cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV web cam for Skype

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV web cam for Skype

For a while I used one of these for Skype: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008VS899W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was used since it is quite difficult to get the disabled SWMBO to use a computer based Skype and this in practice was found to be much easier for her to speak and see our daughter in New Zealand.
However it had a serious flaw, when connected wirelessly to the router used for the home network it caused all sorts of problems, serious slow-downs, connection misses and constant router re-boots. All of these problems were cured when the TV cam was removed, the device was consigned to its box with the thought that was the last of that!!
During a recent Skype call to New Zealand SWMBO unfortunately managed to break the connection (don't ask me how) but the laptop ended up on the floor having slid off her lap, connection was re-attained but this got me thinking:
I have a spare wireless router <doesn't EVERYBODY have at least one spare router?> It occurred to me that maybe I could set up the TV cam using the spare router on its own, just for the TV cam.
Can any body see any problems with a) using two wireless routers (with different passwords) in close proximity to each other, would it b) be a problem for the 2 laptops and printer wireless on the home network to the existing router. c) The TV cam has the option to have a cable connection.to router, should I use this in preference to wireless?
Opinions please.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: TV web cam for Skype

I can think of one possible problem for myself, I would of course want to use both routers through the same broadband (Plusnet) account. Sometime maybe at the same time.
Can I actually have two routers connected to Plusnet on the same account?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Use the second router as an access point.
Disable the onboard DHCP set the router a static IP (within your network range i.e. 192.168.1.200), set a different SSID for the wireless and plug the second router into the primary router via the LAN to LAN port.
Connecting via wireless to the second router will keep it off the primary router wireless but still use your normal connection.
You can't use two routers as modems on the same ADSL connection simultaneously if that was what you were after.
Community Veteran

Thank you DomS, I could try that, but your last paragraph rather stymies it I think.
I spoke to Logitech about the problems I was experiencing but didn't get very far, they'd not heard of it before, but were also declined to inspect the device as in all other respects it was known to be working correctly and blamed my home network setup. With the TV cam connected my router (Netgear DGN 2200v3) will apparently handle at least another wireless device if required.
Thanks for the info anyway. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have a HH2 as an access point & voip gateway connected to my main router. As Dom said disable the dhcp server and connect LAN-LAN and give it a static ip out of your normal range (I use .252) Then have the wifi with a different ssid and either have it on auto or manually put it on a different channel than the gateway one.
Devonian
Grafter

I know financially this may not be possible, but have you thought about purchasing  a smart TV?
They have the Skype app built in, as well as a camera.
I have the series 8 Samsung, and Skype on it.  It is amazing.
You can sit back on the sofa, feet up, and use the controller to alter the camera zoom and position so you are broadcast fully and correctly to the other person.
Community Veteran

In short, yes, I had thought about it, but for a once a month call it does seem a bit OTT. Most of the rest of the family use Skype, but not to us!!

Community Veteran

One other option I've thought about is to buy SWMBO a "cheap" tablet with Skype and camera built in, in the hopes she can hold it still enough so that family in New Zealand can see her. Maybe find a way of standing up for her.
Personally, I've never had a lot of time for tablets, considering them over-sized and glorified smart phones, since I have managed through life so far without having or using any fancy apps on my phone (no Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, maps,  etc.)  I see little point in buying one.
But maybe just in this instance it may work.

Community Veteran

Why not try the above to give you a separate wireless access point with your spare router ?
15 minute job to set it up - I have a few set up here as access points myself.
Community Veteran

Thank you again DomS, could you elaborate on that procedure please.
On the principle she won't use it for anything else, considering this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-inch-PRO-NEW-IMPROVED/dp/B00G7M8714/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qi...
There are cheaper one's, but screen size and the good customer reviews are attractive. A stand is available for it as well.

Devonian
Grafter

How about just getting a USB webcam, plugging it into the laptop, then balancing the camera some how near her, and plugging the laptop into the tv with a HDMI?
That way neither the laptop or the camera will need to be held?
Cheap and simple solution?
Community Veteran

Ok - firstly get spare router, reset to factory settings and make sure you can log on to it.
Give it a static IP address (or you won't be able to get back into it !)
Log back into it on the static IP address.
Disable the onboard DHCP server
Go to the wireless settings and give it a unique SSID (i.e. camera or something)
Set a password or keyphrase etc for the wireless
Plug one of the LAN ports into a LAN port on your main router.
Job done - you now have a wireless access point which you can connect your camera up to which will talk through your main router but not interfere too much with your existing wireless network.
Community Veteran

@Devonian What I've been doing up till now is to mount a webcam onto a camera tripod (the type that has a removable camera mount in the pan and tilt head) held on the p&t with strategic elastic bands.
IIs a little difficult to explain but placing the PC (for viewing) on an adjustable height  table near her recliner chair results in it being too high up for comfort, due to her disability (MS being one of them) her legs are in almost constant movement which makes using it as a "laptop" almost impossible, hence the comment in the OP. And anyway the tables available don't let themselves be placed well for this.
The thought is to adapt the camera mount which has a standard camera (1/4 Whitworth) screw, screwed into a small flat plate that a tablet could be stood on at a comfortable height using the tripod rise and fall centre column for height adjustment. The same arrangement used for a very much heavier laptop may be too much for the tripod to cope with and a bit unwieldy anyway. Its a camera tripod I have available, not one suitable for weighty film studio movie cameras.
Its just a thought to make the Skype experience better for Mrs P, when viewing problems always seem to spoil it for her  I'm not even sure the screen down-size to a tablet will be much appreciated either.
@DomS thank you.

Devonian
Grafter

I understand what you mean.
Let us know what solution you come up with.
Community Veteran

Well, something quite unexpected happened today; number two son called in to visit his Mum, waxing lyrical about FaceTime (the iPad near equivalent of Skype) and happily demonstrated it, and I must admit it does indeed seem to work rather well.
The disadvantage, I don't and have never had an iPad. So number two son simply ordered one for us to be delivered in the next day or so (and he paid for it as well) Seems unknown to me some of the rest of the family already use FaceTime.
So with no effort on my part we seem to have got to the last option I suggested. whether Mrs P will be able to get on with a touch screen will remain to be seen, but that would have always been an unknown if we had gone down the Android tablet route.
I'll let you know how it goes.