Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TalkTalk ad campaign for 'UK's safest broadband' banned by ASA

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Guardian"]
TalkTalk ad campaign for 'UK's safest broadband' banned by ASA
Advertising watchdog says campaign for TalkTalk's HomeSafe internet security system was misleading
TalkTalk has been told it cannot claim that its new internet security system HomeSafe is the "UK's safest broadband", after rival BT won a ruling from the advertising watchdog determining that it offers only "basic security".
The internet service provider has been heavily promoting the online security service, which aims to block children from accessing adult content, in its TV advertising and marketing since launching HomeSafe in May.

BT lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority about a TV, poster and national press campaign that claimed that TalkTalk's customers have "the UK's safest broadband" thanks to the HomeSafe service.
The rival ISP and two members of the public challenged whether the claim was misleading and in breach of the advertising code.
TalkTalk argued that the claim was legitimate as it is the only home broadband provider in the UK to apply security features at a "network level" – which provides alerts to sites with potential viruses and allows parents to restrict access to certain websites – as opposed to making software available that has to be downloaded to each individual computer or internet-enabled device.
Read More Here

Shocking truth is out for all to see.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: TalkTalk ad campaign for 'UK's safest broadband' banned by ASA

Doubt this is the first time they have mislead customers, friend of ours switched her phone to TT as calls were free after 6pm.
One week later  it was changed to 7pm. Clearly they must have known about the change but did not make her aware of it & only found out after getting charged for a number of calls which she was lead to believe were free.
Community Veteran

You mean they're still in business?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
christmas
Grafter

Isn't it quite often the norm that communications companies have the inability to communicate?
Having in recent days been to many of these companies websites it can be a daunting task to discover what they are truly offering and the financial consequences of 'purchasing' their product.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Christmas I didn't try I used the consumers association (which magazine) Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
christmas
Grafter

Hello Peter,
We also used Which last time to select a provider....even when you've chosen a provider they seem to delight in changing the name for the same or very similar products on offer to new customers....
The latest whizz seems to be the 12 or 18 month* contracts, where there's an asterisk....but finding what that asterisk means can sometimes be elusive.
One provider I contacted gushed about what I would get the information was at their fingertips and they continued to gush forth despite me asking what the cancellation fees were....eventually they heard my question and had to go and check before being able to give the cost of cancellation.
I know think of comms companies as Estate Agents.  Grin

Community Veteran

And when they use an asterisk they should use the same size of print at the bottom of the page rather than print that requires a magnifying glass.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Community Veteran

Quote from: christmas
Isn't it quite often the norm that communications companies have the inability to communicate?

I think BT set the trend there many years ago with "It's good to talk" when they proved just how useless they themselves were at doing just that with their customers. The newer companies just seem to have followed suit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!