Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgating

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Tailgating

So, what is the correct way to deal with tailgaters?

In the old days easing the handbrake up slightly was highly entertaining, but these days I just keep to the speed limit (or perhaps a nudge under) and watch 'em fume.

Wrong on both counts I know but...   😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Re: Tailgating

Make one of these....  stick it in the rear window right hand lower corner....

go for a drive... and see what happens when someone comes up too close....

It`s MAGIC....

tailgate warning 02.jpg

And of course... just keep driving normally... no brake lights.. no slowing down.... just carry on at your "normal"  & legal speed....

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 31

As it's a dangerous situation I let them pass as soon as possible, pulling off the road if necessary.

One time in Ireland I did that, and passed his wrecked vehicle a few miles up the road.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

Which it the safe thing to do of course, but sometimes we don't want to concede, be bullied into moving over or into pulling off just to let them pass.

By far the most dangerous were/are those giant trucks on motorways that hate to reduce their set speed and just drive right up your **** even though you are in the right lane and going at the right speed. That one used to make me so angry, especially when I had the wife and kids on board and unable to move out of the way.  

shutter
Community Veteran

Honestly, guys.... that little notice works......

HGV``s   Buses... White van man.... BMW , Chelsea Tractors,   Mercs ,.... whatever....

they come bottling up to you at high speed, and expect you to speed up or move over.... but as soon as they see that sign.... they slow down a bit... and gradually pull back to a "proper" distance... and they stay there, until it is safe for them to overtake...

It really is MAGIC.... and fun to watch ! ! ! .... Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Yes that sign does work in most cases, made one following @shutter suggestion.
That was on my previous car....must get one done for this car.

Only time it doesn’t work is when you are in a line of motorway traffic which is down to 40 - 50 mph and you leave a reasonable gap for braking but some idiot who is constantly switching lanes goes into the gap you have left...

As for tailgaters I either go faster and get well in front of them or if that is not possible go slower so they can get past me.

True there are situations when you cannot do that, eg: Stuck in a line of fast moving traffic and knowing if you brake the car or lorry behind has no chance of stopping....that sign does work ....providing the tailgating driver can read or has eyesight good enough to see the sign......

Might try printing one of those nuclear signs, goods on board are hazardous keep a safe distance.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Back in the day I fitted reversing lights to my Morris 1000 which worked great for that problem, especially at night.

A pull of the switch and they were lit up face and all. They usually pulled well back, and stayed there, as they wondered what was going on.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

For those that have driven over there you'll know that in France they just love driving up your derrière, so I made the point once of asking a driving instructor why this was such a national obsession and true or not, but he told me they were taught to drive close like that as it's quicker and therefore safer when overtaking. 

Tip, don't get in the way of any French mamam if they are late getting their little 'enfant terribles' to school! 

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

they were taught to drive close like that as it's quicker and therefore safer when overtaking. 

I remember standard overtaking procedures years ago, drop back, 4th gear down to 3rd then take a run at passing, preferably with eyes open....

shutter
Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

take a run at passing, preferably with eyes open....

Yeah.... agree..... always a good idea   ! ! !  Cool

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Champnet Eyes open.....Where's your sense of adventure?Crazy3

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

By far the most dangerous were/are those giant trucks on motorways that hate to reduce their set speed and just drive right up your **** even though you are in the right lane and going at the right speed. .  

Agreed. The trouble is that many of them simply don't care either. Many are foreign and know they'll mostly get away with it if they cause a minor prang - just keep going and they'll be impossible to trace. Even native lorry drivers can be rotten apples at times too.

These days i just slow down a bit - easing off the accelerator for a few mph (eg 4-5) and then hang onto the leftest side of the road so they can see past me and go at the earliest opportunity but i only do this on straight stretches, not bends in case they overtake, pull in front and then slam on the brakes.

Had a motorcyclist take the mick years ago, real arrogant type that i never will forget.. a couple of miles up the road after he's got past me i saw him at the side being dealt with by the police. That was rather gratifying.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!