cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV sports commentators

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV sports commentators

I don't watch it all the time, but I do like to look in on the snooker from time to time.
The commentators are generally very good mostly being ex-professional players who usually know what they're talking about.
But one commentator annoys me just a bit; John Virgo, I don't doubt from a technical point of view he's as knowledgeable as any of them, but he for me has a disconcerting habit when when making a comment such as (hypothetical) "he will be very disappointed he didn't cover <a ball> for a snooker, Joe Bloggs", using the players name after the comment rather than the more logical as a prefix.
I've noticed his co-commentator begins to do it as well, whereas they normally don't. 
Feel free to open the thread to other sports as well if you wish.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: TV sports commentators

Clive Tyldsley annoys me intensely on ITV football coverage.
Will Moderate For Thanks
PowerLee
Rising Star

Suzi Perry - she ruins F1 coverage on the BBC, she can't do live tv either.
Obviously someone high up at BBC sport had the crazy idea to hire her for her looks & attract more male viewers as they couldn't have hired her for her live tv presenting skills or knowledge of F1  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Well conversely, my two favourite sports presenters are both women; snookers lovely Hazel Irving. And "A Question of Sport" (probably with Top Gear one of the best light entertainment programmes on TV) Sue Barker.
I'm not a football fan so don't watch any of it on TV, however I do sometimes while waiting for another programme to start see the end of studio football commentary, and never cease to be amazed how four blokes (pundits) can talk so much rubbish in a constant stream of clichés, repeating themselves in any number of different ways.   

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Last night I inadvertently watched a bit of football on TV.
At one point a member of the crowd was heard to shout "hold your flipping flag up" (not flipping but similar) presumably disagreeing with the official's interpretation of the offside rule.
One of the official commentators apologised.
I imagine many 'supporters' feel they could do a better job of commentating.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PowerLee
Suzi Perry - she ruins F1 coverage on the BBC, ...

+1

I miss Martin Brundle's grid walks Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PowerLee
Suzi Perry - she ruins F1 coverage on the BBC, she can't do live tv either.

Some of us don't notice what she's actually saying! Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Strat
I miss Martin Brundle's grid walks ...

He still does them on $ky F1 coverage which I refuse to subscribe to - although I do watch it using another well known method  Roll eyes (although delayed) on the weeks that the BBC don't do live coverage.
Fixes: 124

Quote from: Strat
I miss Martin Brundle's grid walks Sad

I still miss Dan Maskell (he's been dead 22 years!) and 'Whispering' Ted Lowe.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Quote from: RobPN
He still does them on $ky F1 coverage which I refuse to subscribe to

Absolutely ditto!
Community Veteran

I have to agree with Mav, for me it has to be Dan Maskell. 

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I'm not a football fan so don't watch any of it on TV, however I do sometimes while waiting for another programme to start see the end of studio football commentary, and never cease to be amazed how four blokes (pundits) can talk so much rubbish in a constant stream of clichés, repeating themselves in any number of different ways.   

I meant to mention, every three or four weeks we have a fish'n'chip supper, the best of the local chippies is run by Turks. In the shop a Turkish programmes TV is always on, more often than not a football programme is on. You don't need to speak Turkish to realise that the pundits are a straight copy of the UK format or that they are spouting the same cliché ridden drivel that our lot do, so its not just a British phenomenon.
Also incidentally, if you thought our ad breaks went on a bit you should try the Turkish ones. I have entered the shop just as an ad break starts, when I leave some 25 or so minutes later the ad break can still be on!!.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
the best of the local chippies is run by Turks
Funny that, same here. It's over 3 miles away but SWMBO insists on going there even though there are several nearer.
They are extremely diligent on freshness, quality and cleanliness.
Community Veteran

John Arlott the voice of cricket.