Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talent Crunch

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Talent Crunch

If a large allegedly public service broadcaster continues to pay millions to vacuous oafs, is it inevitable that it will all end in tears when it turns out there was never any talent there?
Not young enough to know everything
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Talent Crunch

If you mean what (who) I think you mean, anybody over the age of 30ish would probably agree they should be taken out and shot (or worse) those below that age it seems see nothing wrong and contend the perpetrators are being unjustifiably pilloried, since most of their audience falls into the latter category it seems I think the older generation might be backing a loser here, especially since most of them probably never heard the broadcast because they don't like them, and got their information and sense of outrage from the media, their target audience didn't bat an eyelid. It must be admitted it passed unnoticed for nearly two weeks until publicized.
Otherwise I'm on the side of the shooting party.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Fair comment Petlew.
I've never had a lot of time for Ross, and none at all for Brand. However, I don't believe everything that appears in the press, so I downloaded the podcast of the programme in question. I've never heard 60 minutes of such inane twaddle.
If the majority of those below 30 see no problem, the generation gap must be even wider than I thought.
Still, it was interesting to note that, at least up until two or three days ago, a third of the reaction from Radio 1 listeners was 'anti'.
BTW, I heard at lunchtime that R & B had been suspended (the presenters, not the music genre  Wink )
Community Veteran

well if someone did a similar thing in many companies they would be instantly sacked for gross negligence.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Absolutely, Mal. Since the programme was pre-recorded, or at least the contentious content, and was passed by senior people as OK to broadcast, then senior heads at the Beeb should roll.
techguy
Grafter

I'm under 30 and I agree that anyone involved in these 'talent' shows should be taken and shot
nadger
Rising Star

I see the girl concerned ( Voluptua of the Satanic Sluts) doesn't deny the sex part but what a way for her grandpa to find out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, Sacs is an inoffensive honorable man. He's definitely the one I feel sorry for. Voluptura, Ross and Brand can go take a hike as far as I'm concerned, both the "men" for want of a better term, can sit at home counting their millions.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I have never liked Ross or Brand, I think Ross is a big headed twat and Brand is completely obnoxious, what a creep.
I avoid their programmes.
I would terminate their contracts immediately along with the management people who approved this item.
I understand the police are also showing some interest. These type of phone calls are against the law and they could be procecuted.
Personally I hope they are.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

News flash from the BBC news website:
Russell Brand is to resign from Radio 2. More details soon.

Yay!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Yes I do feel sorry for Andrew Sachs amd while I'd expect the behaviour from that dipstick Brand I'd have thought Jonathon Ross would have known better.
techguy
Grafter

Good news indeed, lets hope we never see him anywhere ever again
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, while I've only heard bits when it came onto the news.
In my opinion, it was inappropriate and it shouldn't have been broadcast.
However I do feel it has been somewhat blown out of proportion in this country, as if it is some national scandal. In the grand scheme of things, the importance of this is pretty minimal. Give it a few days, the tabloids will find something else to go on about and it'll probably be subsequentially forgotten.
To me, the irony is she admitted she had slept with him, so what they said wasn't exactly a pack of lies.
I guess the problem at the moment is, Big Brother has finished showing for now (thank god), so The Sun can't find a 'scandal' about it.
Community Veteran

Russell Brand has resigned from his Radio 2 programme following prank calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698417.stm
That puts Ross in a tricky position !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I suspect that's more a case of being "asked to leave" Tongue