cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV license

JamesM
Grafter

TV license

I think it is about time everybody stopped paying their TV license, one person will not make a difference but if everybody stops paying then it will. The license fee is paying a company that hides peadophiles and pays their wages. When the lawsuits begin the BBC will hopefully go the way of the news of the world. I hope someone grows a pair and shuts this lying, underhanded company down.
44 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: TV license

I think everyone is thinking the same thing but no-one wants to risk it in this country.
Everyone is scared of the consequences of standing up to the state.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JamesM
Grafter

I flicked onto a programme last night where a woman with cancer was saying when she was 14 Saville asked her for oral sex and he would take her to the TV station, she did, and when she got there Saville's dressing room was full and G.Glitter was having sex with an underage girl. Where is the pride of all the BBC workers who knew about this, saying nothing probably for fear of losing their jobs. You have to draw the line somewhere and stand up, not cower into a corner.
I remember watcing a film with Jon Voight called runaway train with Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Mornay, Rebecca De Mornay said to Jon Voight "Your'e an animal!", and Jon Voight replied, "No, worse! Human. Human!"
Community Veteran

I agree it's totally disgusting and the fact that the BBC knew and allowed it to continue sickens me. The BBC is known across the world for leading an example and they've effectively been taking the mick out of our nation for years. To top it all off, we've been paying for it.
Something must be done. When British Rail couldn't perform properly they were stripped of their trains and rails and the whole system was privatised.
Why shouldn't the same happen to the BBC? They're clearly broken from the top down.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Bah! You've all been fooled and manipulated by all the other media companies in their quest to distroy the BBC. These other media companies have suppressed their own skeletons over this matter and have deliberately focused only on the BBC issues.
Community Veteran

So why is the BBC news covering it with just as much interest then?
Community Veteran

I think many are guilty of wearing blinkers. I believe this problem is rife through showbiz circles along with what seems to be almost compulsory drug taking.
Think back to the 60's-80's. All those hoards of teenage girls, and some boys, screaming at their pop idols. Scratch under the surface and I think you'll find many got involved in some unsavory shenanigans. Saville wasn't alone and I bet they wasn't his groupies at the start.
Some clearly got a taste for this and carried on in their later years as a few pop convictions show.
Saville will be just the first of many. I wonder if he kept any diaries or records?
I expect a few celebs are already booking their holidays abroad but omitting to buy returns tickets.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Sprite
So why is the BBC news covering it with just as much interest then?

Because they are pretty much forced to do so as everyone else is pushing it. If they didn't they'd end up being accused even more of ignoring the situation. Also BBC news isn't what it used to be, with proper journalists and less of pushing an agenda set by the head of news.
Community Veteran

I can see the reasoning for the suggestion of witholding TV license fees but I can't agree with it.
What has gone on at the BBC (and undoubtedly elsewhere throught the entertainment industry) is a terrible thing, those involved and those who turned a blind eye should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law (and removed from their positions) but the BBC is not all bad (a few rotten apples....) and still does produce some of the best programming in the world - I'd hate to loose that.
Perhaps the industry should stop paying ridiculously vast sums to the few entertainers they see as particularly popular, I'm sure there's more than enough tallent out there without having to pay the likes of Jonathan Ross* the kind of fees he gets despite having 'been in trouble' himself.
* Not 'singled out' but the only example I could immediately think of.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Agree with w23.....
Imagine someone at your workplace, is accused of (and maybe guilty of) the same kind of offences..... would you think it right that you should lose your job, and the company closed down?
Lets say you worked for Tesco. or ASDA ... and an executive did the same as JS... should Tesco and all it`s employees be tarred with the same brush, and closed down... TESCO and ASDA employ thousands of people in this and countries abroad, not to mention all the supply chain workers.... BBC is no different to them... A big company, with lots of direct employees, and lots more peripheral employees that support it, by providing programmes and services...
nadger
Rising Star

I'll be  withholding my licence fee - on second thoughts I can't as I don't pay it to start with.
Don't think one can blame the Beeb across the board for the actions of a few.
On that basis I'll have to stop going to Stoke Mandeville Hospital for my cancer/aorta CT scans.
We did notice, on Wednesday, when walking to x-ray that Jimmy Savile plaque had been removed from garden that we walk past.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Perhaps the industry should stop paying ridiculously vast sums to the few entertainers they see as particularly popular, I'm sure there's more than enough tallent out there without having to pay the likes of Jonathan Ross* the kind of fees he gets despite having 'been in trouble' himself.
* Not 'singled out' but the only example I could immediately think of.

Jonathan Ross no longer get paid by the BBC. If you believe in a free market you have to support high wages. The reason that Ross can attract high wages is that he get the viewers and companies are prepare to pay the high advertising fees when he is on air.
Community Veteran

I have to agree with Nadger and Shutter.  You can't attack a whole organization for the sins of a few.  The BBC is revered worldwide and justifiably so. 
JamesM
Grafter

I agree with some of what has been discussed, the entertainment industry is full of freaks, wierdos and wife beating sacks of [Censored]. I have a choice though, if I find someone repulsive, I don't buy, watch, or listen to their Movies or Records.
This is not a nobody, an executive at the local supermarket, this is a leading figure on TV with a lot of power, a lowlife that every body had in their home on their televisions and one of the biggest names in British TV.
"Bah! You've all been fooled and manipulated" , what an absurd thing to say. So we have all been fooled and manipulated by everyone who is out to get Murdoch too. I don't have SKY anymore because of Murdoch, so I should be given the choice of not having the BBC, hence not having to pay my license.
I am glad I started this thread, because it shows to me who are the legitimate people and who are the idiots who just type for typings sake. I have had my suspisions for a while anyway  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: JamesM

This is not a nobody, an executive at the local supermarket, this is a leading figure on TV with a lot of power, a lowlife that every body had in their home on their televisions and one of the biggest names in British TV.

I am glad I started this thread, because it shows to me who are the legitimate people and who are the idiots who just type for typings sake. I have had my suspisions for a while anyway  Wink

I was not referring to the "local supermarket" that is akin to the "local radio stations" run by the BBC...  I mentioned TESCO and ASDA as companies.... in the same way that the BBC is a company....
So your language is still suggesting that all of the employees of the BBC should lose their jobs because of your "lowlife"....
The analogy to an executive at the local supermarket, to the situation you are referring to is absolutely rediculous...
however... giving you some rope in this matter, I am assuming therefore that if "an executive of a local supermarket " were found to be in the same situation as JS.. then..... "it would be OK,"  because he is not  "a leading figure on TV with a lot of power,".....
So which side of the fence are you on now?  close down the BBC or just crucify the persons involved, and let the "normal" people carry on with their jobs and their lives....(If they had no involvement, why should they be punished?)
Oh,.... and you never said whether the company you work for should be shut down if similar circumstances applied to one of your executives? 

Who is trying to fool and manipulate now?  Murdoch, and his cohorts, got , or are getting , what they deserve..... but I don`t see his empire shut down? YOU may have your little personal protest by not having SKY,  ( I never have as I think it is an expensive con/luxury I can`t afford)... however, those that remain working for SKY and other Murdoch companies, are doing what the BBC staff do... they do their jobs, and get paid for them... They were not involved, so they do not get punished...
So who is "legitimate people", and who are the "idiots who just type for typings sake".... ? care to elucidate?