cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take one four times a day...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Take one four times a day...

Thats what my instructions are for my pills.
Now how would you interpret that?:
1) one every 6 hours on the dot
2) One every x hours that you are awake - x being the result of a division by four of your waking hours.
I repeatedly ask my doctor this every time he prescribes me something. Every single time he alternates his answers  Crazy
My partner (trainee nurse) says they never wake patients in hospitals and hand them out during waking hours.
How do you take yours?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Take one four times a day...

I take it to mean 1 every 3 hours....but I don't take pills or tablets etc.
My wife used to take a lot and that's how she did it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
<snip>

That is how I would of thought it would be
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 7up
2) One every x hours that you are awake - x being the result of a division by four of your waking hours.
I repeatedly ask my doctor this every time he prescribes me something. Every single time he alternates his answers  Crazy
My partner (trainee nurse) says they never wake patients in hospitals and hand them out during waking hours.
How do you take yours?

Many medications work best when maintained at a constant level in the body, so I am informed (by Pharmacist Wife) the best thing is to spread the daily dose over 24 hours, if you can.
Some medication (eg Blood Pressure) has stated times to be taken, such as morning or evening, when the medication works best for what it has been prescribed.
And of course, taken with or without food may be specified.

Regarding being woken up in Hospital, I have been woken up to be given important Medication whilst asleep.
And for really serious illness, you would probably be on a continuous drip feed anyway...
Community Veteran

My doctor takes the common sense approach. Spread them evenly across your waking hours.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It would depend on what they for but in the main breakfast, lunch, diner, and bedtime would work for me.
Infinity
Pro

That is OK for the majority of Medicines.
However, some have to be taken on an empty stomach.
Recently....  Hospital Consultant in conjunction with Head Pharmacist prescribed two very strong Antibiotics to kill a possible bone infection in Cat Bite Pinky, both taken 4 times a day, One to be taken two hours after a meal, and one hour before eating, otherwise its effect is diluted.
The Other, with meals.
Seems like I never stopped capsules over a fortnight !!
Approximated to EIGHT times a day...
And they were to be taken at regular intervals over a 24 hour period, if possible !
Again, to keep the level of medication constantly high in the bloodstream.
They did their job, though they both made me feel grotty, and one gave me bright Red Pee (A known and explained side effect)
Blood tests every few days to check for Liver & Kidney functions, thankfully OK

http://www.consumer-health.com/services/DontPutYourAntibioticsatRisk.php

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

That's why I said it would depend on what they are for.
My mum had to go on to antibiotics for an eye infection that actually caused a detached retina in the end, they had to be taken at special times of the day - ok so far so good.
However she she was on other medication and one couldn't be take within 2 hrs of something else, another couldn't be taken with food, another had to be taken with food. It was a nightmare trying to work it out for 89 year old with memory loss.
We ended up with alarm clocks going off at all times to remind her and colour coded pill boxes. All this with 3 different types of eye drops, one every waking hour, [worked out 15 times a day] another every 2 hours and the 3rd 4 times daily.
Infinity
Pro

Tell me about it, I feel for you and your Mum.
I set up 8 alarms on two mobiles !!
And a printed out spreadsheet to tick off when medication had been taken...
Fortunately, I am often awake at times overnight Skyping Friends, Family & Colleagues abroad.
Fixes: 121

In general I assume waking hours unless directed otherwise by the prescribing doctor or the dispensing chemist.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Unless specifically stated otherwise I'd take one when I awoke, one before bed and equi-space the other two.
Community Veteran

Just had a morning visit to my GP so I raised this issue with him.  He agrees with Nadger. Common sense is what he prescribed Wink  If there are any complicated instructions he would prepare a printout, the same for patients who may have difficulties taking their medication. If he was concerned about a patient he would make a phone call to them or get the district nurse to call in to check everything was working well.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have some tablets which say take 2 hours before food. I just ignore it and take them with the rest of my tablets, I haven't found it makes any difference.
Common sense is something that seems sadly lacking these days.
Community Veteran

I had a chat with my friendly pharmacist today. She reminded me many tablets are slow release so by taking one at bedtime  it is able to release throughout the night.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
<snip>
And of course, taken with or without food may be specified.
<snip>

What food / drink do you find is the best food to be taken with medication
What food / drink (apart from the obvious alcohol etc) do you avoid when taking medication