Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talent Crunch

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Talent Crunch

Quote from: Strat
I felt it time someone spoke up in defence of these two broadcasters......
...but I couldn't find anyone to do it so nuke the pair of 'em Cool

Someone has spoken out in defence: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7699623.stm
That only someone like that defends them says it all really!
I liked this:
But X Factor judge and music manager Louis Walsh said the presenters needed to be punished.
"I'm glad they've been put in their place," he said. "It's about time. Jonathan Ross does and says what he wants and gets away with it."
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

Personally, I think what they said was inappropriate, but not worth losing their jobs over.
I've heard a lot worse from the likes of Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle on prime time TV and this furore hasn't happened. Seems like a bit of a media over-reaction to me.
But then I do watch those types of shows so maybe my perspective is a little skewed. Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

I'm definitely over 30, but I do (sometimes) find both Ross and Brand funny, although Brand did not endear himself to me, after reading his "Booky Wooky". Everybody makes mistakes and ought to be allowed to at least learn from them. Sacking everybody who makes a mistake removes the learning process, replacing it it with a dreadful culture of fear and blame and lack of experience.
I hope both will move on from this and learn. Clipping their wings a bit wouldn't do much harm in my opinion, but sacking them is also a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. They can be entertaining and how would the BBC fill all its airtime if Ross does go? More repeats?  Tongue
Highlighted
Grafter

well Brand wasnt sacked he resigned.  His last apology was at least an apology, the first "Utube" type was just as bad as what he said on the program, absolutely no respect.
Highlighted
Grafter

The way I see it, the grandaughter was fair game if you believe what you read BUT because she was associated with a distinguished actor (Andrew Sachs) they should have left well alone.

Highlighted
Grafter

Youu could have seen a live interview with her on one of the New's progs,  She a good as said "it might be true, but thats betwween Russel and Me, no need to tell  my Grandad"
Highlighted
Rising Star

I wonder how many had actually heard of either her  or The Satanic Sluts prior to all this - on the premise that there's no such thing as bad publicity my cynical mind thinks she won't lose out financially.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

Quote from: Mand
I've heard a lot worse from the likes of Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle on prime time TV and this furore hasn't happened. Seems like a bit of a media over-reaction to me.

Of course, in terms of the language used, far worse things can be found on radio and TV any day of the week.
The point is, this was an offensive phone call to a real person. That's not clever, funny, or in any way 'creative'. To compound this by actually broadcasting it is totally unacceptable.
Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Ross suspended for 12 weeks without pay
Yay again.
Highlighted
Grafter

I think this has only become the controversy it has because a highly respected (and rightly so) actor is involved, if it had been anyone else noone would have batted an eyelid
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That is a very strong argument for standards being tightened!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

What annoys me (far, far) more than the actual incident (which wasn't that much), is that it's been headline news in the UK for what, 3-4 days?
I remember as a student, when Deidere from Corrie got put inside and the papers were holding petitions to release her (err, that's for a fictional soap character right?).
How times have not changed.
The British Public never cease to amaze me Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Grafter

Yes indeed we have our priorities all wrong but I blame Murdoch's media empire for that as they will whip up a frenzy about inane rubbish to sell papers because nost people in the UK are celebrity obsessed and hooked on soaps, news stories break and reel in more people and so the circle continues

I don't think Woss will be joining the dole queue anytime soon though
Highlighted
Grafter

The reason it has been in the papers so much is that the BBC management has been so totally ineffectual. Both culprits and the programme producers should have been put on suspension (with pay), pending a disciplinary hearing, when any punishments would have been meted out. Only belatedly, has the Director General stepped in (OK, he was on holiday, but where was his deputy?) and "managed" the situation.
In this dog-eat-dog world, the BBC management fell victim to its own journalists too, for being correctly criticised for the lack of decisive action. Now, there is a very rare event, me supporting journalists!  Lips_are_sealed
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Watched Sky News this evening for a while in the pub  Grin
They just seemed to gloat all over this story  Angry
But I just don't see how BBC can justify Ross's annual contract of £18m - no presenter is worth that money.