cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV licence staff get complaints guidance

alanb
Grafter

Re: TV licence staff get complaints guidance

Ooh, I had one of those 'we said we'd call' cards a couple of years ago. I found it on the hallway doormat one afternoon. I'd been at home all that day and nobody had knocked on the door or rung the bell, so I thought that it was just another transparent attempt at intimidating me into replying to their letters. As they'd not tried to talk to me, I assume they send a drone around just to stuff cards through doors.
Fixes: 225

I didn't have a TV from 2005 to 2009 and only got one letter which I ignored.
Don't forget, too, that when they do visit they have no right to enter your home unless you invite them in unless they have a warrent signed by a magistrate.
TV Licensing
I seem to remember reading that if they caution you you can just caution them back but cant find that now.
Edit: Found it;
Aggrieved by TV Licensing

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Just to add.. years ago I worked for a public department (a rather large one I might add). They had a TV in reception but had bought just a normal licence and not a public display type licence.
Yup, you guessed it, TVL went after them too. One public dept prosecuting another.. I can't remember the outcome but it got quite nasty... the figure of £3k rings a bell..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
sidewinder
Grafter

From my point of view, I would be happy if they sent me one letter stating that there is no TV licence registered for my address and highlighting the requirement that a licence is needed if I watch TV programs. Perhaps a second letter a month or two later, just to remind me in case I forgot. But 14 letters in 13months and two notes pushed through the letter box is stupid. And the wording, as I stated earlier, is intimidating. There is no doubt that this is harassment and any private company would have the trading standards agency after them if they carried on in this manner.
I hope the poor messanger from TV licensing doesn't ring the bell when I am home because he, or she, will get an ear bashing that they would wish to forget very quickly. I am happy that they prosecute people who do watch TV without a licence but harassing the innocent is just not on.