cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk also scrapping separate line rental charges...how long until Plusnet follow?

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TalkTalk also scrapping separate line rental charges...how long until Plusnet follow?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/03/talktalk-post-hack-reboot/

Following Vodafone with "all-in" packages.

Also interesting bits about allowing loyal customers (>3 months! Huh) able to freely change packages "The idea being that longtime subscribers are often irritated by the promotions and cut-price deals offered to new customers".

Also...

• "TalkTalk has long been known as a cheap alternative to BT, Sky and Virgin Media."
  • "TalkTalk's reputation as a low-cost provider is also under threat from brands such as Vodafone, Plusnet and Relish"

...so Plusnet's market positioning is pretty low - I've never even heard of Relish!

12 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: TalkTalk also scrapping separate line rental charges...how long until Plusnet follow?

From 31st October ALL !!  ISP,s including PN are required to offer clearer advertising of their service prices by including the cost of line rental into their total monthly fee.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/05/advert-watchdog-forces-uk-isps-include-line-rental-broa...

So you wont have to wait long before PN starts new advertising , As for loyal customers PN is in the dark as to weather  they actually exist .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: TalkTalk also scrapping separate line rental charges...how long until Plusnet follow?

Which leaves the unanswered question - what if they don't force you to have their line rental

toggie101
Rising Star

@rongtw That's interesting - thank you.

But it appears that it's not obligatory...

Furthermore the ASA have clarified to ISPreview.co.uk that their new price consolidation rules are only being recommended for ISPs that offer line rental and broadband bundles, but the rule for ISPs that don’t force bundles is still a bit confusing.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I presume we will have to wait untill 31st and see what offers will appear .
some will have to go Phone line only , and some Broadband only .  sort of a mix and match with different phone/ISP
Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

ISP,s including PN are required to offer clearer advertising of their services

But will all the details of each service be on one page?

Or will things continue with "It's all there on the blah blah page" (you just have to find the page)

And the universal cop out of "It's the same as other ISP's do"

Personally I don't think things will really change for the better to benifit the consumer. They will just be mixed up/hidden/altered and generally spin doctored in different ways.

So plusnet come 31st October what's it to be? Trick or Treat.

Community Veteran

The TalkTalk action is just marketing window dressing, a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They need to sort out their attitude to their customers in respect of customer services.  

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

The Talk Talk TV Advert is misleading as they DON'T say the Phone line is added to the BB bill Roll eyes

But will be interesting to see the new Spoon whittler advert , after the 31st

Minivanman
Hero

Well something needs to be done and although this company are doing it primarily for themselves "To aid its recovery" at least it's a move in the right direction. As for plusnet, I've had six months of arguing this very point about pricing insisting as they did that line rental had nothing to do with broadband charge - which clearly it did.

Let's not convince ourselves they are doing this with customers in mind in pursuit of fairness, it's all about profit as it always is, and crocodile smiles as they take our money.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Talk Talk are a terrible company also, they couldnt get customers to stay even if they gave it all away.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

TalkTalk renames Simply Broadband to Fast Broadband as line rental changes take effect   , how long before PN renames ?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7522-talktalk-renames-simply-broadband-to-fast-broadband-as-line-...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Those companies that wait until the deadline date of 31 Oct 2016 to change their advertising just bare that in mind. they probably spending the time trying to confuse customers even more and trying to work round the ASA rules instead of just displaying all true costs. Every company should have to display a simple box that shows what the deal includes, the contract period and total cost for that period you will have to pay once you sign this contract (inclusive of all costs that are mandatory) this simplifies trying to work out the best deal - just search for what you need then compare costs against customer service etc.

Minivanman
Hero

And of course there are those television adverts where they just rattle off exclusions, or show an all to brief (and to me blurred) footnote at the bottom. 

They must think we are pigging stupid. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.