cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk - Have you read the letter?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Talk Talk - Have you read the letter?

I have had three separate sets of Talk Talk "Reps" call on me this week, 'did I read the circular'?  had a right go at the one today,  I think it is that my local exchange is going to ADSL2 between 3 -  30th March.  Do I read it correct that ADSL2 will negate the speed benefits of LLU, and they are getting worried?
Any way thought I would test his knowledge.
A What letter.  blank look
B did he know that we had another 4 LLU operators beside Him?
C was I correct on the dates?
D my ISP is better than yours - Who said so - Me didnt you hear
E why had I had three different "Sales People" all with Talk Talk ID's this week, - You cant have
F my ISP has had a lot of people move over because you have just increased the Tiscalli monthly - no we havnt

Told him to go and find the nearest toilet and shut the door
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Talk Talk - Have you read the letter?

Now that's what I call quality! - I had one come to the house a few months ago. I told her that it was a business line at the address, and she said she couldn't touch it, so that was it. Never heard from them since!
nadger
Rising Star

When we bought this house, in 1985, there was an engraved sign on the door that said NO SALESMEN, CANVASSERS, CHARITIES OR OTHER PARASITES
We left it there but a while ago it came loose - we rapidly replaced it with firm screws.
Steve
Pro

Before moving to plusnet i was with tiscali,worst service ever BTW,i waited and waited for my contract to be up and was so glad when it did,thats when i moved here,unfortunately i missed out on free months that plusnet was offering at the time if you moved from tiscali,just missed out by a cat's whisker.

Girlfriend got stopped in the high st  from a talk talk sales guy and i told him i was with tiscali,'Never heard of them' he replied,Yeah whatever few months later tiscali and talk talk became bossum buddies.

Now talk talk has llu on my exchange and i could reach speeds of 14.5meg,should i move to them?NO,their reputation is tarnished through no fault of their own.And i would not give them a penny,no not ever.
N/A

Nadger - I've got a similar sign on the door but not quite as forward as yours - mine is more polite.
However, salesfolk  take not the slightest bit of notice and still knock although I have to confess that this is a TT-free zone so far.
nadger
Rising Star

We very rarely get people knocking although we do see people walk up our front steps, pause, and go back again.
Having, in a former life, been a salesman I should feel sorry for people who are cold calling but........... Crazy
One of the best ways of dealing with salespersons is to always answer a question with a question - screws up their script completely  Smiley
Addnan
Grafter

TalkTalk is really annoying. Just before I chose a different ISP, I was shopping around to see whats available. I put my telephone number into the TalkTalk site and since then they keep calling me.
When you check broadband availability you are opting to be called by TalkTalk on the number above to discuss your broadband requirements.

I didn't read that before I checked. They keep saying how great they are and how they can put 24mbs on my line. I have attenuation of 28db, I told them that and they insisted it is possible. 
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Talk Talk are desperate to find someone to talk to. They are even  offering to ring up elderly existing customers for a chat.
I heard on the radio that a password will be agreed in advance to avoid imposters pretending to be Talk Talk. Sales talk will not be permitted (like the banks that invite you in for a chat not to sell you anything?  Huh) and the customer will not be asked about personal information. How desperate would one have to be to seek a 5 minute chat each week from an anonymous caller. Surely something better than that can be organised by Age Concern Help The Aged for example.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Broadband-Company-TalkTalk-Launches-Service-Where-Staff-Ca...
David_W
Rising Star

For a week I tried out being a seller of gas and electricity in London, so I shall tell you the training methods!
Firstly, at least with the gas/electricity, you start off as a normal "worker" drone with a boss above you, your "mentor" as it were, eventually you get to become a mentor and have people work under you so your boss earns from your sales and you earn from your drones sales etc. so there is a huge impetus to sell the product and for your drones to sell the product, I can't remember the exact figure but I believe it was something like £80 per person signed up.
On the first day you and all the other drones are in a room with your mentor who teaches you the script, the first thing they teach you "put your ID badge on the wrong way around" so the chat starts off with "hi, I'm [name] from [company] (turn badge around to show them ID) and we're just in the area today to check if you're on the lower prices for gas and electricity", then you go through a script designed to give back yes answers "would you like to pay less for your energy bills" etc.
They also teach you body language to use when giving the speech, so the mentor bloke would give the speech without words, just using the body language.  The next day we were out selling people energy, and it made me feel bad, especially with one woman who didn't look like she had a clue what the heck was happening signing up to switch providers.  One thing we were not allowed to do was to sell to older people, too many complaints from their children, so we'd start off with "you don't want to change suppliers for gas and electricity do you?" whilst shaking our heads, makes them always say "no".  I lasted about 4 days, it was hell on earth but I did learn stuff.
You (as a seller) are not allowed to lie about your product when you're selling it.  If your gas/electricity is not the cheapest, you're not allowed to say it's the cheapest, if a seller does lie to a person about the product, you are allowed to complain to the regulator who can revoke their licence to trade (when I was working, they revoked one companies licence to sell door to door).  So if the ISP seller says "we're rated number 1" or "we're the cheapest" and you *know* they are wrong, you can point that out to the person on the door and make a point about complaining to the regulator for misrepresentation.
One thing I did hear of a few years ago, when a person knocks on your door, you are allowed to charge them for your time.  So I've always considered putting up a sign "if you knock on my door trying to sell gas, electricity, telephone or internet, there will be a £5 fee for answering the door with a £5 per minute fee payable for my time".  I'm pretty sure with that sign I'd never get a cold caller again Tongue
Recently we had another gas/electricity company knocking on our door, when we told them who we're with (EDF) he made a song and dance about our money going to a French company (border line racist if you ask me) I didn't have the heart to tell him his company was formed in a split of a company which turned into his company and EDF, with his company being owned by Americans.......