cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tail gating rules now in force

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Tail gating rules now in force

A report on BBC tells us new traffic regulations have come into force allowing the police to issue on-the-spot fines. It will only be of any use if they actually have police on the motorways enforcing this kind of thing. I had a day of driving on Wednesday and it left me wishing the police deployed Q-cars with hidden blue lights to deal with lane hoggers and tail gaters. If the fines helped pay for additional enforcement, it could easily be self funding  and would make the motorways a much safer place to be.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
40 REPLIES
x47c
Grafter

Re: Tail gating rules now in force

its dated August 2013
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I do a lot of driving on the A34 from Winchester to Bicester..... very busy, normally very fast traffic, dual carriageway, gateway to the North and M4 and M40 from Southampton.....
I have a (home made) sign in my rear window ..... yellow background,.... black bold lettering, with a pic of a speed camera .... saying

CAUTION
       DO NOT
     TAILGATE

It is quite effective.... interesting to see those who (appear) to be "fast drivers"  .... come up really fast behind you... when doing 60 to 70 mph in appropriate lanes .... get up really close, then back off quite quickly to about 2 cars distance.. It works on slower speed roads as well.... ... . I leave a good distance between me and the car in front, so it "sort of" creates an "example" to the car behind, of the space I would like them to be at... and it works!!!..
There are the occasional "idiots".... probably can`t read, or on drugs... but in general it works
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: shutter
when doing 60 to 70 mph in appropriate lanes ....

There are NO "appropriate lanes", the Highway code says RETURN to the LEFT after overtaking, meaning everyone should be in the leftmost lane according to traffic conditions, but the MLOC still exists, as does the OLOC. The number of times I have been on the inside lane with a clear view for about a mile in each direction and several cars in the other lanes not moving in.
Only place I have seen "appropriate lanes" was in Germany where there are MINIMUM speed limits on the lanes in certain areas om the autobahn.
Community Veteran

I'm sure the police will be all over this.
With the police it's all about easy targets.
Tail gating - Yes
Rotherham abusers - No
TORPC
Grafter

@billnotben
Of course
As it is always easier to target the motorist(s)
I suspect that the Rotherham abusers have their own kind in positions of power etc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter,
Is that a sign you have made and printed yourself or something you managed to purchase from a website ?
Sounds like a good idea.
Smiley
Fixes: 47

I have seen some quite explicit notices in the backs of cars designed to discourage tailgating Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

& the driver should be charged with visually displaying such explicit words, as it it just as bad, if not worse the verbally being explicit
Also so should the manufacturers of such rude stickers be charged

Most of those seen haven't used swear words but instead question the sexual preferences of the tailgating driver.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
I have seen some quite explicit notices in the backs of cars designed to discourage tailgating Lips are sealed
Might have the opposite effect, some psychopath might see it as an ideal opportunity to deliberately tailgate to wind someone up, not the sort of thing you want to happen if you have children in the car.
I have used the word psychopath but there is plenty of evidence that some people actually change personality when they get behind the wheel of a car.
This last statement is based on my own observations of driving for many years along with things I have heard from others.
I Know it was fiction but there was a good Film with Micheal Douglas regarding road rage in America where he got stuck in traffic and went into rage mode.
itsme
Grafter

Another bad habit that seem to be getting worse is jumping traffic lights.
You sitting at the lights pulled forward because you are turning right, and there may be another car behind you, and the lights turn amber and a car go through the lights when the car past you the lights are at red so you start to move but another car jump the lights so you have to brake hard. By the time this car has passed the lights are changing green for the other direction.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, some good points there. I don't understand people who use self-made signs in their cars. Does anyone drive differently when they see a 'child on board' sign or even worse 'little angel on board' Undecided If you drive responsibility the signs are irrelevant, if you don't drive responsibly the signs are of no use and will get ignored. 

It wouldn't be the first time I've put my hazards on and slowed down when being tailgated.
The tailgater passes me, I switch off my hazards and accelerate.
Everyone's happy.
Community Veteran

@Strat, that's possibly the best way of dealing with it Smiley