cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgaters and middle lane hogs beware

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tailgaters and middle lane hogs beware

New powers to on-the-spot fine drivers committing these offences. other fines for driving while using a hand held phone, jumping lights and failure to wear a seat belt to rise from £60 to £100.
Good! perhaps they could include reversing blind out of a driveway into a main road while they're at it <learn to reverse in not out>
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Tailgaters and middle lane hogs beware

Hope it'll be enforced especially driving holding phone to ear,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22770064
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's definitely about time this was enforced but I do wonder what will happen to people who are over taking a long line of lorries? - Lorries have a very long braking distance so you can't just nip in front of them like you would another car, you're going to have to leave a very long braking distance before pulling in front of them. How will the rozzers determine the correct braking distance and when you should / should not move over while the traffic is moving?
With speed cameras they came up with white marks on the road to make sure it was all legit. How are they going to monitor and correctly enforce this across three lanes of traffic while monitoring thousands of vehicles at a time?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Petlew and Nadger,  I totally agree with you but wonder how it will be enforced.
I have noticed the number of people using a phone whilst driving is on the increase and this certainly needs dealing with. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Wonderful, another crackdown.
Hope it's as effective as it has been stopping uninsured drivers.
kmilburn
Grafter

@Sprite,  there's a difference between nipping in front of them when things are slowing down and moving back into the lane in free traffic.   I've never yet seen one lorry overtake another, and then leave sufficient braking distance before moving back into lane.
Speed differential is key  (and not so easy to measure) and most people are interested in the next vehicle ahead, not the one they just passed.  
And with some it's painfully obvious they have no intention of ever using the left lane unelss absolutely necessary.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
And with some it's painfully obvious they have no intention of ever using the left lane unelss absolutely necessary.

Yes this is very true and I also see this regularly. I am unfortunately though a regular user of a motorway which carries a lot of freight traffic hence my reason for concern. While I dive in between the lorroes quite a lot, I only do so when there is a suitable braking distance for the lorry and me. My partner on the other hand doesn't worry about it and just decides there is no point if she's only got to pull out again though she will move left when she thinks she can.
I've always thought I've been a considerate motorway driver however there are some motorway cops out there who like to think you're wrong no matter what and having been tugged by one of these before I'd rather not have the hassle again to be honest!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Hope it's as effective as it has been stopping uninsured drivers.

Many uninsured motorists are caught using the ANPR cameras.  These are very effective in spotting uninsured, no road tax, no MOT drivers.  They are also very useful in catching criminals Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I drive up and down the A34 ( dual carriageway ) from WInchester to the M40 juntion at Bicester on a regular basis... OK... so it isn`t 3 lane traffic, but there are still people who insist on being in the right hand lane permanently, and not a police car in sight.. ( the only time I saw police on that road in the past year was when there was a slight accident........)   same with the law on mobile phones... not enough police to enforce the law so the number of people you see flouting it will increase as the chances of being "caught" are minimal...
shalom2010
Grafter

@shutter - Agree 100%.
The two main irritants for are:
1) Drivers who change lane rapidly without thinking at all about being able to slow down at some point, leaving only a few feet around their cars Smiley
2) Mobile phone usage - plus lots of other stuff being done whilst driving!
Community Veteran

Yeah I've seen plenty of late night drivers on the motorway hogging the right hand lane for no apparent reason. Very annoying.
Also does this mean the police will finally do something about those idiots who either don't indicate or give you just one flash and then pull in front of you? - Thats one of my pet hates on the motorways.
Community Veteran

To see driving at its worst you have to come to Saudi Arabia

>

I experience this every day and worse if I drive into Jeddah
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I think there's a great deal of difference between using correctly the middle of 3 lanes or outside of a two lane dual carriageway and "hogging" it to the detriment of safety of other road users. I can't see police pulling drivers for driving at the speed limit past a long line of slower moving traffic as long as they move to the inside lane when that lane is clear to do so. I would think it is aimed at drivers doing well below the speed limit, and I'm sure we've all encountered the "Sunday driver" doing 45mph in the middle lane and steadfastly refusing to move over when being flashed and hooted at by other drivers, these are the dangerous drivers on motorways rather than those safely doing 100mph in the outside lane.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Such is the mind set of some drivers!
Only this morning as I was walking past the newsagents, a car slowed up coming towards me and waited until I'd passed. Then, it mounted the pavement and parked half on the pavement and half on the road, immediately behind a car parked fully on the road!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

There are many who believe that the roads were built for them alone and that other drivers are, at best, an inconvenience and, at worse, a target.
Tailgating, while dangerous in itself, also has the added danger that it can actually make the driver in front nervous causing him/her to make a sudden and unexpected manoeuvre.
I, too, have noticed an increase of the number of persons using a hand-help mobile while driving. Is any call that important? If if they are, then why not get a hands-free adaptor; they're not that expensive these days?
What isn't clear from the BBC link is what happens if you believe you are being fined in error? Do you then have a right to a court hearing?
And where will there money from any fines go - more police on the beat, perhaps Tongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still