cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV memory jog

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV memory jog

I recall a 60's TV B&W series about a sailing warship with adventures of sea-borne daring-do with pirates, tri-corner hats, cutlass's, cannon broadsides etc. I have this vague feeling it might have starred Robert Shaw but maybe wrong about that. As a production I seem to remember it was quite well done by the standards of the time, even if the stories were a bit gung-ho.
But I can't remember what it was called?
There were quite a few TV series that could be aired again I think such as Ivanho (with Roger Moore woodenly "acting" his way through in shining armour, nothing changed there then) The Saint also Roger Moore. The Scarlett Pimpernel and many others.
Any more the Silver generation can think of that may be enjoyed by later viewers?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: TV memory jog

01. The Ghosts of Motley Hall
02. The monkees tv show
03. The goodies
deekay
Grafter

It was 'The Onedin Line'
In my opinion, an outstanding series and the opening sequence of the sailing ship and 'Dawn' from 'Sparticus', was the best programme opener ever.
It was filmed in Devon.
Hope this helps.
Keith
BryanP
Grafter

It was "The Buccaneers"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Onedin Line wasn't about a sailing warship etc.
Looking at the filmography for Robert Shaw on imdb I think what you are trying to remember stands out:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001727/filmoseries?ref_=nm_flmg_shw_5
It was earlier than you remembered!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Avast ! me `earties.... `twas Treasure Island.... and the main character was Robert Newton  !...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I enjoyed what episodes I saw of "Doomwatch"
deekay
Grafter

Sorry, jelv and BryanP.
You're correct. The program of which I was thinking was about merchants and not pirates.
I don't remember "The Buccaneers".
Cheers.
Keith

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
Any more the Silver generation can think of that may be enjoyed by later viewers?

This may jog some memories: http://bit.ly/1bPSDmK
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: BryanP
It was "The Buccaneers"

Thank you, so it was.
It led to a daft joke, asking where are the buccaneers?, reply, under his buccanhat...
But seriously, that was the series I was trying think of. Treasure Island with Robert Newton as the archetypal Long John Silver was a movie I think rather than a TV series.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Having now Googled it, it was even earlier than that being shown in the early to mid 50's. And it was Robert Shaw in the lead role.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The TV series was called.... "The Adventures of Long John Silver"......

( from Wikepedia)
He again played Long John Silver in a 1954 Australian-made film, Long John Silver. It was shot at Pagewood Studios, Sydney and directed by Byron Haskin, who had directed Treasure Island. The company went on to make a 26-episode 1955 TV series, The Adventures of Long John Silver, in which Newton also starred.

.One of the reasons why I wanted to go to sea !.. ( even though I lived in the middle of the country )...  but not as a pirate ! !   Cheesy
At one stage in my life... I did live in the house of Robert Newton,  
Community Veteran

I stand corrected shutter. I recall that series too now that you mention it.