Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Takeaway Plastics Tax

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Takeaway Plastics Tax

Takeaway boxes, straws and coffee cups face being ‘taxed’ in a similar way to plastic bags after the government pledged to take the lead in cleaning up the world’s oceans.

Next week’s Budget will announce moves to slash production of single-use plastics such as food packaging, bubble wrap, polystyrene takeaway boxes, drinking straws and throwaway cutlery.

https://news.sky.com/story/chancellor-to-announce-plans-in-budget-for-tax-on-single-use-plastic-1113...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/18/uk-considers-tax-on-single-use-plastics-to-tackl...

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Takeaway Plastics Tax

Bubble wrap is not single use. Pop, Pop, Pop.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was pondering this while sat on the ol' "Thinking Seat", and it got me wondering, if plastics are the next diesel attack, will they be putting a tax on uPVC doors and windows too? Funny

Community Veteran

Typical government - introduce a new tax on something (usually after they get re-elected, otherwise it might affect votes before the general election).

Pretend it is to help save the planet, when really nothing will actually happen other than increasing their bank balance.

All the takeaway shops will do is put up their prices to compensate.

They'll do a cardboard box tax next, so your on-line shopping delivery prices will increase. Roll eyes  

I shouldn't really suggest daft government ideas, as I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with something even dafter and actually do it.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

We can reuse plastic bags but is it really practical to take your own tupperware container to the the local take away?

Community Veteran

The majority of my local takeaways use foil trays with card lids for contained goods, and cardboard for things like pizzas and paper for chips, the other stuff they use is foam containers for things like burgers, mystery meat nuggets and a few other things, of course, this is for takeaways, other "takeaway" items that are potentially to be taxed are them salads and things you can get from supermarkets, drinks cups with plastic lids and/or straws, and of course, plastic wrappers...

As for taxing the end-user, I think that's not a smart idea, it should be the people who make the plastic containers that are taxed, we have no choice in how we receive produce, they however have a choice in what they use to pack their goods in, it's just another example of punishing the people for something that isn't our fault...

Community Veteran

Though again, if their prices go up. Then so will the prices on their menus.

So the customer will pay more, if they’re nieve enough they will think it doesn’t affect them, whilst not noticing why their favourite food has increaed by 10p to compensade.

If will do the square root of nothing to help the planet.

When the plastic bag tax was sneakily introduced, we were told the in 1p in VAT would go to (massive inveted commas). “good causes”. Then they went silent on that one. Why am I not surpised?

If someone can find a charity which has gained from that tax, let me know. It will take a lot of searching for that answer.
Community Veteran

Watch the battle between the HM Treasury and the Health and Safety people as vendors use other than disposable materials to deliver foods. Measures such a control of plastics should not be introduced by an administrative order in a fiscal budget. It should be done by proper legislation which has been subject to debate in Parliament. This way the pros and cons can be properly debated. General policy changes introduced by the Chancellor invariably has unintended consequences.

Community Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of helping to reduce wastage - but just applying a new tax, pretending it is for that reason and ignoring the obvious government ulterior motive angers me.

With takeaways, what are you going to do - hold it in your hands (hot) whilst eating it or carrying it home? Crazy2

No it will just push the prices up for the customers and put a smile on the government.

Community Veteran

There could be another ulterior motive, to make people stop buying takeaway foods to stop us being overweight from eating highly processed mystery meat & deep-fried products...Funny

Community Veteran

No different though to buying a ready meal in a supermarket though. How do you know what is in there?

With my lack of cooking skills, what I would produce myself would probably be inferior to a Microwave meal Tongue

Community Veteran

Alex wrote:

How do you know what is in there?

After the horsemeat scandal, well, you don't, you just go on faith and trust that what they say on the box is what's in there... Grin

As for cooking stuff from scratch, I've learned how to do it with various videos on youtube, applied my own take on it, and come up with stuff that generally is quite edible, unless I overcook it and end up with something that looks like charcoal...Cheesy

Community Veteran

Yes I did manage to do that with a supermarket pizza a few weeks back, nuked it a bit too much. Had to chuck it in the bin as I think it had gone past edibale at that stage.

Still it set my smoke alarm off when I took it out so saves me testing the battery. 😄
Community Veteran

Pop round to Adair Towers. I'll teach you how to make Pizza from the base ingredients and cook them in our wood fired oven. Low cost, tasty and no throwaway plastics.