Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk hikes broadband and TV package prices

TORPC
Grafter

TalkTalk hikes broadband and TV package prices

Even more reason to stay loyal to Plusnet Wink
[quote= www.techienews.co.uk/978126/talktalk-hikes-broadband-tv-package-prices/]TalkTalk has announced changes in prices of its broadband and television packages for the second time in the last six months. The latest changes will be effective for new customers immediately and from May 1, 2014 for existing customers.
The company’s flagship Plus TV package will rise from £15.50 to £18.50 a month, while in return TalkTalk is to add seven popular Sky channels including Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts as standard from April 5.
TalkTalk will be contacting existing customers from 27 March, who will have a 30-day period from being told about the price rise to leave penalty-free.

I wonder what percentage will come the PlusNet way Grin
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: TalkTalk hikes broadband and TV package prices

I don`t have Sky, or Satellite T.V. .... only got Freeview..... My phone is  ( at present ) with B.T.  ( probably change to PN in November )... and my Broadband is with P.N..
The reports about companies raising prices for BB.& T.V. packages makes me wonder what percentage of the Sky/Satellite channels people actually watch that makes the payment for the T.V. package part, worth the money...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Sounds just like sky used to be/is. Get people "trapped" and then announce "new channels" each lasting about 5 min, and a price rise. How well I remember it from the analogue days. No way would I give them money for any subs again, they used to block my card regularly insisting "You are a pub/club" well of course I am, a 2 bed terrace house in the middle of an estate. The money I wasted phoning them to get it switched on again, eventually I moved to ON Digital (remember them) and now freeveiw (PVR) with a freesat backup.
My ex neighbour was with them, he dropped the sub but "couldn't live without xyz channel" and went back.  Crazy
nadger
Rising Star

I used to be anti Sky but have to admit that, already having a Roku, I do use NOWTV - mainly £4.99/month entertainment package.
As it's not a contract I'm not committed to regular monthly payments.
Apart from that it's Freesat HD.
Community Veteran

I have a NowTV box, but only use it for the TuneIn Radio app  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

A Free =====> Plex-Media ========> Modify ========> The White NowTV Roxu unit ========> many more choices ======> entertainment ========> more suited to you for the pricely sum of £9.99 last checked January(ish)
I listen to Real Radio on the TuneIn Radio as none of the TVFreeview / i-can Freeview will pick it up
The free film Channels like Bring the Popcorn / Yify TV / saves a fortune on (Hiring DVD(s) from the likes of BB et al) & from subscriptions like (NowTV / Netflix et all) & ISP's YouView (sorry Plusnet)
Community Veteran

Tried Plex but didn't like it for my media setup. I run a pi with xbmc on it (openelec.tv) and use the library for the movies but files for my large tv selection that is already in the folders I want them in.
TORPC
Grafter

Are you using the pi on the NowTV box or as a separate entity ?Huh
Community Veteran

Separate, the pi runs on my main TV the Now box is connected to my bedroom "hifi". I use an old xbox one dvd remote on the pi via its own controller. Just love to recycle stuff like that. Esp. as my xbox one used to run xbmc several years ago  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Us recyclers have also been accused of being hoarders  Lips are sealed
Sounds quote a setup you have there HMcB
Community Veteran

Well things like original xbox's and their controllers are worthless now, I had a new dvd remote with sensor I picked up years ago at a boot sale so though why not. Quick google and I found a howto on wiring the sensor to a usb cable, just plugs in to the pi which hides behind the TV. Otherwise I was looking at a new wireless or ir remote for it @~£15 this was cheaper and easy to do.
I have an xbox 360 dvd remote as well but it needs an ir rx for it, not got round to wiring up one yet, currently working on boxing my pi internet radio unit.
Steve
Pro

No comment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never bothered with Sky tv or anything else offering films via direct debit system.
Last week end watched captain Philips DVD...... Cost £2 and that's hired from the local library for a period of 7 days, in contrast to the local newsagents who charges £3.50 with the DVD to be returned in 24hours.
Certainly works out a lot cheaper for me as I only watch some of the major films or series such as game of thrones, so consider using your local Library if you just want to see the odd DVD.
nadger
Rising Star

Series 4 of Game of Thrones starts next month on NOWTV  Smiley
First 3 series currently on demand.
As I no longer pay £12/month for TV licence I spend it on Netflix & NOWTV
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was ripped off once by Talk Talk (a cheque rebate scheme) about 10 years ago. It seems the leopard hasn't changed its spots.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.