Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV free licence

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: TV free licence

@Alex wrote:

I know a bit about the legal system, I did Jury Service (blessing in disguse) and have given evidence in court.

That's like saying I know a bit about the Sea, as I've been to the beach!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Not the case @Mook is it actually quite difficult.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I guess if you are on a full state pension and a good private pension then continuing to pay after the age of 75 is no problem.

If you are on benefits it remains free.....but.....

There must be millions of people over the age of 75 who miss out on benefits because they are just over the financial threshold who will be hit hard with this change.

A few might be willing to take on the BBC and not pay but the majority of elderly people do not want a load of hassle and are far more affected by bullying tactics from the authorities than younger people are so would likely pay up to make it stop.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

If you refused to pay and were taken to court could you insist on a trial by jury in the crown court or is that not possible..?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@gleneagles wrote:

...could you insist on a trial by jury in the crown court...

Can't see any future in that.

If you haven't paid it's a pretty watertight case against you, no matter how high the court. 😉

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Pro

I am waiting to be asked if I have a licence before volunteer. I see no reason why I should pay the BBC to fund their political agenda.

(Off topic - Whenever I hear the word "licence" I cannot help but be reminded of the Peter Sellers Inspector Clouseau scene where he asks a street musician (a lookout for bank robbers!) if he has a license for his performing monkey.  It is a classic you can find HERE.)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@198kHz wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

...could you insist on a trial by jury in the crown court...

Can't see any future in that.

If you haven't paid it's a pretty watertight case against you, no matter how high the court. 😉

Agreed...but would they dare to take it that far....think of the bad publicity....

Clearly Noel Edmonds does not seem bothered and he is not 75 yet 

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Noel Edmonds had two cars with the same French registration number one in Bristol and another in France

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/so-whats-the-wheel-deal-noel-6589416.html

HD

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Mayfly wrote:

... concession doesn't apply to partially sighted or sight impaired. 

That reminds me of a blind man on a programme about political correctness saying something like, "I used to be blind, then I was visually handicapped, now I'm visually impaired.  I still can't see a damn thing but that doesn't seem to matter."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Didn't know that @HelloDuck 

Mind you my sister used to call Deal Or No Deal, Skill or No Skill.

Quite true when you think about it.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@gleneagles On reflection, perhaps I misunderstood your post.

If convicted in the magistrates court, then you can take it higher.

In fact Jeffrey Rudd took it all the way to House of Lords appeal in 1987, and won.

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I remember the hassle they caused me at Uni.

We lived in the accomodation and there were five bedrooms, and we had one TV. In the communial area. I think it had five floors, and I remember Birmingham had a policy of not housing women on the ground floor. That is because if someone, say a man broke in and done something nasty to a woman. I think we can hazard a guess what that would be.

I have no idea what goes through some people's minds, and I am so glad I never will.

Right, sorry a bit back on topic now. I bought one license for the building under the address we lived at and someone who lived there before us got a license with Room 5, and the house address.

As it flagged up as an unlicensed address we were getting nasty letters, so I call them up:

Me: "We have a license? Why am I getting these letters?"
Them: "Oooh do you have separate tenancy agremeents?".
Me: "Yes".
Them: "Do you have separate locks on the doors".
Me: "Yes, on the 5 bedrooms".
Them: "You'll need one per room".
Me: "Eh, it is the same address and property".

In the end I used my legal brain and the housemate who actually lives in room 5 didn't have a TV. So I ticked the box saying "There is no TV at this address". Which is true as he didn't.

Never heard from them again. They're a bunch of arrogant bullies.

So technically then, if I install a lock on my door and my other room and rent my spare room out we would both need a license? Even though it would be the the same property. Answers a postcard on how that works?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

But they are de-criminalising not having a TV licence so talk of Crown courts do not apply.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

They have talked about it but has it actually been done yet?

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@Jonpe Nope not changed yet and dont hold your breath waiting for it to happenHuh

I gather the letter the BBC is sending out explaining the change to over 75's is 10 pages long. That should confuse them then!!!!Roll_eyes