Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk - deliberately cheating their customers

BRABUS
Grafter

Talk Talk - deliberately cheating their customers

Well I am so glad I am with PN.  
My wifes grandad is in his 80's and is really good with computers but has been having speed issues.  He has just swapped over to Talk Talk.
I did the usual tests and he was getting 0.4mb.  I checked with BT and they say he should get 6mb.  When he was with SKY until he changed to Talk Talk a month or so ago he was constantly getting 6 - 7 mb.
Yesterday I rang Talk Talk about this and they did the usual stuff and made us run their speed tests every 3 hours for 24 hours.  Usual stalling tactics by many ISPs  Angry    I have just rung back tonight and went through all the usual rubbish with their level 1 technical support.  Being in the trade for over 20 years now I wasn't traking and rubbish from the.  I think what I was telling the support chap was way beyond him.  He passed me to the level 2 who was condescending to say the least,  He made me do the same tests again and started to tell me there was nothing they could do.  I asked him how qualified he was and then I out trumoed him with my qualifications.  I then asked him to do some tests at his end and I would wait while he did.  Funnily enough he came back and said that he has adjusted the speed available to her grandad and it should now be better.
Sure enough at the start of the call we were getting 0.4mb and when he changed the settings we were getting 6.9mb.  I asked him was the account set at 0.4mb when he checked and he confirmed that the account had been created with this as its allowed speed.

What a complete con.  If I hadn't pushed them then he would still be getting this rubbish speed when he is paying for up to 8mb.

I certainly won't be recommeding them to anyone.  This is just bordering (in my opinion) on criminal.  Taking peoples money for one level of service and deliberately preventing them from getting it.
My advice - STAY WELL CLEAR
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Talk Talk - deliberately cheating their customers

Oh dear yes.
Unfortunately, a friend of mine has ordered their phone and broadband from TT, and they have asked me if I will go to install and set-up the system.
What a dilemma, do I explain they may not have made a good choice - or do I do my best, set it up and as long as they get a decent speed just not say anything.
BRABUS
Grafter

its your call.  Personally I will tell anyone I know not to use them.  How ethical is a company to knowingly set your speed at 0.4mb when they say up to 8mb.  A few seconds of fiddlinbg and they change it to 6.9mb (latest speed test at peak time).
If you arent around to help them with issues will they get the same level of servce we do from PN?Huh
Community Veteran

I'll put this url into their browser favourites and ask to to report speeds for a while.
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
Steve
Pro

That is taking the mick,if i ever catch my isp doing that me and im sure others would jump ship immediately,i was with tiscali for a whole year and my speeds were 1mpbs at all times,having moved to plusnet i now see speeds of 6.5mpbs,much better and i knew my line was more than capable of them speeds,cowboys and now talk talk look to be cowboys aswell,my advice to anyone would be stay well away and dont give them one penny of your hard earned cash
Community Veteran

Indeed - it is a shame to see Carohone Warehouse going downhill, as for many years - probably since 1995 I had my mobile phone contract from them - including the first mass market Nokia 2110.
In those days, I had no problem with CPW, and when I bought my own cellphone from CPW on the Voda network I had first class service.
Carphone Warehouse set up TalkTalk
BRABUS
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z

I'll put this url into their browser favourites and ask to to report speeds for a while.
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

@mal0z - use this speed checker for TalkTalk customers.  http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/53/124/ ; Once they have run the test there is an option for them to enter their phone number.  Talktalk keep a log of these so they will know they are being watched by a customer and hopefully they will keep them at a decent speed.
Its a shame you have to go to these lengths  Undecided
Community Veteran

Thanks - I 'll pass that on.
Interestingly I tried it from here - on a PN circuit and it said I had 7.5M download. I've never been given that figure before - normally about 6.5 to 7M
So I wonder if it is possible to tweak / fiddle that meter ?.
Steve
Pro

Well here is my results from there speed test,not sure if them results should be better as they have llu on my exchange?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My testing on Talk Talk, compares well with the other two I use, but as usual BT speed tester "best effort" is over 100k slower....

Talk talk  1455
speedtest.net 1455
mybroadband 1462
bt speed test 1387

I normally get between 1250 and 1400 ish
Community Veteran

Why so low Shutter - I thought you lived in Pompey town - how far are you from the exchange ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I live about 3 km from the exchange in Waterlooville...(about 12 miles north of Pompey)  (rubbish footy team as well.... ha ha ha ) .. so have a 63.5db download attenuation ....
quite happy with it, so long as it stays stable, as I don`t do gaming, or anything like that....
BRABUS
Grafter

Some wildly different results  Shocked
Speedtest.net 4020kbps
broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk 2584kbps
mybroadbandspeed.co.uk 4875kbps
talktalkmembers.com/content/view/53/124/  1670kbps
N/A

Unfortunately, a friend of mine has ordered their phone and broadband from TT,

Me too mal only she has had the service for about 2-3 years. When she has had problems it has been a thorough pain in the neck. Have lost count of the hours spent trying to sort them out.
You can't get through on the telephone very quickly and you're passed from pillar to post - nobody will take ownership of the fault.
I finally opted out (we're still friends though). It is too frustrating and life's too short for all the hassle.
My friend chose TT because it was the cheapest option - don't know if your friends did the same.
In any event it is, after all, their responsibility. Steer clear is my advice, unless you are happy to be left hanging on the telephone (in the event that problems arise).
Community Veteran

Thanks Poppy -
I don't know why they selected TT, but clearly their advertising is on a bigger scale that PN - that are a larger company with a bigger advertising budget.
But hopefully one day PN's advertising will reach our area, at the moment I think it is focussed on London - on the London Underground and in the NW England on bill boards ?.