  Cheesy
Would all the posters who knock Plusnet or try to use the forum to "name and shame" please note the co-operative way which this was achieved not least by the Plusnet staff.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra