cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking of telephone scams...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Talking of telephone scams...

I came across another VERY CLEVER one recently.

I stumbled on it purely by accident while looking for second hand parts for the renault. A website came up which claimed to have the parts I wanted and was based right in my town (so obviously using geoIP location stuff to entice business). Ok, thats worth a shot I thought.. but then something hit me - it showed photos of this scrapyard with shelves of cars. There is only one large scrapyard in my area and it does not have this.

Anyhow, I called the mobile number and after listening to a rather long message which repeatedly comprised of "please remember to tell us which scrap yard you want to be connected to" and then after two minutes claiming to be connecting me through - without even asking me . So at that point I realised something dodgy was going on.

Can't be premium rate because it's a mobile - 07....0. Hang on... 070? So I looked that up... Guess what? - 49p per min and Ofcom don't see it as a problem that it is confused with mobiles (they even acknowledge that it's been abused in the past). Now apparently you're not allowed to make money from 070 numbers - an ofcom rule - only the supplier of the number can.. but there is not a shortage of suppliers offering to split the proceeds with you when i looked.

So be careful of 070 numbers - it cost me four quid!

The site is owned by the company that also operates uk autospares... don't ask me how I got to the bottom of it - it's long and complex but I have solid evidence of it and they couldn't get off the phone quick enough when I asked for my call charges to be refunded.

To recap:

They use geocraphical info to claim they're in your town and entice you to call, the number looks like a mobile to the uninformed they're actually based up in yorkshire if memory serves. If you get a defective part, you're potentially stuffed as this company have already been deceptive.

It's very clever and Ofcom and PhonePayPlus don't want to know about it. It is in effect an approved scam and licence to print money.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Talking of telephone scams...

Surely, if it was a "genuine" scrapyard company, they would be using a 01, 02, 03, or 0800 type number?

Seeing that number, it "does" look like a "mobile" number... and that, immediately would raise my suspicion...

Why would a "reputable" company, be using a "mobile" number for the whole world to ring up on.... ?

surely they would want to deal with more than one customer at a time... and therefore would require a "switchboard" type of operation.. ( OK.. may be an old fashioned word in the modern telecomms world.... but you get the gist )... to be able to answer numerous callers at the same time ? ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember when scrapyards were places you went to, some greasy guy resided in a dilapidated porta-cabin, shipping container or in the back of an old van, and was the kind of a pile of vehicles that you could pick through and find the parts you needed, and buy them for a few quid, I miss those days...

Fixes: 47

I've done online searches for car parts stocked locally before and when I see "thousands of parts stocked nationwide" I move on because chances are the part I'm after is in a warehouse 200 miles away and I want to see it before I buy.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

a pile of vehicles that you could pick through and find the parts you needed, and buy them for a few quid, I miss those days..

Back then the car I wanted always seemed to involved climbing up at least one level.

The last time I went to my "local" one you had to put a hiviz jacket and hat on before they would let you loose in the yard. I've heard now that they don't even do that. You have to tell them the part you want and someone gets it for you. Which defeats the whole idea of going to a scrapyard to look at and select parts.

If they all went that way you just as well order online and wait for the unsuitable worn out junk to arrive.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

My local yard (which obviously didn't match the photo on car breaker) is still like that - a big muddy site with cars stacked up one level. They do now make you wear hi viz and despite the health and safety mob being round there trying to make the owner miserable, we're still allowed to go and prowl for bits and bobs that take our interest.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!