Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV licence staff get complaints guidance

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

TV licence staff get complaints guidance

http://tinyurl.com/38t9unb
TV licence fee staff have been issued with a manual advising that customers who use the words "idiots", "shambles" or "useless" are likely to be making a complaint.
Other indications that a viewer may be unhappy include use of capital letters or the phrases, "When will you people listen?", "Who do you think you are?" and "Sort yourselves out!"

Well, who'd have thought...
Not young enough to know everything
18 REPLIES
TicnTac
Grafter

Re: TV licence staff get complaints guidance

Grin
Had to smile at some of the comments  Smiley
Although, knowing that the licence does cover owning equipment, does make me wonder by reading one comment of someone boasting about his big posh plasma and freeview box, and doesn't pay a penny, if you look at the "broadcast live" clause, I wonder if you put a "buffer" system within a freebox, this would then deem it as (not live)  Undecided  Roll eyes
Do hate the TV licence  Angry
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You already have a delay.
It takes a finite time from the signal hitting the aerial until it reaches the input of the "receiver".

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: TicnTac
Although, knowing that the licence does cover owning equipment...

Nope, only watching or recording 'live' TV transmissions. Not required for using a Freeview box for radio either.
http://www.televisionlicence.info/tvl/licence
nadger
Rising Star

When do I not need a licence?
Certain groups (such as those aged over 75) are exempt from the licence programme

Not really accurate as one still has to have a licence, albeit it is free and a three year licence.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why only 3 years?
If you are over 75 it is not as if you will ever become younger than 75.  Roll eyes

nadger
Rising Star

As they have a link  with DWP they probably check that one is still alive every 3 years  Cool
A friends mother was born in Germany and she has to go to a Commissioner of Oaths, every year, to prove she's still alive before she receives her German pension.
Community Veteran

It's like the disabled badge. In theory the owner could die and then their relatives could carry on using it. Thats why they won't issue a lifetime licence but at the same time it would be daft to have a yearly one too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
sidewinder
Grafter

The TV licence managers need guidance too. I moved to my present address in Sept 2009 which is one year and one month ago. I have kept 14 letters sent to me by TV licensing who tell me that I don't have a TV licence. I haven't had a TV since 1982, nor do I watch it on line.
I have received letters with "OFFICIAL WARNING: WE HAVE OPENED AN INVESTIGATION" written in red across the letter to intimmidate me into buying a licence when I don't watch TV.
They tell me that  "Enforcement officers have been authorised to visit your property."
Does that mean that they are going to "force" me to buy a licence?
Isn't this harassment?
One letter reads " We recently warned you that our Enforcement Officers have been authorised to visit your home. Dispite this, your address is still unlicensed."
It really is unacceptable that they keep harassing people who don't have a TV. The managers do need to learn to be sensible and realise that if someone doesn't have a TV it isn't a crime. Threatening letters, 14 in 13 months, do not indicate to me that the people running the licensing office are in control of what they are doing but feel the need to intimidate people into buying a licence in order to make their job easier.
IMO the TV licensing people are more hated than traffic wardens.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Yes, it's time these officially sanctioned thugs were reined in.
I don't have, or require, a licence for fireworks, firearms, tree felling, fishing, breeding dogs, watching TV, or any number of other things.
I'm not running a brothel, or growing cannabis, or dealing in stolen goods. But,
The only hassle I get is from TV Licensing.  Sad
Community Veteran

@sidewinder: Have you had the lie detector results turn up through your door yet?
I had that many years ago - it basically states that you're lying about having a licence and they'll be on their way to see you soon. It's very intimidating and as usual ringing them up and quoting the licence number to them gets you nowhere.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: sidewinder
Isn't this harassment?

Not in legal terms, I think.
I'm in the same position as you. From what I've seen of the missives from TV licensing they seem to be very good at walking a line between legality and illegality and they are very careful not to step across the line into illegality. The letters they send to me are very close to misrepresentation in that they exaggerate their own powers, and even though I do not own a TV or watch TV, imply that I am under some obligation to them, which I patently am not.
The letters you receive are probably addressed to 'occupier' or something similar. I think this is probably their first line of defence against any sort of claim of harassment. They are pretending they don't know who you are, and by not addressing you personally, they make it harder for you to make a legal accusation in relation to harassment.
I used to get a letter from them every three years or so. Now I get one every month. In the past I was quite happy to engage with them every three years. They'd send a letter with a form on the back, which I could sign and send back, and that was the end of it for another three years. My memory may be faulty, but I think they even had a freepost address for the form. Now, the form is gone. They send out snotty letters containing implied accusions of illegal activity, and unwarranted threats of legal penalties, and I'm expected to phone them at my own expense to tell them I don't need a TV licence. This is obviously not a reasonable organisation and I no longer see any point in engaging with them. The letters I get every month usually contain some variation of the same rubbish, so I don't even bother to open them any more.
The letters are deliberately designed to make you feel distressed, intimidated, or threatened. It's all bluff. If you genuinely are not breaking the law as it relates to TV licensing, just ignore them. You have no obligations to them, and you do not have to prove anything to them - the telecommunications act that regulates television reception says so.
alanb
Grafter

By the way, don't believe that guff about 'you are being investigated'. It seems to me that this is just another intimidation tactic.
I am the legal owner of my home and have been for 20 years. That does not make me responsible for ensuring that a television licence is acquired if needed, but I'd have thought that if they were genuinely undertaking an investigation, then they would have contacted me at least once to ask who is occupying the property. It's easy to find out who I am using the address and public records. So contacting me would be an easy and logical early step, but it's never happened yet.
sidewinder
Grafter

They have been to my door twice because they put a note through the letter box. On the front of the note it states "We said we'd call." It then goes on to explain that they visited me because I don't have a licence and that they will call again soon.
This is mad but I guess it keeps a few people in a job.
I'm not so sure that it couldn't be classed as harassment because the fact that they are addressing the letters to "The present occupier" is surely enough to indicate who is being targeted. I do think though that if it could be supported in court as harassment someone would have done it by now. Perhaps, if an elderly person could persuade a kind hearted judge (if there is one) that these letters genuinely made them feel scared or intimidated, the judge may be inclined to rule in favour of the charge of harassment if one also takes into account a continuous barrage of letters, which would indicate a concerted effort on the part of the licensing people to solicite a response which is not required by law. I would like to know if anyone, or any group, has taken this to court.
Community Veteran

considered it, but frankly, it's no skin off my nose if the license payers don't get their knickers in a knot at the waste of their license fees.