cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV with no aerial

anniesboy
Grafter

TV with no aerial

I have a family member who is moving into a London basement flat.
Problem is no satellite dish or external aerial is permitted by the landlord. An internal aerial might work but doubtful.
Any suggestions as to the best work around.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: TV with no aerial

Find a different flat?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

iplayer ? STB playing from the internet.
Or do you mean to rx LIVE TV?
If so then there is usually a shared TV point.
Community Veteran

Perhaps the landlord provides a communal aerial?
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

NedLudd is possibly right.  There has to be some provision for TV.  Worth checking with the landlord.
A friend lives in an apartment in Brentwood with similar restrictions  but each unit has Sky plumbed in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Some years ago I used to get quite acceptable reception with a small screwdriver stuck in the aerial connector. But I was quite high up, being a basement would no doubt rule that out and probably any sort of indoor aerial.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 124

Or maybe get together with the rest of the tenants of the building and come up with a plan to approach the landlord in respect of having a communal aerial installed if there isn't one already there.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've relied on a coathanger many times in the past. Not great but usable. With freeview all over and this 'superior' digital signal, it should surely be even better?
Quote from: artmo
There has to be some provision for TV.

Not if you're speaking legally there doesn't. I'd agree though most landlords have realised that this is a beneficial item to install.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Unfortunately.... the old wire coathanger. does not work with digital..... I`ve tried it .... !
Fixes: 124

Perhaps you need two...
One in the shape of a straight line and the other in the shape of a circle Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

anniesboy
Grafter

Thanks for suggestions,as far as I know there is no communal aerial. Other occupants use internal aerials but they are not in the basement.
I used the term landlord too loosely ,as they have bought the flat.  So I assume that the no aerial "rule" is down to other things such as conservation area.
It seems internet TV will be the way forward at least in the short term,me thinks they wont stay long.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Unfortunately.... the old wire coathanger. does not work with digital..... I`ve tried it .... !

I didn't expect that! Thats gonna be a pita for a lot of folks..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Unreasonable rules are made to be broken especially as they have bought the flat.
I suggest they put up a satellite dish. If there are any objections then they can compromise by offering to paint it green. Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Not necessary a Conservation area sometimes it's the whim of the previous owner of the land or the builders.  Near me there is a large housing area that had a ban on aerials as they were going to fed by cable. But there was a delay in providing the cable so for a few years a blind eye was turned on properties that erected aerials but as soon as the cable was available the no aerial conditions was  enforced.
But the covenant drawn up omitted satellite dishes so when satellite TV became available house owners started to use them instead. Since then some housing builds have had covenants banning aerials and dishes.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
I suggest they put up a satellite dish. If there are any objections then they can compromise by offering to paint it green. Smiley

What I have seen on buildings I assume most be listed is to use a paving slab to mount a dish on the ground.