cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV volume

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV volume

When watching TV either with Freeview or Sky, the comfortable volume level indicated is around 32. When using a DVD player connected via HDMI the TV volume has to be increased into the upper 80+'s just to be comfortably audible. This can vary slightly between DVD's, some needing more volume increase than others, but not that much.

In my wife's nursing home where, I have installed a Humax PVR (also via HDMI) which has its own volume level control, this has to be set at maximum, and the TV volume set at maximum just to be able to hear it.

I've had a number of different brands of Blu-Ray/DVD player's, they all seem to be afflicted with this problem. The PVR I'm not so familiar with.

Ok I have poor hearing, but its not so bad I have to use my hearing aids when watching TV, certainly my wife doesn't complain the volume is too loud.   

Anybody else have this, or know of a fix that is nor very obvious in any of the various settings?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: TV volume

I find something similar with my Humax HDR-FOX T2, although not as extreme as you describe.  Even in the days of video cassettes the volume had to be turned up when watching videos.  Many - and certainly my cheap Hitachi - flat screen TVs have poor quality speakers so adding better quality ones might be worthwhile.

Fixes: 121

I use an A-V system when watching streaming content or DVD movies.

I find a large difference in volume level between DVD and live TV sound so need a finger on the remote's volume control when switching sources.

I have found that the 'auto volume' setting on some TVs doesn't really help.

One particular aspect of sound levels is when, for example, watching the national news and our local news.

The sound level difference between the two programmes can be enough to have me reaching for the remote.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Perhaps you are using "external speakers"   such as soundbar ?  which is ( maybe ) plugged into the phones output socket  ? 

I am not sure... BUT... from my own experience, it seems to me that the phones output level is "fixed"  to prevent hearing damage... 

I mention this, because I have a tv on my desk that I use with phones... and the volume seems to be "just" a tad low to me... and no matter if I bump it up to 100 on the remote control... it stays the same...  This is the same level for TV programs, or Music Videos on a USB stick.... when playing the Music Videos on the laptop from the USB stick... the volume level on the laptop is set about one quarter of the max, and sometimes that has to be reduced on certain music tracks.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 32

@petlew - This may be totally moot, but I have a Humax PVR, Samsung BluRay, Bose Soundbar and Samsung TV and this combination also suffers with the same issue you describe, or rather I should say did suffer.

What I have done is to connect the PVR and BluRay to the Samsung TV hub using their HDMI and then connected the optical out from the Hub to my Bose sound bar. I then configured the TV to tell it the audio source is via the Optical I/O (on my TV this has the effect of turning off the TV's internal speakers).

How you do this on your set I can’t say unless is is similar to mine, but this for me negated the differences in audio as the Bose is used to amplify the audio so my default listening level applies regardless of what device I use. But if I need to change the volume up or down I can use either the PVR, TV or Bose remotes to do this.

If you don't have a Samsung TV with the Hub and you can get a multiple Optical I/O switch then it may well be a possible solution for you.

Edit:- A quick look on Amazon and these devices are available for example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LPHJI4Q

Community Veteran

@shutter. No, only the installed speakers, or occasionally a sound bar connected with the optical option. As said in the OP the players of all types are connected with (hi-speed) HDMI.

I did try using the phono connections, but if anything the volume levels were slightly lower.

It seems to me the sound volume loss issue lays with the players rather than the TV’s, but could be wrong about that of course.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Same problem for me.

Fortunately I can have the sound bar on via the optical connection and have the tv speakers on at the same time, lucky for me the sound can be adjusted on the handset at the same time for both sound bar and tv.

There are times when a pvr recording is played the volume on both is near the 80+ mark and that's with hearing aids.

So it seems this is a common problem with pvr's.

I have a Panasonic prv.

As the volume increases past a certain point the clarity gets worse.

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I rarely use external devices but I have noticed there is a difference when using the sound bar with the YouView box and the TV.  

I've also noticed how the music at the beginning & ad breaks is somewhat considerably louder than that of the programme itself on all channels, so I'm constantly using the volume control.

I think there was a campaign about that a few years ago. 

Community Veteran

Well interesting, I moved my Samsung DVD player (with its poor sound) to my wife's nursing home, leaving me temporarily without a player at home.

So since I had the need for a player that will play Blu-Ray and DVD's that were not purchased in this country, I decided to pay a little more (quite a lot more actually) for an appropriate player that may play them. I'm being careful with my words here as I'm not sure what the legality of such devices is here in the UK. I seem to recall it is legal to buy them, but due to some of the perverse English laws, not legal to use them. Indeed such players are freely available here.

Trying out the new player (from an extremely well known Japanese maker) with of course region 2 UK and Europe discs, I find the sound levels are refreshingly in sync with the TV's requiring no volume adjustments at all. The new player has only two output options HDMI and digital optical sound, no SCART or phono connections, since my TV optical connection is already in use for the sound bar, I used the HDMI connection.

If one manufacturer can overcome the sound level difficulties with connected devices why, can't the others. I struggle to see what ulterior motive there might be for not doing so, if there is one.

I have been using home plug-in video devices practically since the were first available including VHS, Betamax, I even had a Phillips 12" VideoDisc player at one (short) time, might even have some discs around somewhere. But never had any sound level problems with them. This seems to be only something that afflicts fairly modern devices. I thought it might be something to do with the low power voltages that modern devices use these days, but the new player has a 12 volt power pack supply, so that's not the reason. 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I sometimes experience low audio levels myself, and IME there are all sorts of reasons for this, some of which I haven't managed to resolve.

I've not used a DVD (or other disc) player for quite a few years but I do remember there were settings somewhere in the Audio options of the Pioneer player I had for selecting the outputted audio format.  This might be necessary because you may be feeding multi-channel sound to a device with only stereo (or even mono) playback capabilities, and so it was possible to select the output to suit, e.g. down-mix 5.1 to stereo to suit the playback device.  Without doing so the audio information from some channels could be lost.

It's also possible that settings need to be changed in the Audio menu of (some) TVs.  On my Samsung there are options (some are sometimes greyed out) according to what audio tracks are available, e.g. a choice between PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS formats.  Sometimes changing the format helps, sometimes not