Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a dive.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Taking a dive.

Well that's it folks they are taking a dive, and I never thought I'd see the day when those internal combustion engines would become history.

Under the PM's 'green plan' there will be no more new ones allowed apart from some Hybrids after 2030. Will there be grants for home charging points or those fed by our own solar panels I wonder. Not practical for everbody, but I can see the time when instead of a spare can of petrol in the boot there will be a spare battery with enough charge to get you to, well the nearest charging point. 

And how are we going to respond when visitors turn up and want to plug into your mains socket? 

Capture.JPG

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
23 REPLIES 23
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

Re: Taking a dive.

I was thinking this morning where are all the charging points going to be. I have a drive and can fit one in my garage but what about those who live in rows upon rows of terraced houses? I can hardly see local authorities allowing charging cables been laid across the footpaths. Many can't even park outside their own homes, even if having one fitted was practical. I suppose by 2030 the battery capacity will have increased and total miles you can drive will improve but I wouldn't relish driving 600 miles and having to stop a couple of times to recharge.

Or am I missing something?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mayfly 

Well I suppose in much the saame way as we can't expect to have a petrol pump right outside of our house or at the end of the street, we'll have make sure we have enough juice in the car to get the the nearest charge point and if not, then just run an extension cable out of the window - now you can't do that with a fuel line! 

Maybe there will be an app that allows you to check the charge in your car via your mobile or home computer?

'Ping' 

"This is just your car letting you know that if you do decide to go and visit your mum....." 😆    

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

Yeah but filling a car takes what 10 minutes max. I can't see charging a car will be as quick and I bet your bottom dollar when you go back to pick it up some git has disconnected you and plugged theres in 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah now that's true @Mayfly  🙂

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The future may well be electric cars but far too many issues need to be sorted before banning all new car sales from 2030 that use petrol or diesel.

We may even see a increase in the value of second hand petrol or diesel cars as 2030 approaches....

Knowing the government that date will change as more problems are identified with electric cars.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

If by that you mean motor manufacturers then I would suggest those issuess are already being sorted out and if not, well they've had more than enough time - and it's not exactly Brexit is it! 😋

Are there any major motor makers that do not alrady have at least one electric vehicle in production? I don't think so. 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Mayfly wrote:

I was thinking this morning where are all the charging points going to be. I have a drive and can fit one in my garage but what about those who live in rows upon rows of terraced houses?dn't relish driving 600 miles and having to stop a couple of times to recharge.

Or am I missing something?

Maybe we'll end up like the Japanese / Philippines. No parking space, no car. Of course if you have an integrated transport systems why would one even bother with a car? I can recall when I lived in Richmond, there were terrace upon terrace of 2 bed houses with very restricted permit only parking around - which itself cost a fair wad. Then the houses cost about £225K.....now (and some are priced way above that)! Lack of parking doesn't seem to bother some.

And that is the key, if you have easy access to a good public transport system, one can manage quite easily without. I did, train and bus for quite a few years but then I moved rural. Maybe its the beginning of the new social distancing rules! Keep you at home.

I think if I had a trip of 600 miles though there are far easier ways of doing it. I've even gone to London by train (180 miles) and hired a car while down there. Its a a very relaxing way to travel (2 hours) and nice to let someone else do the main event driving. Its even better when the train goes alongside the motorway and leaves the cars behind.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

then just run an extension cable out of the window - now you can't do that with a fuel line! 

Though of course if you were that way inclined you could have your petrol can indoors and run a plastic tube out of the window.

Yes that would be strange as normally you just pour the petrol in from the can and the jobs done in seconds.

All gone after just nine more years? I think the demand for petrol/diesel will rise as it becomes obvious what a lash up it will be in going electric for many. And I doubt the price is going to go anywhere except up for them.

I wonder exactly how much electric cabling will need to be "upgraded"? Will it really just be some sort of "special" lead from your fuse box? I'm just remembering back a few years when all my lights went out. After waving a detector thingy around a bit, a hole was dug in a path where due to some weakness the mains supply cable had burnt through and separated. Could we end up with a lot of people driving their new electric car home, plugging it in and then all the lights going out. Or will that be a countrywide thing.😀

billnotben
Community Veteran

I wish they would change this damn editing time limit. I'm getting fed up seeing the inane "oops" message.

Was it really so bad when you had no limit? After all it was pretty obvious when someone, on a very rare occasion, did edit for malicious purposes,

TTman
Seasoned Champion

I think as they are only banning new petrol and diesel cars that there will be a glut of second hand models and a lot of people will be buying them at probably premium prices Crazy2

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 187

Are there any major motor makers that do not already have at least one electric vehicle in production? I don't think so.

Ford appear to only have ONE , the Mustang Mach - E https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/hybrid-electric/all-electric?searchid=ppc:Search_GB(eng)%7C%5BA...

available for pre-order for Spring 2021 delivery , maybe!

and it starts at £40k!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

The Ford Kia e-Niro?

Most are certainly expensive though, but then the first of anything usual is. Remember the price of Colour Televsions and Video recorders? Even the Ford Model T was expensive at first.

But there you go, we can wait.... ten years. 😊

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

"I think as they are only banning new petrol and diesel cars that there will be a glut of second hand models and a lot of people will be buying them at probably premium prices... "

I was reading somewhere where it was asked how can they stop people buying new petrol and diesel cars, and I'm thinking well if they ain't making 'em.... 

It's going to be like Cuba in a few years time when their roads were full of 1960's American cars because of that trade embargo. Maybe my ten year old Ford Fiesta will become a collecters item a lot earlier than expected! 

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm thinking well if they ain't making 'em.... 

I expect plenty of countries will still be making them. Could be the start of a new lucrative import market.